Cracked radiator - Is this guy full of sh*t?

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
itstodd
Car: 2008 EX-35 Journey AWD

I have my EX35 at the dealer for service and I told him my wife saw the car run hot for a period this week but it went back down and it has been fine ever since. He said the radiator had a small crack in it and it was sucking in air. Smells like BS to me. What do you guys think. Is this possible?

NJGuy
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX35 Journey AWD

Yes, it's possible. While the issue isn't widespread, I don't think it's uncommon either. it happened to my EX last year at 115K miles, and it happened to a few others here with less mileage. I don't know how many miles you have on the car or where you live, but do keep in mind that the car is at least 9 years old and problems like this can start to present themselves no matter how reliable the brand is.

If the dealer service department didn't top off the coolant, I would first check the fluid level in the reservoir as well as the radiator itself (of course when the car is cold). If the radiator is in fact cracked, there should be at least a little bit of fluid loss and the level should be low. If you want to be sure, I'd bring the car to a mechanic you trust and have him run a pressure test on the cooling system. That would confirm whether or not there is a leak.

itstodd
Car: 2008 EX-35 Journey AWD

NJGuy, thanks for the reply. You and I have the same car, 2008 EX-35 Journey AWD. Mine only has 80K on it but sometimes I think age has as much to do with these types of things as mileage.

Bocatrip

Cracked radiators are common for the EX. Do your research...Buy a new radiator. You have a great car.. Bite the bullet and enjoy your ride. YOU are lucky to own such a reliable car. Thank your stars!

Teknical
Car: 2014 QX50 AWD

Many of us have had our radiators crack.

AWGD8
Car: 2008 EX35 AWD JOURNEY

My 2008 EX35 AWD (80k miles ) radiator was also replaced right before my extended warranty ended.
I told service dept to check for any issue that covers by the warranty.

- I complained about a tiny oil weep by the engine camshaft manifold gasket area (driver side)
I do hate Infiniti engine for this common issue. My 2015 Q40 at 7k miles has that issue as well same area.

- I told them I saw some green colored solid wax coming from the inner side of the radiator.
Found out I have a cracked radiator.

The weird part was, when I brought my car to another dealership a year ago to fix the oil leak behind the timing chain cover ($3000 bill under warranty) they also ordered some cheapo
Radiator leak sealer. ( I had to google and investigate the actual parts they ordered)
Found out this dealer is scam. ( Infiniti Waukesha , WI) They did a crappy job reinstalling back my front bumper, broke some studs in my front grill. ( I believe I documented this issue here in the forum with pics) After that I went to another Infiniti service dept. ( Infiniti Glendale, WI) and they did finally replace the radiator.

Both issues were fixed under warranty. :dblthumb:

BTW, here is my Infiniti Waukesha , WI experience. Please stay away from their service dept.

post6656196.html#p6656196

mikey1951
Car: 2008 EX 35

I had participated in another thread regarding stalling issues and have recently found via an indy shop that the ECT sensors has an influence on air/fuel ratios in the ECU which can cause stalls. I say this because I just replaced my cracked radiator for $635 out the door. This is a Murray product and recommended by my local shop. I was simultaneously dealing with a leaking radiator and stalling issues and it seems the new radiator may solve my stalling issues.
I WOULD NOT LET A STEALERSHIP DO THIS JOB - GO TO YOUR TRUSTED INDY SHOP. You need to build a relationship with these guys - it will pay off!!

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”