constant smoke m30

Got questions about your Infiniti? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
sidescrollin
Car: 1992 M30 Convertible 3.0 *sold
1988 jaguar XJS 5.3
1997 pathfinder 3.3 *blown engine

I have a bonestock 92 m30 vert that has been sitting for a few years.

Want to get it on the road but if you don't pass emissions you have to show a receipt saying you spent money repairing the car. So i want to make sure it'll pass.

It billows white/blue smoke that kinda smells like gas out the back. After a while it'll die down at idle but anything higher than idle and it will continuously flow out the exhaust.

I dumped the gas, it was golden and smelled awful. Thought this was it. Still runs the same, little smoother though of course. It appears to run fine, I can take it down the road and it'll pickup just fine but it still smokes like crazy.
Put some stuff in it to hopefully help the Stem seals today which did nothing as well as the gas doing nothing.

I don't know what other info I need to/can provide, Ask away!! I want this problem gone and im sick of d!ck around with it.

SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

First off Welcome to the group :dthumb

How many years is a "few"

It sounds like it time for a shopping spree...to start you've got to get plugs, filters (air, fuel, oil, probably a few and a couple cases of oil) injector cleaner is a must. It is going to take allot of work to get the car up to shape enough to pass state dyno tests. That is to say the car was in perfect working order when it was left to sit.

I wouldn't be surprised if one of more of your injectors was stuck open or closed causing most of your smoke.

sidescrollin
1988 jaguar XJS 5.3

hmmm I believe anywhere from 4-6 in a garage.
It has new filters and oil, and tbh i think most of the "fuel" that was in it was actually additive, lots of additive. So I don't think I need injector cleaner.

Like I said it runs smooth and picks up really well in the 60 ft or so I floor it (not going out anywhere just on my street with no tag ;) )

If it were a problem injector wouldn't it also run kinda crappy from it? Reason I am asking it because like I said it seems to run fine, its just smokin like mad.

I can get a pic up of the smoke 2morrow to give everyone a better idea. Vids aren't working on my camera right now for some reason.

SteveTheTech
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-

It could have a coolant leak into the combustion chamber... that would cause white smoke

The main reason I would suspect the injector is the fact that it sat so long and fuel varnishes over time. Being a tiny solenoid the injectors are the weak point in the system.

Burning crap additives would/could also cause white smoke. All kinds of things can cause that. It might do that for a few hundred miles even with nothing wrong. This is not going to be something that can adequetly be diagnosed online.

I cannot find a service manual online for the M30, maybe a chilton would work.

If it were my car I would park it outside with a stick on the accelerator for half an hour at 2500 no more no less, why 2500...it's not really high enough to damage anything... but it is high enough to get it warm enough to blow the bats out of the cave.

Hopefully its something simple, but if without a history of where the car was before it was parked it's all going to be shot in the dark until you start testing things.

sidescrollin
1988 jaguar XJS 5.3

well I know what you mean and I've been there done that. I have sat in the car multiple times at 3k and today it idled for a total of probably 6 or 7 hours.

Its running smoother with regular gas in it now but the smoke hasn't died down any.

I don't think it is coolant because it is constant and has a smell to it (car is full of water) and that smell changed when I drained the fuel out and replaced it.

I'm hoping someone will stumble along my thread who has experienced the same or similar thing before.

I may check out the injectors 2morrow and do a little more searching to see if i can find others with a similar problem. I am actually Lucky it has been sitting that long rather than a shorter period. If it had only been 1-3 years the 10% ethanol would have gelled up in everything and the entire fuel system would be messed up.

Annoying me because the car runs like a champ and I wanna drive it but theres no way its passing emissions like this :(

sidescrollin
1988 jaguar XJS 5.3

btw by that do you mean a head gasket leak

sidescrollin
1988 jaguar XJS 5.3

wanted to add that the temp isn't high, it runs cool

SteveTheTech
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-

sidescrollin wrote:
-I have sat in the car multiple times at 3k and today it idled for a total of probably 6 or 7 hours.

-(car is full of water)

-I'm hoping someone will stumble along my thread who has experienced the same or similar thing before.
-Idling the engine is not going to raise the operating temperature of the catalyst enough to actually get make it work.

-The car was full of water?

-I have extensive experience with this type of dinosaur and have restored several, including my current daily driver. How bout you?
What are you looking for someone to tell you?
Your going to need to run a fair amount of premium through this car before anything else.
Have you done this before?
Do you have an automotive background?

sidescrollin
1988 jaguar XJS 5.3

Was giving more info on the car as in it doesn't have any anti-freeze or coolant additives.

the other day it idled for like 7-8 hours in the 90 degree sun and I've ran it for 30 minutes to 1 hour on half a dozen or so occasions. Maybe you are right but when I got home I seriously couldn't get into the car, I am surprised some of the trim pieces weren't soft. I understand the engine isn't under any stress but sitting outside for that long as hot as it was with no air moving across the radiator aside from the fan got the car unbearably hot.

I think you are mistaking me telling you I have already tried something or ruled it out as telling you that you are wrong or something. Its been up to temp like you suggested, I've gotten all the nasty additives out of the fuel system, and I don't think theres anything wrong with the injectors because it seems to run so well, though I asked if maybe it'll still do that even if one of the injectors is dumping fuel or something.
I've ran about 3/4 of a tank of premium through it though some of that was additive. At first I thought it was just build up but this has been going on for a few months now.

Last car I had with a blown head gasket was really obvious so I don't know what else to look for ,( mine just blew out onto the intake and was leaking on it, do they sometimes blow on the inside?) plus I am not losing coolant so I don't think its that. The stick kind of sucks on this car but the oil level doesn't seem to have gone down at all. Its blue white like oil but it changed when I changed the gas and flushed the radiator. It still had a bit of anti-freeze in it I found and now there are most spots of white in all the smoke.
Smell changed when I changed the gas and when I changed the oil.

Btw I've changed injectors before but its been a maintenance thing, just threw the others out. Can you visually inspect them or how else can you determine they are bad? I am just questioning that possibility because it seems to run alright. Can it still do that with one (or more) of the injectors being crappy?
thanks
Last edited by sidescrollin on Sat May 08, 2010 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sidescrollin
1988 jaguar XJS 5.3

hey SteveTheTech can you give this a listen and tell me if you'd think the same sounds and injector could result in the car smoking too (even tho this z32 isnt)

http://s598.photobucket.com/albums/tt65 ... =001-1.flv

sidescrollin
1988 jaguar XJS 5.3

got the fuel rails off today and they are corroded and nasty, hopefully this is the only problem and the bad connection is just causing it to spray to much fuel?

Return to “Infiniti Online Mechanic”