Coupe or Sedan???...man..this sucks!

A general discussion forum for G35 and G37 owners and a great place to introduce yourself to the NICOclub G-Series Forums!
QX4MIkey
Car: car audio , web design

I've been pondering what I should get for my next ride... I like the coupe (because its a 'COUPE'), but I saw a sedan with some nice wheels and lowered just a tad with the factory Aero kit (looks like) and it just looked B - E - A - Utiful!!

I wish the Coupe came with the same AERO kit that the sedan has.....

What to do, what to do.....:oface :(

rydwhite
Car: 2003 G35 Coupe

Well, it depends on what you will be using it for. If you are keeping the QX4, then you have a vehicle for carrying people, so get a coupe. If you are getting rid of the QX4 and still want to be able to carry people comfortably then get the awd sedan. I of course am a bit biased towards the coupe. While the sedan is nice, it is too common around here with middle aged house wifes. And, in my opinion, it doesn't look as good stock as the coupe. While you can make the sedan look really nice with some wheels and a nice aero kit it still doesn't look as good as the coupe in my opinion. Is there a sexier car for under $35k than the G coupe? I don't think so. If you want a practicle car, then get the sedan; if you want a fun toy, then get the coupe.

kysrsoze
Car: Driving fast

Yeah, that's a hard one. How old are you? I'm in my 30's and I really like the coupe, but I've gotten a little tired of seeing them and I wanted something I can live with. If you like the Z a whole lot, the coupe is the one to get, but I think it looks more like a toy, whereas the sedan looks more like a European car. I have always loved the sedan and didn't blink an eye when I bought mine. Plus, the stereo sounds better on the sedan - no subwoofer with the coupe.

Regardless of which one you buy, you should spend the extra cash to get the aero package (spoiler) - much more aggressive looking. Of course you can't get the aero with the AWD sedan, so you'd have to have the dealer install it.

BTW - the sedan is NOT boring to drive. The difference in speed isn't really noticeable and the sedan is an absolute blast to drive. You'll smoke a lot of cars in either one. The only thing I regret is not getting the 6-speed MT, but then again, it'd be kind of a pain in Chicago traffic.

CentralCommando

I agree with Kysr. I test drove both and while the coupe had a bit more oomph to it the sedan was great to drive. The coupe's looks I thought were better than the Sedan as well. But What decided me on the Sedan was two things:

1. I wanted AWD, which is not available in the coupe, although it might be in a year or two.

2. The coupe had some blind spots out the rear window that I found rather annoying.

vq35de
Car: G35 Sedan Leather 6MT

Sedan, sleeper. Nothing like the looks on the Mustang GT drivers when you beat em off theline and to the end of the interstate ramp.

Even better are the looks on the LT1 camaros when you take them at the dragstrip following their missed or slow shift (the two cars are that close)

The coupe looks fast, the sedan, looks like ... well ... a sedan!

You can't lose.

The sedan 6MT is every bit as fast as the coupe 6MT, (yes, I will put up or shut up, call me out coupe owners). it weighs less than the coupe and has every bit of the coupe's 280 horses.

Good luck, wish I had a life that allowed a coupe but the sedan fits me very well.

And at the time I bought you could get a coupe at MSRP and a sedan at just over invoice

g35driver
Car: Power kite flying

Hello,Seems like we have a few sedan fans speaking up. I'll have to join in. Eventhough I wanted the coupe the sedan has turned out to be very practicle, sporty, and eye catching ride. My passingers love the reclining rear seats and everyone enjoys the bose system. The caribbean blue stands out in a parking lot & turned out to be the rare color that's hard to find. My vote is for the coupe if your single with no kids and the sedan for the married with or without kids. However one needs to sport the sedan to give it curb appeal upgrade to the new chrome rims and aero if possible. Kev...

fshrmn

Personally I like the looks of the sedan with spoiler better than I like the coupe. The extra room is great. I also think the 6mt sedan is just as quick as the coupe. Without the spoiler I think the sedan is sorta blah.

QX4MIkey

Since I have kids...I might opt for a Sedan, but before I had kids, I used to ride around in a Turbo Eclipse (97) and that car was really fun... I 've driven the Sedan numerous times (Loaner) and they are quite fast...

I dunno, we'll see what hapeens.

Mike

Ghettokracker71

COUPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Or mod the 6MT sedan to have the same power as the coupe,heh heh heh.

