Convince Me

A general discussion forum for G35 and G37 owners and a great place to introduce yourself to the NICOclub G-Series Forums!
minpin

About eight months ago I moved to the Seattle area - because my fiance was from here. About six weeks ago the woman went crazy on me and basically walked out of my life.

So now I'm living the single life again - I look over and see my 1999 Cougar and feel a little inadequate :D

Over the weekend I went and test-drove a BMW 330ci. I was impressed. I convinced myself that I needed either a new 330, or a used M3. But, the more I look at the G35 Coupe (6MT of course), the more I like the bang-for-the-buck. They are also still somewhat rare in the Seattle area - but BMWs are rampant (especially around Microsoft).

I can appreciate a powerful car, but I'm not going to be out drag racing. Can some folks who've maybe owned both a BMW and the G give me some insight? Obviously most people on this forum own a G and are already biased towards it - I'm looking for some convincing here.

The test drive on Saturday will probably seal the deal - if it feels as tight as the 330 then my decision will probably be made - but in case I get cold feet let's hear why you all love your G's.

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

Welcome!

Check out the Motor Trend review that compared these two cars and you will be convinced. You will get a far more reliable car, less expensive "bang for the buck", and better styling (although that is my opinion!) in the G35 - particularly the Coupe.

Z

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

-The G looks much better IMO-Its faster-brakes better-less money

Check out some G pics in our members ride section (link is in my sig)

Fred...:)

minpin

You guys are fast :)

Is there anybody in the Seattle area who bought their G35 around here? I'm trying to get a feel for how much over invoice I should be offering - or what I can expect to pay if I go with the G35.

I did check out the Motor Trend article you referred to. Out of the seven cars, the BMW was second and the G was first. If I remember correctly, I believe the BMW they used for comparison was the 325 (less power) - because of price restrictions in the article.

The G35 seems almost too good to be true. 280 HP with base model under 30K? There must be something wrong!!

gzilla

I like you live in the sound area, bought a G35x from Infiniti of Kirkland in Dec. Loving it!! They are a good dealership treated me well, but! they sell at MSRP only!! NO deals! I drove all of the same cars that everyone else has and it made the decision easy to go with the G35. BTW no one deals below MSRP on this class of car in this area.

PalmerWMD

Also yet another benefit:

You can hang with us!:jazz:

Fred....:icesangel

rydwhite
Car: 2003 G35 Coupe

Welcome gzilla and minpin. You've come to the right place.

I also went out to get the 330, but drove away in the G coupe. The 330 is a nice car, but it just seemed to lack some styling and uniqeness. BMW's are freaking everywhere around here, and at the time I had never seen a g before, about a year ago. The G is an amazing car, nice power, great looks and the bang for the buck. I have had mine for a year now and I am still in love the car and have absolutley no regrets what-so-ever. I also test drove an M3 before I made my purchas. Well, the M3 is amazing, but it really isn't in the same class as the G, plus it costs 20k more.

I highly recommend the G for all your driving needs. It truly is an amazing car.

minpin

I've got an appointment at Infiniti of Kirkland on Saturday to test drive the G. I'm really looking forward to it - I'm sure I'll be sold after driving it :)

rydwhite

minpin wrote:I've got an appointment at Infiniti of Kirkland on Saturday to test drive the G. I'm really looking forward to it - I'm sure I'll be sold after driving it :)

I'm sure you will be too. One of the biggest selling points has to be the price when compared to the BMW's. Plus, it stands out more than the BMW. Enjoy your test and let us know what you thought.

gzilla

minpin, talk to Tony Talton he is the internet sales manager, good guy, did me right. I will be there too at about 10 am to have my oil changed. maybe I'll see you there.

minpin

I tried setting the appointment up for 1:00 - I haven't gotten a response yet. I am talking to Tony though. Sounds like they absolutely don't deal below MSRP. I guess being the only Infiniti dealer in the entire Puget Sound area has it's advantages.

If I end up getting one we'll have to hook up...

PalmerWMD

Minpin: If you are price sensitive try one of the guys I linked here.Some routinely ship reasonably across country.

http://www.nissaninfiniticlub....52769

Fred..:)

minpin

I had seen that thread and checked out Grubbs. I'm a little disappointed in the Infiniti web sites I've browsed. Their inventory doesn't give enough info on the individual cars - and the pricing looks like it's pretty much MSRP.

I tried using the info request form but after filling it out and submitting there was an error. Bad bad!

PalmerWMD

Minpin:

the only way to do these things is, to call.

Even the most modern dealers often dont update their inventory on thier website in a timely fashion and some just post a selection.

At least one of those 3 dealers always has about 3-4 times as many vehicles in stock, as shown on their website

Call and ask for the sales Manager or the Internet Sales Manager.Actually with Grubbs just call and ask for Mr Danny Meyer, he is a NICO member and is the General Manager (!).

