Coolant change 2015 Rogue

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
burrpenick
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SV
2012 Ford Focus
2015 Mustang 3.7 V6/ 300HP
1969 Plymouth Barracuda

Was HOPING I'd find more info on this procedure but didnt, so I jumped in and figured it out as I went. I did agree w/the one member that mentioned getting the plastic plugs out of the pan that covers the bottom of the radiator (and DRAIN PLUG) was a real hassle. I also broke two of the 6. But, the real disappointment was not being able to get the plastic drain plug to come out of the very ackward and DEEP cylinder that the plug is buried in (not a great design Nissan). I saw a Utube and the tech had it out in hand- it may have been a GEN 1 Rogue? BEWARE, at least on my 2015 the drain plug does NOT COME OUT! It only unscrews and then the coolant just slowly trickles out- yes, I had the radiator cap off. My last comment concerns the factory blue coolant. My Rogue has 65K miles and the coolant looked NEW. No rust/grit/discolor etc. I had decided I'd wait to see the condition of the fluid before I decided if I'd flush it out some w/distilled water. Evidently the contents of this POAT coolant and the ALUMINUM engine keep the cooling system in really nice condition- at least compared to the old steel engines using green antifreeze and water from the garden hose! I researched the various brands of ASIAN BLUE COOLANT and ended up buying PEAK, but wanted the SUPERTECH from Walmart. It appears that these are the exact same mix and most likely even the NISSAN/ZEREX and others are all made by one giant manufacturer.

Lone Wolff
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL AWD
2010 Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 5.4L
2010 Ford Fusion SEL

I changed mine last fall and also used the PEAK Asian Blue formula. PEAK was the best price I could get locally.

But I just unscrewed the single drain plug directly below the middle of the radiator. Nothing else needed to be removed. There is an access hole in that lower plastic cover to allows for that drain plug. Most of those drain plugs do not come all the way out. I imagine that's to help prevent it from being lost at some point during the procedure. Losing that drain screw and having no way to keep the coolant in the radiator would make for a bad day I think.

Yes it was a slower process than other cars and trucks I have done in the past. But not too terrible.

burrpenick
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SV
2012 Ford Focus
2015 Mustang 3.7 V6/ 300HP
1969 Plymouth Barracuda

Agreed, the pan does not have to come down...yes, I saw the access hole, but since this was the factory installed plug, was thinking that I'd better make sure to get it out w/out messing up the plug, so I lowered that pan on one side and could then see what I was supposed to be screwing out! That UTUBE Video showing the guy holding the black plastic plug w/rubber oring was what I expected, and then when the fluid started slowly dripping out I was convinced I needed to get the entire plug out. In hindsight, slow was OK, but I still dont like where the drain plug is located and only having a phillips head in plastic is kind of funky.

PS: Did you fluid look new?

Lone Wolff
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL AWD
2010 Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 5.4L
2010 Ford Fusion SEL

I honestly don't remember so I think it was not significantly different in color.

Return to “Rogue Forum”