Constant IGN light

1962-1965 Datsun L320 and NL320 forums - The truck that started it all in the US. All 320-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
troliver

Hello all. The IGN light in the dash cluster on my '65 320 has recently come on and doesn't extinguish. I've scoured the service manuals and can't find any troubleshooting information for the IGN light. What exactly does it indicate and how should I go about starting to troubleshoot why it's on? Any advice is appreciated.

Gemmer
Car: 1964 Datsun PU 320

It’s an indication that your battery is not being charged. Others will suggest how to trace the problem.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

My understanding is that the 320's all had generators (not alternators) and some of the early ones were positive ground. The net seems to indicate almost everyone converts them to negative ground, and converting them to either a 411 or 720 alternator is popular. So what could be wrong with yours depends on specifics, whether it's box-stock and if not, what alterations were done. Presuming your battery connections are all good, if it's a generator you can do a quick charging test with a simple bulb-type test lamp. With the truck running, connect it between the generator output terminal and the battery (plus terminal if you're negative-ground, minus if you're positive ground). The lamp shouldn't light. If it does, the generator is sucking juice instead of producing it.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

This is a pretty good treatise on checking generator systems:

www.howacarworks.com/electrical-systems ... ing-output

Return to “Datsun 320”