Many Scottsdale employees are also members here and at least one ( Joe), is pretty active.Pinnacle is also a pretty good place from what I hear.I <know>, you can get what you want, from one of these guys.

Fred..:)

minpin

Yep, you are right. In fact, I'm willing to bet they make it intentionally difficult to use.

I hate dealing with salesmen - I try getting as much business done through email as I can.

The auto industry has yet to adjust to the "Internet World". I know exactly what I want, I know which options I want, I know the invoice price, and the MSRP. There's almost nothing to talk about... yet these salesmen still feel the need to treat me like a moron.

The guy at the BMW dealership is like "so, you're a single guy. You want a car that's going to make you feel good." Jeeeeezus.

Tweaky_Tom
Car: Beer, Boobs, Cars.

G coupe baby. ALL the way. Try to see if you can find a partially used one from someone. Salesmen are for sure retaids. Some are talkers some are sellers. If they keep on talking about s*** you don't want to hear, go to the next nearest salesmen and say, "Hey, would YOU like to sell me this car? Cuz im not here to talk, im here to buy." Take control. I know this because my brother is in the car business. Make the guy your BIOTCH!

Also, my opinion is completely objective: ;)

PalmerWMD

Ok folks,:nono

Be a bit nicer to the guys in the industry please, yes bad apples exist and we are all human beings, but remember we have members from all walks of life and I respect all employees of our associated dealers and am not willing to generalize in the negative about any 1 profession.

Fred..:peace

Tweaky_Tom
Car: Beer, Boobs, Cars.

my bad...........(hugs Palmer and pats him on back).............my bad................

rydwhite

Yeah, its not all dealers. The dealer I had when I bought my car was great, but I did just say, "Oh, I want that car, and I want it now" I knew there was no sense in haggling over the price becuase it was the only one they had and I knew that they wouldn't budge a cent. But, maybe I was just easy.

x-man

Have you spent some time on edmunds yet?

G35 Styles / Models

Reviews & Specs - G35 Coupe

Competing Vehicles

You might find kbb.com useful too...

minpin

One more quick question for you guys...

I was thinking of maybe going with the automatic instead of manual. I love driving with a clutch but it can sometimes be a nightmare in Seattle traffic. With auto you also get the steptronic transmission. Kind of the best of both worlds. Anybody have thoughts on this?

In particular, anyone who loves (or loved) driving a manual but went with the auto and likes it just as much?

rydwhite

I got the auto, but I kind of wish I would have got the 6mt. The auto is really nice and the tiptronic is really good, but it just isn't the same. I must say that it is nice in traffic not having to shift. I would suggest you take a test drive in both and see what you really like and go with it. I don't really think that there is wrong choice here, they are both great.

gzilla

Auto or man. coupe or sedan this car rips!! you just have to ask your self, can I stand to drive a clutch on the 5, 90, or 405 75% of the time in crappy traffic.

minpin

My current car is manual. For the first seven months in the area I commuted from Tacoma to Redmond... an hour both ways. 5, 405, 520... all the goodies. It sucked.

Now I'm living five minutes from work and the manual tranny wouldn't bother me nearly as much - and I love driving them.

Damn, tough choice. The Infiniti dealer doesn't have a single manual in stock, so no way to test drive one for a while (unless one of you Seattlites wants to take me for a drive:) )

gzilla

Infiniti of Tacoma should open within the next 2 weeks to a month, it located on I-5 in Fife next to Camping World. I understand that when the new store opens, they wll have a full inventory!!

minpin

Well I'm back fresh from test driving the G35. Wow.

First I drove the Auto with steptronic shifting. It was, well, different. I'm sure I'd get used to it after a while. I couldn't help but feel that this was a serious sports car and needed a manual transmission.

They had just rolled a manual off the truck and it was ready to go. Tony let me take it out by myself because he had a client waiting to sign some paperwork.

To make a long story short, I paid a deposit on a model coming in :). What a car.

They are getting a shipment in April and I've got my name on a Black/Black 6MT with premium package.

March is going to be a long month :)

Thanks for all your help guys - I'm looking forward to participating more on the forum as an owner of what looks to be one of the most beautiful cars ever made...

PalmerWMD

minpin wrote:1)They are getting a shipment in April and I've got my name on a Black/Black 6MT with premium package.

2)March is going to be a long month :)

1) Yaaayy! :fruit:

2) We'll help you pass the time with G35 talk.:icesangel

Fred...:)

DAEDALUS
Car: 1990 Q45

LOL Yeah, that'll make it much easier to bear *not* having the car yet. Kind of like telling a starving person how good the pizza will taste once it gets there.

rydwhite

Congratulations. It is a great car, you deffinetly made a wise purchase.

Return to “G35 and G37 General Discussions”