convert standard points to electronic

A place to discuss the systems and methods of tuning Nissan engines.
Baggie
Car: 1989 Nissan 1600 LDV

Hi can anyone help with a schematic to convert a standard point distributor to an electronic type?
I have a 1989 Nissan 1600 LDV (Called a bakkie in South Africa!) in immaculate condition, My current distributor has standard points with one wire going from the distributor to the coil. and I have a distributor from a Nissan Skyline with two wires going somewhere (LOL). Both have vacuum advance, and both are for 4 cylinders. The electronic setup has 4 fins on the rotor shaft and 4 fingers on the plate bolted to the distributor body. These are gapped at about 16thou. This setup seems able to fit perfectly into my current distributor.
What I need to know is :-
1. Where do the two wires go to?
2. Do I need to change my coil?
3. Will I also need a "module" or ECU for the system to work?
I appreciate any help or advice

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Welcome to NICO!

I wonder if something from these guys would work:

http://www.pertronix.com/prod/

I have a chevy small block in my boat, and I used one of these and it's great not to ever have to adjust points or anything like that. I have also done it on a big block Chrysler and it worked great as well. Probably the best bang for the buck to eliminate that points and condenser.

Worked fine with the stock coil and distributor cap and whatnot. Not sure what kind of distributor those older nissans have, but I bet you could find something that works, after all they all work on the same principle.

Baggie
Car: 1989 Nissan 1600 LDV

Hi Elwesso - thanks for the link. We have a similar setup available in South Africa, but costs about ZAR900 (about US$ 100). I was rather hoping I could use my current setup to save some cash (LOL)
I have looked for electrical schematics for the Skyline (about a 1992-95) model, but cannot seem to locate one, and Manuals are difficult to find in RSA.

Return to “Engine Tuning”