QX4MIkey

i think ill wait for the 05 models!

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

The coupes are just gorgeous.But the Sedans lesser price and similiar performance would likely win me over.

In the end the 2 choices are so close that it might depends on what kind of deal one could get for a close-out..

Fred..:)

QX4MIkey

After reading the new 05 changes...I think I like the 19" wheel deal and more HPs....definitely something I want to wait on...

I hope they dont change the look/exterior tooo much.

Mike

rydwhite

Well, then that settles it your getting the coupe sport model. That is the one with the 19's and 295hp. The sedan gets kicked up to 280 I believe, but no 19's. I am pretty sure that the exterior didn't change for the coupe. There were some very minor changes to the sedan, but they make the car look better in my opinion.

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

I gotta wonder if it will also be upgraded with an increased price. My logic says yes. Especially with the 19's. I'm sure that will probably be an option though. I gotta wonder what kind of deal I can score with a 04 model closer to the release of the 05? I can;t wait to see more details of all the changes to the coupe. They just better not do what they are doing to the Sedan's interior. I hate it.

GeeThreeFive

I have the coupe and I love it. When I was at the dealership I didn't know which one I wanted. The salesman told me(I don't know if it is true), there were less coupes made than sedans. I was looking for something that was different so I got the coupe. I am a married and 41 yr. old . We also have a Tahoe, so it works out okay. The spoiler can be added aftermarket. I really got taken on my spoiler from the dealership. I wouldn't have got any extras from the dealership had I known what was available online. When the '05's come out they will probably be making some good deals on the '04's.

rydwhite

C-Kwik wrote:I gotta wonder if it will also be upgraded with an increased price. My logic says yes. Especially with the 19's. I'm sure that will probably be an option though. I gotta wonder what kind of deal I can score with a 04 model closer to the release of the 05? I can;t wait to see more details of all the changes to the coupe. They just better not do what they are doing to the Sedan's interior. I hate it.

There is something like a base $250 increase in price if I am not mistaken. I don't know if they increased prices for options as well though.

MOTOP
Car: 04 G35 sedan

C-Kwik wrote:I gotta wonder if it will also be upgraded with an increased price. My logic says yes. Especially with the 19's. I'm sure that will probably be an option though. I gotta wonder what kind of deal I can score with a 04 model closer to the release of the 05? I can;t wait to see more details of all the changes to the coupe. They just better not do what they are doing to the Sedan's interior. I hate it.

C-Kwik, your thinking is a smart one. Especialy now that it is confirmed that all HP changes from 04 to 05 come only from ECU.My bet is something like invoice or 200 over. Whatever you do, don't get the upgraded sound system as a standalone option. For $900 is POS imo. I upgraded speakers on my stock 120watt system to Focals and the sound is unbelievably better than that of the G35 loaner with a premium package. Sport package is a must on 04 Sedan imo. For only $450 you get better looking rims (my opinion), stiffer suspension, and most importantly you don't get Good Years RS-A, but GS-D which is way better tire imo.

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

Where did you hear the only change made to achieve 295 HP was the ECU? I haven't heard anything yet. I speculate it can be true, but I want to know how credible that is.

rydwhite

It makes sense that the ECU would be the upgrade. I can't think of anything else that would really improve 15hp that they would do. I believe I have read that the redline in the '05 has been moved to 7000 rpm from 6500 rpm. This would be an ECU change if I am not mistaken.

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

This will likely be the last easy hp upgrade.The VQ series is bone stock reliable, but this has got to be the limit for power and revs while maintaining a high degree of OEM reliability.

Fred..:)

rydwhite

Yeah, there isn't much else out there. Once you've done I/H/E and ECU, you really start spending money and the work gets a bit more complicated.

louiegz
Car: 2003 BMW 330i, 2007 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Many years ago, my father told me when I was buying my first new car, "Don't buy a coupe. It's hard to get into the back seat." I was going to buy a 94 240sx, instead I got a 94 Honda Accord. I tell you, the old man was right. Anytime you want to put somting in the back seat, just open the door. Makes life easy. I had that Honda for 9 years and I dont see how I would have managed in a coupe. If this G will be your only car, then get the 4 door.

sillyverts13

The sedans lines are incredible. If you are going to buy a coupe id say go with a 350z (no back seats). Im sure whatever you chose you'll go nuts about (in a good way)

Return to “G35 and G37 General Discussions”