Cooler Engine Temps.

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
RWDnot RICE
Car: Wheels

Is there any way to get my (black)1998 240sx running cooler, i'm going to be installing a turbo at the end of the year hopefully, and since i am from the south (alabama) where the Heat index is like 95-100+ in the summer i was wondering how i could get my car running cooler, maybe i could get some benefit from a vented carbon fiber hood..?or do they make bigger radiators that would fit my car?i have seen the dual Electric fan replacement onSRswap.com, (i'll be doing that when i have the motor out for the rebuild.) but i have heard of oil coolers and other such things, does anyone have any ideas..?

GodDrivesA240sx
Car: 1995 Nissan 240sx

You could try the cold thermostat, or whatever it's called. I'm not sure how much colder it makes the car run, but a friend has one and he says it worked great...just don't remember how many degrees cooler it ran

Nismo_Freak
Car: 89 240SX

Nismo makes a colder thermostat and a higher pressure radiator cap, I can get you those. Also a thicker radiator is a must with a turbo upgrade in the south. A nice thick dual core with a pair of T-Fal fans should do just fine. An oil cooler isnt a bad idea either for the turbo upgrade but they arent cheap.

Daunttless

A word on the oil coolers though, you should check the oils temperature, oil has a temperature range, being under that range is just as bad as being above it...

RWDnot RICE

Nismo_Freak wrote:Nismo makes a colder thermostat and a higher pressure radiator cap, I can get you those. Also a thicker radiator is a must with a turbo upgrade in the south. A nice thick dual core with a pair of T-Fal fans should do just fine. An oil cooler isnt a bad idea either for the turbo upgrade but they arent cheap.
Okay how much for the Radiator cap and colder thermostat?and any links to the information on the radiator and dual fan setup would be great! (price range would be good too)

And are these products available in any other brands..?

RWDnot RICE

Daunttless wrote:A word on the oil coolers though, you should check the oils temperature, oil has a temperature range, being under that range is just as bad as being above it...
Ah, yeah i see. that probably wouldn't be worth the trouble considering all the pipeing and all that stuff huh?

projeckDspdStar

try a tranny oil cooler as well.

gumby
Car: '89 240sx sohc

remove the sound dampening material off the inside off the hood

turtl631
Car: S14

Oil coolers don't have to be expensive, grab an oil cooler off an RX7 in a junkyard and order the plumbing and stuff from somewhere (details aren't my strong point today :)). I was gonna do it but I don't really need one...so its a waste of my time

cory2081
Car: '07 350Z

Koyo makes a better radiator for like $350 or so I think. The colder thermostat is like 20 degrees F colder I think.

180crafter
Car: Nissan 240sx

On top of that... Water Wetter. I have found nothing works better. As you can see, Im in Miami Fl, hotter than you. Also running an Sr20, which we know runs really hot. Never have had a problem over heating.

My current cooling setup:Koyo aluminum 3 row radiator, FAL twin fan set up,Nismo Therm,Greddy Radiato cap,60%H2O, 30% antifreeze, 10% Water Wetter

I think the total Cost of everything was maybe $600 bucks. If I was you, copy what has been tried and proven true.

methodchris

nismo thermostat makes the car start at 62 degrees celcius instead of 75 or something like that

silkk
Car: 94 B13, 89 S13, 07 S2000

it opens the valve on the thermostat

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”