Converting 2x4 to 4x4 on '82 King Cab (need advice)

1980-1986 Datsun 720 forums. All 720-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
regularjj55

In short, I need to know how hard it is to take all the 4x4 stuff off and put it on a 2x4.

The 82 i originally had is 4x4, but the tranny needs to come out, the head is gonna need to be done soon, and the cab leaks and is rusted pretty bad. So my options are either putting all the 4x4 stuff onto the new 2x4 i got (which is in excellent condition), or pull the engine/tranny/cab and extra little parts(basically everything) off the 2x4 and put it on the original datsun. Since the new truck is in such great condition, id really like to just move the 4x4 stuff over even if it takes a little extra work.

I've pulled the engine out on several occasions, and between me and my dad weve rebuilt this Datsun twice - but moving the transfer case, differential and raising it up and stuff is all unfamiliar territory for me.

Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated.

breadbox
Car: Red 89 240sx,Black 89 Koop, White 84 720 4x4KC

I'd imagine it would be easier to do the reverse. I think you might want to look at the middle of the drive train and see if the 4x4 has any brackets or mounts that the 2x4 doesn't. I haven't looked at a 2x4 ever so IDK from personally experience.

I know there are a couple differences of the back. The back springs are under on the 2x4 and over the axle on the 4x4.

Post a couple pictures

Go to photobucket and use the login//password ODPL720//napz24

Looking at the s***ty picture in the front of the manual, looks like the 4wd and 2wd differ quite a bit at least in terms of bracing. looks like the 2wd has a cross bar that might get in the way of a transfer case.

If you have both trucks, put them side by side and get out a note book and write stuff down. You could document the major differences and let us know.

regularjj55

Well I compared the two and the bracing is quite a bit different. The 4x4 rides 4 inches higher and it gets the height from longer bracing bars off the main frame and an additional crossbar under the bed. All of this is welded on there, so if I wanted to convert it not only would i have to take a ton of stuff off but id need access to a machine shop.

breadbox
Car: Red 89 240sx,Black 89 Koop, White 84 720 4x4KC

so what are you planning on doing?

regularjj55

Well I'm going to wait until the end of summer at least and just drive the 2x4 for now.

I guess first I'll take all the main stuff off I know I'm going to need - pull the engine/tranny and rear end, front brakes, rear bumper, some other things im forgetting atm.

This part I'm not sure how were going to do it yet - i talked to my mechanic a couple times but I wont know until I get there. First he said we should be able to lift the cabs off with like like 4 or 5 guys and maybe a hoist. He also said something about jacking/propping up the cab/bed somehow and pulling the frame out from under it, but that doesn't sound right to me.

After that it's just a matter of putting all that s*** back together which we've done a couple times before.

I'll post my progress on here when I finish or if I have any problems.

flinterman2000
Car: 2000 Nissan Wingroad, 85 Datsun 720 Pick Up.

Suspending the cab and moving the chassis isnt hard and is probably the easiest way to go. Me and my two brothers usually move mine.

Return to “Datsun 720”