corner balance and preload

Forum for Nissan wheel fitment, tire selection, suspension setup and brake discussions.
Axoure Dragonkin
Car: '92 Nissan 240sx se

On my s13, I just got a corner balance, ride height adjustment, and race alignment (currently set for road racing because it's my DD). we also factored in weight. car handles awesome and is now sitting straight

The preloads they introduced on my car confound me a bit. Most noticeably, pass front and rear.

Passenger front is set extremely tight, I hear the spring jump when turning at low speeds (it is greased).

Passenger rear worries me a bit. It is negative loaded by 3/4 inch or so. When the car is jacked on that side there is 3/4 inch between the spring and the perch.

is this normal?

i ask because coilovers came with instructions not to adjust ride height by lowering the spring perches

according to the scales pass rear was lightest corner by 80 pounds with full tank of gas, even with my battery relocated. my battery is relocated next to pass wheel well, over the axle, if that makes sense.

ScrapnSidwayz
Car: My damn S13 is a fuggin money pithole

What kind of coilovers are they? From what I understand you are not suppose to corner balance a car by adjusting preload.

Axoure Dragonkin

they are Megan Tracks about 2 years old.

Axoure Dragonkin

i thought you did have to adjust preload otherwise you affect ride height, i was just surprised by the gap on pass rear

ScrapnSidwayz

Hopefully somebody with a bit more experience on this subject can chime in to help me explain it. But preload is usually adjusted the same because it effects how much the wheel travels when its unloaded. But to corner balance it they need to adjust the height at each corner because that will change how much weight is put on the tire. It sounds to me that although the shop did corner balance your car using preload, they didnt do it the proper way which requires adjusting the height at each corner and not the preload.
Last edited by ScrapnSidwayz on Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ScrapnSidwayz

I actually found some info on the Megan Racing website explaining how to properly corner balance your car. I knew what I was trying to say but this explains it much more clearly.

So what does all of this have to do with Megan Racing suspension components? The fact of the matter is, all of our coil-over line ups from the EZ-street coil-overs to the Spec-RS series are dual-adjustable with separate spring pre-load adjustments as well as shock length adjustability. While spring pre-load adjustment is does not need to be adjusted more than once, unless a different spring length is used, the shock length feature is critical and allows for corner balancing without affecting spring pre-load which may compromise shock travel. When a car is corner balanced, the shock heights are adjusted on each particular corner to balance the cross weights-- meaning the shock lengths are not the same on both rear corners nor on the front. As seen in the above photo, the left side of the vehicle carries more weight than the right side and has a cross weight of 54%-- all prior to corner balance adjustment. Corner balancing necessitates for shock length adjustments on each individual corner to change the effective weight resting on each tire's contact patch. Without shock length adjustability, the height would have to be adjusted through the perches that affect spring pre-load and will compromise (READ: Lose) valueable shock travel.

Axoure Dragonkin

Thanks, i guess i missed that on megans site...

I will take it back and tell them to fix it.

So how can you be sure the the ride height is correct when doing a corner balance?

Is it a matter of setting desired ride height then fine tuning it to get corner balance right?

ScrapnSidwayz

yes i believe its just a matter of setting the desired ride height and then fine tuning it

Axoure Dragonkin

i contacted them on friday and they said they'll fix it up. just gotta make time

Axoure Dragonkin

Getting fixed on tuesday

Return to “Nissan Tires, Wheels, Brakes and Suspension”