cool engine. can I have one?

Discuss topics related to the CA18DE and CA18DET series engines.
AkaiRPS13
Car: Kyoumi wa kuruma ya bujitsu ya nihongo desu.

I have a 91 RPS13. If I were to get an engine(as opposed to a clip) what else would I need to stick it in there. I'd like to keep my AC and PS as I didnt have them in my first car and have grown a tad attached to them. Well the AC anyways. I supose the PS could go if it had to. Especialy with how much lighter this engine would be. Just how much ligher is the CA? Someone pitch the engine to me. why is your engine the best option. Besides the iron block(the engine I have has that :pface ). Oh and I already heard about the factory forged rods(very trick). Are the pistons good or just average next to the wonderful rods or something that should go. Im not after stampedes of horses, just a mild 270-290. :D jk Id be happy with 200. I heard the engine revs high, how high? my last car liked to be reved and the ka is kinda disapointing me in that aspect.Do you need powersteering after a CA swap?

Movingviolation240
Car: Big boost and flying are 2 of the 3 things I can't turn down

8000 is what I was shifting my stock CA at, 270rwhp should be no problem at all with a FMIC, downpipe, and a T3, and the PS bolts right up to the stock lines so I'd leave it, unless you want to free up like 3hp by leaving it off.

BTW the stock crank is also fordged, and the rods are shotpeined at the factory.

PaulOrlando, FL

AkaiRPS13

Wow. ive been getting some quotes for clips and motorsets and am very exited about the future possibilitys with this motor. Ive heard the sound of the SR and the way it revs and feels. my neibor got a swap done recently. he paid like 5 or 6 grand in the end and besides the fact that the SR is turbo I think I like the KA better over all. now if i get some help from friends it looks like thisll cost like less than 2k. but still Id like to see a working setup firsthand and maybe get a ride you know? the "feel" is really more important than huge hp or cheap cost. wow 270 with just that? the stock injectors will keep up? what kind of fuel pump do you recomend? you should do that right when you put the engine in right? or is the engine so much smaller that the standard one works?

CA18 RS13
Car: non-fwd japanese sports cars

use a walbro 255lr/hr fuel pump. injectors will be maxed out, go with some 440cc's off a MKIII supra or 550cc's off an 89-91 rx-7. MAFS will also be pretty much maxed out (get a Z32 one) and you will need a FCD or chip because you will also be hitting fuel cut. the CA feels absolutely nothing like a KA, its actually quite the opposite. the CA loves to rev and has very little power below 3000rpm. the seems like its going no where until the secondary intake ports open then it kicks you back. the stock turbo is a POS and you should also look into upgrading that as well as 3" piping all the way back. make sure you also change your timing belt while the engine is out (just makes it easier), and your headgasket if you want to.

CA18 RS13
Car: non-fwd japanese sports cars

btw i spent more then 6 grand when all was said and done

AkaiRPS13

6k for just the swap + headgasket + timing belt + pump? or to get it in there and all the other wonderfull things on that long list? if just the initial swap how much did you pay for the CA? because that seems a little high. unless you had it installed. for turbine how does a t3 work? is the lag on it enough that you need the t28 hybrid or did you just want the uber trick setup?

S13Drifter

CA18 RS13 wrote:btw i spent more then 6 grand when all was said and done

Number one rule about car tuning never add up the cost.

AkaiRPS13

Ineed to know just what all I need to make it work. If I got the engine, ecu and wiring harness what else would I need to get it running? power steering bolts up but what about other stuff ac, radiator,heater plumbing...........

Return to “CA18DE / CA18DET Forum”