Convertible top causing battery drain

Dedicated to the G37 Convertible. This forum is for convertible-only content that is NOT covered in the other G-Series forums.
Acguy
Car: 2009 Infiniti G37s convertible

I have a 2009 g37s convertible. I currently have about 65k on the car and it’s always garaged. I have owned the car for about 4 years and had lots of problems with dead batteries. I also replaced the battery. I have taken it to the dealer and they have performed a tsb and it worked for a few months. The conclusion I have come to is the top looses its position and doesn’t allow the car to go to sleep. The top needs to be reset or relearn it’s position. I have pulled the 30amp fuse for the top and the car is fine and doesn’t go dead.
You need a special program to do the relearn function on the top. I found one blog where several people posted the same issue but no solution was posted.
I am looking for advice on how to solve the issue

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Have you checked the FSM for the reset procedure?

You can get it here: infinitiservicemanual.com

Acguy
Car: 2009 Infiniti G37s convertible

I think consult 3 plus software( something similar) is needed. I am hoping to find another way. Ultimately I would like to figure out why these tops loose there position.

mdodd7
Car: ???

Best solution is to purchase a battery tender. These vehicles have plenty of electronics using juice to retain memory. That being said, there is a reset using just the open/close button. It will work most times, if certain codes set then consult is needed. The procedure is simple, start vehicle, make sure trunk is empty and separator in up position. Use the open/close button to open top. When the top stops moving let go of the button then press again. Repeat until all the way open. Then close using the same procedure. Once again, this will work unless certain codes have set. Good luck!!

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Short of using Consult to find out which switch is causing the issue, we have one Z customer who DIY'd it by putting an extra switch beside the drop switch to cut power to the Roof Controller (basically like pulling the fuse). Just means 2 switches instead of one when he wants to drop it. It seems to work fine for him.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Hmm, now that y'all have me thinking about it, you could easily rig an ignition-triggered relay to do the same thing and dispense with anything visible. The only real reason the Roof Controller is alive with the key out is so you can use the fob to open or close, so killing it automatically shouldn't hurt a thing.

Return to “G37 Convertible Forum”