Correct Brake Pads

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
RoyDaGeneral
Car: 2002 Infiniti QX4 2WD

I went on Amazon and ordered the front brake pads and rotors. Seller sent me brake pads that had a missing protruding fixed part, which I circled in the pic here. I'm not sure what those things are called. I need to get those pads, but it seems all sites listing them show them without those things, the reason I don't want to buy online. Any help would be appreciated.

04pathse
Car: 2004 Nissan Pathfinder SE
2008.5 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3

those are the wear indicators when the brake pad gets real low they rub against the rotor making a screeching noise to alert you that your pads are worn down and need to be replaced.
You were probably sent the correct pads but the wear indicator broke off of one of the pads.

http://repairguide.autozone.com/znetrgs ... 045f4a.gif

macgiver

thing is it's better to have the wear indicators , usually it goes on a specific side like inboard @ piston OR outboard on the "knuckle" - per caliper.Usually positioned to "pull away" from pad , yet our Hyundai has it" pushing into" pad ( picture rotors rotational friction ). Hyundai was weird - I never saw that positioning - was Factory Original and I called 2 Dealerships mechanics?? Pads that are completely symmetrical can confuse you,just KNOW the side that gets it, and has rotor "pulling away" the indicator tip from pad. The correct side is the one that TYPICALLY wears faster, as assembled proper by the factory, and the one attention to detail may be IF you experience for sure some bizarre reason that the opposite side wears more, AND you have symmetrical pads , you may swap pads w/scraper (wear ind.) R to L and switch them to THAT faster side, of course gotta be figuring out & knowing exactly what your doing here. Must see to it there is NO OTHER NEW INTERFERENCE! When doing this "swap".

qx4_girl
Car: 2003 Infiniti QX4 4x4

rockauto.com is the joint to use if you're going online for your parts. and as far as i've witnessed, they've always given me brackets and pieces of parts to do a full swap with new pieces. Otherwise, use Advanced Auto Parts, O'Reilly's, Autozone or Genden's/Carquest. Buying car parts from a host who's market base is that of Amazon's is not a good idea. the only thing i could suggest you can do is contact the seller and return them. Wouldn't even bother giving them any kind of money, so just get a refund and use a trusted source. Honest to God though, I use ebay for parts I know I can get cheap. Bought my replacement side view mirror for like $50. To me that's cheap for the kind of car I've got haha.

Good luck though! Poor service on the seller for not using a better shipping method that might have broken that piece off during shipping or shipped the broken part out in the first place. :facepalm:

RoyDaGeneral
Car: 2002 Infiniti QX4 2WD

Thanks a lot for your helpful responses. I'm educating myself on my "new" QX4 and your feedback is awesome. I found that wear indicator in the box, broken off. I can't believe they packed the rotors with the pads in one box with little to no padding, you can imagine what happened inside that box. Good news is that I contacted Amazon and they tried to get seller to issue return shipping label to get his stuff back, but they refused and wanted me to pay return shipping. Amazon then credited the entire purchase price back to my account and told me I didn't have to return them:)

qx4_girl
Car: 2003 Infiniti QX4 4x4

RoyDaGeneral wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:47 am
Thanks a lot for your helpful responses. I'm educating myself on my "new" QX4 and your feedback is awesome. I found that wear indicator in the box, broken off. I can't believe they packed the rotors with the pads in one box with little to no padding, you can imagine what happened inside that box. Good news is that I contacted Amazon and they tried to get seller to issue return shipping label to get his stuff back, but they refused and wanted me to pay return shipping. Amazon then credited the entire purchase price back to my account and told me I didn't have to return them:)
Nice! I'm glad they could work with you on a solution. That's always a nice feeling. :dblthumb:

attofarad
Car: 2001 QX4

Most replacement pad sets I've seen for the QX4 only have the wear indicator (noise maker) on one of the two pads. Both is better, since you could have unequal wear (I have) if your caliper pins are not moving properly. I check mine for thickness periodically anyway, usually when I rotate the tires, so not absolutely necessary.

yeldogt
Car: 02 Pathfinder 4X LE (X2)

I just did my front pad ..... OE from an online dealer. Only one indicator

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”