Counting Down The Days To Spring

From wax to washes, the Detailing Forum should be used for questions and ideas concerning exterior and interior cleaning and appearance
SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

So if you are like me the temperature is below freezing and the roads have a covering of whitish gray salt byproduct that is like a magnet to your cars finish. Having my first black sedan that tried to take on some briny camouflage has got me using the internet to research my favorite warm weather past time, detailing. For years I have spent countless hours cleaning,waxing, and restoring my personal cars, my wifes cars and I used to do a fair amount side work for friends. I learned the art of detailing over the course of a working for Mercedes and Nissan body repair facilities. There were days when no mechanical work was needed so when I would talk with my co-workers, and I learned some valuable information. Although I left the body repair side of the business behind having a car to be proud of is more important to me than having a fast car.

I will be the first to admit that I do not know everything about anything, however I am trying to learn more. With some time and patience you can make any car look as if it were still new or better. With all the products on the market and brand loyalty that rivals sports fanaticism. Whatever products you decide to use the correct application is crucial to the outcome, that is a lesson that I learned early on. Recently I have been talking with other detailing aficionados and professionals about the best products and methods of application. Depending on your budget there are countless products on the market that make all types of wild claims, that either do not live up to their expectations or do but just do not produce the best possible results. In some of my window shopping I have stumbled upon products that cost more than a Versa. I assume a product that in many cases would require a small personal loan to procure works like nothing one could imagine, but since I am not detailing a 1937 Bugatti nor am I Ralph Lauren this is not the ideal product for me. Some of the larger companies with large marketing budgets have a tendency to put their products everywhere accompanied by low resolution images.

In the past I have just gone to my local generic auto parts store and stared at the backs of product brand names and marketing hype. This year though I am going to do it right, I am going to try something new. My New Years resolution was to take better care of my car (something I may actually be able to do ). So I was looking at pictures and reading product information from several sources both sponsored and non biased online. This year I think I am going to follow the advise of many satisfied customers and go with The Zaino Brothers products. Although many of the guys I know who use these products have Vettes and Porsches and are always more than willing to tell you about their cars in great detail, once you get down to it though I think they are on to something.

Compared to other top of the line products their products are very reasonably priced and their results are second to none. I am going to apply these products to my wifes RSX and my J once the weather permits. Until then I will continue to use my large box full of what I thought was the good stuff. My garage contains a great challenge for any product. The Acura has been a daily driver in metropolitan traffic since day 1. My J looks like it has had an interesting past, it has been repainted but shows no signs of body repair other than some water sanding that was missed. Clay barring and maybe even a wash with Dawn are in order for both cars and a start from scratch is required. The RSX is silver and while it appears clean there are many small fine scratches and the finish needs some help, and my car looks a bit old.

What I am getting at is what are the opinions of some of my fellow Nicoers on this topic? Got any pics? I am not here to try to sell any products and I hope some of the other readers of this can put their 0.02cents on this. Cleaning and detailing is a sure sign of spring and just ranting about it for a while made it feel like it was actually above freezing.

These are my "befores"

marlin29311
Car: 2008 Infiniti G35x

Lol - I'm with you Steve...I actually broke down yesterday and went to a local car wash to get the salt and crap off my car....I promptly returned home and froze my a$$ off and waxed my car in my garage...it was 26 degrees outside, and about 43 in the garage...but it needed it...I go stir crazy when I can't wax at least once a month...

Give me warm weather or give me death!

Return to “Detailing Forum”