consumer reports auto issue

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
mazz
Car: 2013 M37x Advance, Tech Touring and Premium, Black with Stone Interior

i realize its a q70 m37 forum but not many new q70 produced so i was was reading consumer reports regarding recommended sedans.
in the $45 to 55g section Audi a4 had slightly higher score than q50 [87 to 85] but owner satisfaction for the 2nd ranked q50 was two thumbs down and reliability for q50 was 2 thumbs up .
on the bottom was Alfa Romeo Giulia score 43 with 2 thumbs down for reliability and 2 thumbs up for satisfaction. how in the hell does a car get 2 thumbs up for satisfaction when getting 2 thumbs down for reliability ? and of course visa versa. I been to a few Infiniti dealers in Chicago and Madison i was always treated nicely how does a car with bad reliability have greater owner satisfaction than Infiniti , what are they doing wrong? Q50 acceleration and braking # are better than Giulia so it not just a performance issue,
Maybe this is the million dollar question why Lexus is more popular after both brands starting off equally.
what are your thoughts on this.
Mazz

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

mazz wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:31 am
how in the hell does a car get 2 thumbs up for satisfaction when getting 2 thumbs down for reliability ?
One of my old bosses had a Jag XJ12, his favorite saying was, "It will pass anything but a repair shop." I'm sure he would've given it five stars for satisfaction and zero for reliability.

trayday
Car: 2006 M45 sport

I had a B5S4, Audi. Biggest love hate relationship with a car. They're notorious for maintenance but the fun factor and ease building power keeps us in love. Two thumbs down for reliability but 2 up for passion.

pedsemdoc
Car: 2013 M37 Sport - SOLD, Premium/Tech/Sport Journey
Carbon fiber engine cover
GT Spec front tower strut bar
R2C Intakes
Oil catch cans
Custom Start button LEDs

Good friend had a 2012 Mercedes S63 AMG - it was a beast, only drove it once. But it literally was in the shop way more than it was ever driven on the road.
He luckily had a fantastic aftermarket warranty because he easily spent the price of the car on repairs over the 5 yrs he owned it. Once the warranty was up he sold it.
I knew I might be walking into the same situation as my new to me 2014 Audi RS7, but I've been lucky so far in my over 2 yrs (20,000 miles) of ownership - only routine maintenance (I did buy an extended aftermarket warranty though)

If reliability is more important to you than say the driving experience, acceleration, easy of modifying, etc. you won't be satisfied with the German and Italian offerings, but that's not why folks who are buying an Audi R8 or Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio are buying those cars for.
IMHO I think the vast majority of Lexus owners (except for the LFA, RC F, and LC and they aren't selling the most of these models) aren't looking for the ultimate driving experience but incredible reliability with a pretty good driving experience vs someone easily blowing over $100,000 for a BMW M5 Competition who definitely wants that.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

pedsemdoc wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:10 pm
If reliability is more important to you than say the driving experience, acceleration, easy of modifying, etc. you won't be satisfied with the German and Italian offerings, but that's not why folks who are buying an Audi R8 or Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio are buying those cars
Speed and reliability aren't necessarily in diametric opposition, but extreme speed and extreme reliability are. Cast iron is weight. When you talk about the ends of the rainbow, everything is an engineering compromise of some sort.

pedsemdoc
Car: 2013 M37 Sport - SOLD, Premium/Tech/Sport Journey
Carbon fiber engine cover
GT Spec front tower strut bar
R2C Intakes
Oil catch cans
Custom Start button LEDs

VStar650CL wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:32 pm
pedsemdoc wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:10 pm
If reliability is more important to you than say the driving experience, acceleration, easy of modifying, etc. you won't be satisfied with the German and Italian offerings, but that's not why folks who are buying an Audi R8 or Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio are buying those cars
Speed and reliability aren't necessarily in diametric opposition, but extreme speed and extreme reliability are. Cast iron is weight. When you talk about the ends of the rainbow, everything is an engineering compromise of some sort.
True that - prolly why they tear down and rebuild the engine on drag racers for every run

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”