Could FOG LIGHTS drain a battery in 3 minutes?

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
ANJIE003
Car: 2012 INFINITI M37

HELP!
I just purchased a 2012 Infiniti M37 with 36k miles almost 2 months ago (its now @ 40K).

I had to use my FOG LIGHTS for all of 3-5 minutes before pulling into a gas station. I powered off the car while I ran inside, but when I returned to start it only made a "fast clicking sound" and my power seats were clicking and moving veeeeeeeeery slow too, trying to adjust to my settings. Mind you, the interior lights, headlights, radio, key, windows all worked perfectly fine.... I don't know IF in fact it is the fog lights (which I used for all of 3 minutes before pulling into gas station and turning off car) or if it could be something else.
HAS ANYONE HAD THIS ISSUE BEFORE... I've only had the car for 2 months if that.

:confused:

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

Seems a bit early for a battery to need replacing, but it is possible. Infiniti's are well known for playing tricks when the battery gets low on cranking amps. It's possible the battery is not dead, but is too weak to start the engine with any extra drain pulling amps from it. You should have a warranty so have Infiniti test the electric system to make sure there isn't also an alternator or related electrical problem as well. Both the battery and other repairs should be covered at least partially.

Panzer Leader
Car: 2012 M37S; Formerly owned a 1994 Infiniti J30t and 93.5 G-20.

I doubt it, unless the battery was extremely low...... I would suggest two things... If you can check the battery cells for water. If low, add distill water to proper level... Second, Autozone can pull a check on the alternator.... I am still getting use to the car. I turned it off with my foot on the brake pedal. This leaves the car in the accessory mode. Next morning the battery was dead.... But, I see no way that it could have drained the battery in 3 minutes.

Panzer Leader

I doubt it, unless the battery was extremely low...... I would suggest two things... If you can check the battery cells for water. If low, add distill water to proper level... Second, Autozone can pull a check on the alternator.... I am still getting use to the car. I turned it off with my foot on the brake pedal. This leaves the car in the accessory mode. Next morning the battery was dead.... But, I see no way that it could have drained the battery in 3 minutes.

ANJIE003
Car: 2012 INFINITI M37

Thanks. I took it back to the dealership and he hooked up this little handheld machine to the battery. and it said pass. Should he have looked into it further?

TheMajesticKing
Car: '11 M56S Aero

I'd replace the battery. The battery on my old m56 was pretty much dead and I replaced it with a cheap battery and it fixed all of my issues. My current m56 had the same issue with the battery being less than 3 years old and I replaced it with a redtop. All is well and my lights are much brighter too

Panzer Leader

My battery went dead this morning... I was using my air pump to check the tire pressures. Had car in accessory mode (engine off) for all of 20 minutes. No other load on the battery. My conclusion? The OEM batteries are pretty much worthless after 3 years. I will be getting a new one soon. But first, I will see what the Dealership says. But whatever battery I get, it will be a monster.

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

Yeah ... the OEM batteries from Infiniti tend to be short-lived unfortunately.

I'd recommend something else for sure - the last time, after going through a few OEM ones, I decided to just get a top of the line Interstate (cost me about $110 to $120 as I recall) and it was an easy DIY replacement.

Z

Panzer Leader

Dealership replaced battery under warranty. Also, there was an Infiniti Tech Bulletin that required the ECM to be reflashed. From what I could understand, it had something to do with the clutch on the alternator. ...... No matter, they installed a battery with more CCA, CA and Reserve time.

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”