Copper Iso Thermal Spacer

The G-Series Tuning Forum is the place to discuss G35/G37 performance modifications and mechanical repair.
tollboothwilley
Car: 2003 G35 Sedan w/ NAV

Has anybody used the copper iso thermal?

it says that you should use this if it ever snows in your area and i'm curious if it is gonna make a $100 difference

chad1200
Car: 2004 G35 AT Sedan

i just got the regular one. i live in Dallas.

tollboothwilley

how much snow do you get?

i'm curious if it really makes enough difference for the extra cost, but i work in phoenix in the summer as well...

just wondering if its worth it

smockers83
Car: 2006 G35 Coupe

The reason for the copper is that it can be subjected to larger temperature variations without compromising its integrity.

chad1200
Car: 2004 G35 AT Sedan

we don't get a lot of snow here. it's usually just ice. i read around and saw people in Maryland that just used the regular one with no probs.

G_whizz
Car: 2010 G37 Coupe Sport

I'm in Canada... we get snow here in T.O. although nowhere near as much as we used to... I got the regular one and have had it since 05... never a problem

joe603
Car: 2014 Durango R/T

I think the copper gasket is gimmicky...I don't see much of any benefit to installing it over the OEM one...

tollboothwilley

smockers83 wrote:The reason for the copper is that it can be subjected to larger temperature variations without compromising its integrity.
Going from Utah Winters to Arizona summers, thats why i ask
joe603 wrote:I think the copper gasket is gimmicky...I don't see much of any benefit to installing it over the OEM one...
Thats what i was thinking...

smockers83
Car: 2006 G35 Coupe

I lied earlier, I was just assuming things, I shouldn't do that anymore. The use for the copper is this (taken from the Copper ISO Thermal explanation on everythingg35.com):

"Compatible with any type of plenum stock or modified and compatible with any type of weather hot or cold. Copper Iso Thermal also reduces heat transfer into the upper and lower plenum assembly, but the Copper Throttle Body Heater keeps the throttle body heated to prevent ice formation on the throttle body valve on very cold or snowy days. If it snows in your area use the Copper Iso Thermal to keep the TB heated while still take full advantage of the cold dense air for increased HP."

I'm guessing what it does is transfer the heat from the engine to the TB, at least that's what I'm getting from looking at the picture.

LMG_35C

There are several different configurations that Motordyne offers. There's an ISO-Thermal gasket that goes between the lower plenum and engine block that prevents the plenum from getting heat soaked, hot or cold climate. I think Tony is also using this same gasket material on the top and bottom of the spacer itself so as to reduce lower to upper plenum heat transfer as well. The ISO-Thermal Copper refers to an ISO_Thermal throttle body gasket attached to a copper heating plate. The purpose of this assembly is to isolate the Throttle Body (TB) from the Plenum. This allows radiator water to heat the TB without heating the plenum. A lower cost option is a manual valve inserted into the radiator tube leading to the TB that allows you to open and close the radiator flow so that you can turn it off during the summer and on in the winter. The TB needs to be heated in cold weather to prevent icing on the TB valve plates.Read the FAQ's and other info on Motordyne web site for more info. I have the ISO gaskets and Copper TB gasket/plate. I find that my plenum temperature remains low (good thing) in all conditions. If you're going to add the spacer, a little extra work and money to replace the lower gasket with the thermal type is worth it IMHO. The copper TB component is "icing on the cake."

Return to “G35 and G37 Engine, Drivetrain & Tuning”