Cooling system and engine temp. Gauge issue

The Nissan 300ZX (Z32) general community discussion forum
almilopez1
Car: 1990 z32

Hi All,

So I’m having issues with my engine temp gauge. It’s inconsistent. At times it works, but I noticed that when I drive for a long distance it starts to decline. With the gauge malfunction I’ve noticed that my power cooreaponds with the decline. I’ve also noticed that my engine fan becomes obnoxiously loud once I push the RPM’s passed 3k.

Here’s what I’ve done in hopes to resolve this issue:

Change coolant temp. Sensor and sender.

Is there anything else that may be causing this problem?

Side note; I’ve notice that my radiator is rusted and could use a complet coolant system upgrade. If completely upgrading the coolant system is my best option does anyone have any good brands or radiators to recommend. I’ve been looking at mishimoto rads but I have a NA Z32 and they only sell turbo rads.

Thanks all information will be gratefully accepted.

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

Generally if the car gets hot when moving at high speeds it's a bad radiator, often the result of someone using stopelak garbage. Radical temperature swings are generally due to air in the system, usually due to pinhole leaks on the tubing under the intake manifold causing small amounts of coolant loss, which leads to air in the system. Have you bumped the system completely? Good overflow? You check the thermostat?

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

'I noticed that when I drive for a long distance it starts to decline. With the gauge malfunction I’ve noticed that my power cooreaponds with the decline.'

Define more clearly just what 'decline' means, it means to go down which would NOT be getting hotter, rather the other way.

If rad is corroded then likely the water jackets in block are as well and no rad takes care of that.

DCaff300ZX
Car: .
1993 CRP TT- Modified

almilopez1 wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:30 am
Hi All,

So I’m having issues with my engine temp gauge. It’s inconsistent. At times it works, but I noticed that when I drive for a long distance it starts to decline. With the gauge malfunction I’ve noticed that my power cooreaponds with the decline. I’ve also noticed that my engine fan becomes obnoxiously loud once I push the RPM’s passed 3k.

Here’s what I’ve done in hopes to resolve this issue:

Change coolant temp. Sensor and sender.

Is there anything else that may be causing this problem?

Side note; I’ve notice that my radiator is rusted and could use a complet coolant system upgrade. If completely upgrading the coolant system is my best option does anyone have any good brands or radiators to recommend. I’ve been looking at mishimoto rads but I have a NA Z32 and they only sell turbo rads.

Thanks all information will be gratefully accepted.
You mention that the clutch fan is very loud past 3K rpm, most likely that's your temp swing cause as the fan needs to be spinning rather freely and most likely yours is bound up- a very common issue as they age.Everything else mentioned is a possibility as well, including and most likely (as with my NA that had the same issues you mention) that your heater core has a pin leak that lets in the air.
Pressure test the entire system and if nothing up front, tie into the heater core lines and pressure test that itself. The FSM also has tests and procedures that will help you out.
CSF makes a great replacement rad that won't break the bank, what I used on my TT.

Z Nation
Car: 1990 Nissan 300ZX 2 +2 non turbo, automatic, stock.

Coincidence, I just posted my experience with the rad on my newly purchased 1990 300 ZX.
It's in Technical section Radiator preventative maintenance. Might help.

Return to “300ZX (Z32) General”