Crabbing anyone? tips?

Hiking, fishing, hunting, boating, biking, travel and recreation-related discussion forum
MastaYu
Car: 92 240SX HB SE

Anyone go crabbing? Not neccesarily the stuff you see on Discovery Channel (Deadliest Catch), but some beach crabbing? I would like to go to the beach and do some of that. Any tips or experiences?

drksolest
Car: 91 240sx coupe

I found something for fishing for crabs from the beach... http://www.ehow.com/how_442394...p_artBut that's at Myrtle Beach...

Here's something for MD...http://www.dnr.state.md.us/out....html

Here's a really important one to read...http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fis...l.pdf Hope this helps a little

Rex
Car: None

Really need to be on a peer to do good crabbing.

I used to go crabbing at a family place down of the Severn River many years ago. We'd tie some kite string to the plank or a post on the peer and then tie a piece of raw chicken on the other end and wait. When you see the lines start to wiggle (or just give them a little tug) slowly pull the chicken up and then scoop the crab up with a net.

Good fun.

MastaYu

Awesome thanks for the help and tips guys. Pretty siked about going this Friday. Already bought one of those crab pots that open up on the sides when of hits the ground, but the chicken on the string sounds more exciting and fun.

HashiriyaS14
Car: 95 S14, 08 CL9, 08 NPS50, 03 Ninja 250, '60 Super Cub

My Dad is currently looking to buy a house on the water in St. Michael's Maryland, and it will allow us to hang out as many as 4 crab pots at any time.

I'm DEFINITELY going to be catching myself some crab, especially softshells. Maryland boys grow up with a chemical dependancy on softshell crab. I accept no other presentation than fried, on untoasted white bread with a remoulade (use home made mayo ONLY, no substitutes accepted).

I made Singapore-style "chili crab" with Chesapeake blues the other day, it was positively epic. The hot Siracha with the tender, sweet crabmeat with steaming hot rice and lots of lots of Soju. Usually you do it with Dungeness, but it worked well with blues.

MastaYu

HashiriyaS14 wrote:My Dad is currently looking to buy a house on the water in St. Michael's Maryland, and it will allow us to hang out as many as 4 crab pots at any time.

I'm DEFINITELY going to be catching myself some crab, especially softshells. Maryland boys grow up with a chemical dependancy on softshell crab. I accept no other presentation than fried, on untoasted white bread with a remoulade (use home made mayo ONLY, no substitutes accepted).

I made Singapore-style "chili crab" with Chesapeake blues the other day, it was positively epic. The hot Siracha with the tender, sweet crabmeat with steaming hot rice and lots of lots of Soju. Usually you do it with Dungeness, but it worked well with blues.
Dam it! im getting all hungry now

Return to “The Great Outdoors”