Coolant leak / 01 Pathfinder

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
508sfox
Car: 01 Pathfinder

First post here, Hi folks.

So i have coolant leaking *what seems to be slowly* from my 01 pathfinder. I had a chain type shop check it out the day i noticed it because i myself could not spot where it was coming from. I could see it was in the rear of the engine or so i thought and the shop confirmed this however could not spot the leak. They say its the rear of the engine and attributed this to the head gasket or intake gasket, since they did not service this type of thing i figure they stopped looking after this.

After doing some looking around online it seems that pathfinders have some lines and sensors running in the back of the engine area between or around the firewall and it would seem this to be the more likely culprit as the above two mentioned problems seem to come with all kinds of issues none of which the vehicle has currently and it is still being used, No running issues, noises, smoke,overheating, just really some stains in the driveway.

Has anyone had a similar issue like this.... Any pictures of the area......

I am trying to get under it again with a mirror or something and see if i can spot something, but i am not too savvy about exactly what i am looking at /for that's why i am looking for pictures.

Towncivilian
Car: 2001.5 Pathfinder SE 3.5L 2WD A/T
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 Sentra 2.0L CVT Special
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

You can see a cooling system circuit diagram on page LC-11.

As for where a potential leak may be, I wouldn't know, sorry.

yeldogt
Car: 02 Pathfinder 4X LE (X2)

the pathfinder has what is called a crossover pipe in the back of the motor by the firewall -- it connects the two heads together. This is a known leak point. It can leak at the connection points as well as the numerous hose and sensor ports.

I would first feel under all the coolant pipes located on the passenger side of the motor - see if you see any leaking and make sure the hose clamps are tight. Both of mine occasionally drip a very small quarter size drop of coolant when it gets very cold overnight.

the

508sfox
Car: 01 Pathfinder

Took it to Nissan to get the low down on what exactly it was and where it was leaking from and they did confirm what i have been reading. It is in fact the crossover tube/pipe, they said its coming from a gasket on the passenger side,

The ugly part is of course Nissan wants to charge $1500 and take 3 days for the repair. They say they have to remove the transmission to access the area thus why the high $$$.

Can anyone give any insight on getting this fixed,I have heard getting to the area is a PITA. But im looking for some realistic labor times and maybe some ideas of what comes off to get to the area to do the fix.

Pathfinder21
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE 3.5L

Yes, I find mine, leaking, 2001 Pathfinder after the recent freeze last two weeks ago. This never happened, the car is on street parking rain/shine for 20 years. Check Engine Soon light was on for a few days. The sign was the engine was overheating....the mechanic says is the Crossover pipe behind the engine. He is asking $580 for labor., and parts extra. Online the price is $200 for this pipe and may need gaskets, probably hoses. I am looking at $800-$900. Is this reasonable? He is certain that is the only place it is leaking. :(

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

There's no room to remove that pipe without some nasty tricks. You need to take the subframe loose, uncouple the steering, remove the radiator, and shimmy the engine and subframe forward and down enough to get clearance. At our shop rates, $580 would be a bargain.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”