Continuous play from a USB flash drive - what's the secret?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
bbbaldie
Car: 2019 Nissan Rogue

Just bought a fairly loaded SV AWD with Nissan Connect. In my 2015, I would plug in a USB flash drive and it would begin playing the first album's first song and proceed through the whole drive. The 2019 starts out with shuffled songs, even though I haven't hit the shuffle button. What I want is for the first album to play, then the next.

Selecting the first album plays it, then it stops.

Any clues out there as to how to restore the functionality I had on my 2015?

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

2019 Nissan Connect Owners Manual
Page 84, Section 3-34.

bbbaldie

Thanks for the response.

"Repeat all" simply repeats the songs in the current folder. I have a folder for each album. Perhaps I need to drop them all into one large folder? Seems pretty silly, though, when a four-year-old system plays them like one would expect, and a brand new one appears to be baffled by the concept.

And again, if I could choose to play all folders, that would give the desired effect. But it forces me to choose ONE folder.

Frustrating so far.

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

Car manufacturers are under no obligation to keep audio functionality the same over subsequent model years. The company that made the unit for your old vehicle may not be the same one that made you current one, which is why they don't function the same way.

1. Disconnect the power for at least one half hour. That should reset everything to factory default. May not work, but it's worth a shot.

2. It's a 2019 and still under warranty. Contact your local dealership to see if there's a problem with the unit. IIRC the USB port on my 2011 was defective, so they had to replace the entire unit under warranty.

bbbaldie

I suspect I may know what's going on. I run Linux on my computer, and it copies files differently than Windows does. Some rather dumb mp3 players get confused by this, and play the songs in a seemingly random order. I'm copying several albums to a flash via Windows to see if it will just start up and run as expected, with song 1 from the first album. Stay tuned.

bbbaldie

OK, update: It plays random on a Windows-loaded flash drive as well. From where I sit, the newest Connect is incapable of queuing up albums and playing them in order. That's crap. Someone prove me wrong.

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

Just curious, did you try copying the files from your computer to a different flash drive? Once you have a fresh copy of media stored on the USB, unhide all folders/files to make sure there are no hidden folders/files on the drive, as the problem may be that your media player is creating a temp file that's storing the listings in the wrong order.

Also, verify that your head unit's firmware is up to date.
I play music on my car stereo almost exclusively from a USB drive. One of the things I've noticed if I drag an album folder to copy to the USB drive -the songs look to be in order on USB album folder (I prefix the track # before the title), but they won't necessarily play in order in the car. I believe it's the order they are copied onto the USB that takes precedence (i.e. time stamp on file).
How to Organize Music in the Order You Want on Your Flash Drive
Step 5
Insert a number before the name of the file. This number represents the order in which you want the file to be listed on the flash drive. For example, if the song is "MySong.mp3," rename the file "01- MySong.mp3." Repeat this process and insert numbers in front of each song.

bbbaldie

Thanks, but again, this is functionality that was perfect on my 2015 equipped with Connect, and which is now gone on the 2019. Copying/pasting folders organized as albums, operating system not mattering. I've been a Nissan/Datsun fan since my 20's, but this drop in functionality makes me shake my head in frustration.

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

bbbaldie wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:24 am
Thanks, but again, this is functionality that was perfect on my 2015 equipped with Connect, and which is now gone on the 2019. Copying/pasting folders organized as albums, operating system not mattering. I've been a Nissan/Datsun fan since my 20's, but this drop in functionality makes me shake my head in frustration.
And again car manufacturers outsource parts like radios to different manufacturers with NO guarantee that they will function exactly the same year after year. Did you google this problem? You'll find it's not exclusive to your vehicle if you check.

Unless you purchased the vehicle as Salvaged / Sold As Is, it still has a warranty, and it will cost you nothing but your time to contact your local Nissan dealership and ask them to sort it out. As I said previously, the unit may be defective, or simply in need an update.

Karona
Car: '99 Infiniti QX4 (R.I.P)
'08 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

Is it playing the songs in aphabetical order? If you can determine that it is, then you can title them by number, for example adding a "1-" before the title for a certain album, then "2-" for the second, etc.

Videoman123
Car: 2019 Nissan Rogue SV

I agree with you completely, it’s really stupid that a “Bose” system won’t play an entire USB stick on its own. The cheapest audio systems can do that, what’s wrong with this picture Nissan? Changing gears a little, what is that center grille with the Bose logo for? I don’t hear anything coming out of it. So much for the 9 speakers I was told it had.

bbbaldie

My issue was with a 32 GB flash drive. When I dropped to a 16 Gb drive, all worked well. No clue what's under that big center speaker cover. I'll have to look.

Videoman123

Do you have separate folders for each album and how is the usb stick formatted? FAT, FAT32 or NTFS.
I do believe mine is 16GB and it played perfectly fine from start to finish in my old Hyundai Sonata.

bbbaldie

FAT32, nested folders, artist/album.

The 32 GB drive plays fine in my aftermarket player in my other vehicle.

Videoman123

Anything on the silent “Bose” grille?

bbbaldie

No, I'm busy right now. But I will investigate and report back. Seems like a good place for tweeters, bouncing highs off the glass.

Videoman123

So yesterday, I spent some time trying different things and the solution is so easy that I feel foolish.
My USB stick is 16GB and formatted in FAT32, there are separate folders for each album. Look at your info system’s touch screen, there are five buttons, Repeat, Previous track/Rew, Pause/Play, Next track/F Fwd and Random play. Choose USB Menu to pick Artist, Album, etc, etc., be sure All is selected in the repeat function and all music will play in whatever criteria you selected, it works!!

Return to “Rogue Forum”