Controlling Interior Lights, Regardless of PCB

A forum for the Nissan Quest... minivan lovers unite!
RapMastaC1
Car: 2004 Nissan Quest
127,000 Miles

Hello all! I have a 2004 Quest with the lights not coming on issue. I know it's down to the board located just forward of the steering wheel. I have taken my dash apart and have seen the burned marks on the chip. I severed the connection to the lights and put in a manual switch to turn them all on or all off (I have turned them all on individually to achieve this).

I'm tired of my lights not turning on when I open the door (it gets dark at like 4PM now!). Is there any fix I can do with some switches/sensors to make it so my lights turn on for a preset time when I open the door? I'm fairly acquainted when it comes to electrical and I have the equipment to modify anything needed. Note: I want this to happen when any of the doors open, including the rear hatch.

What I would like to have in the end is a sensor in the door, either using the existing one or a new one, and a switch control in the dash. So when I open the door, the signal sets of a circuit to turn the lights on for 30 seconds, after which they will turn off. However if I need to, I can turn the switch on to turn on all the lights regardless of the door switch.

What would I need to do to achieve this. I have looked at the PDF manual and I cannot find the switch necessary to activate the lights. I also need to see if I can get something to control the timing, obviously the burned chip is what controlled it previously. c :crazy: :facepalm: :confused:

Would I be able to resolder the burned connections making essentially a bridge over the bad connections? Could a put a fuse across this bridge making any future blows fixable at a moments notice?

Armandpg

I know this was 6 years ago. but did you ever figure out this problem.

RapMastaC1
127,000 Miles

I never did, had that switch until I sold it later on. I was looking into a door switch but wasn't sure how to mount the switch in the door jamb (think something like what controls the lights in your fridge), but it would have broken no matter where I installed it.

Getting that board out is really hard, it's also very expensive. Wire a switch unless you plan on having the van for a long time, then I would just replace the pcb.

Armandpg

Thanks for the response. I feel that Nissan just makes it complicated with the switches and fuses that connects to the interior lights.

Return to “Quest Forum”