Constant high pitch ringing sound when turned off

Forum for the unique Murano, and official home of Nissan Murano Club!
llauzon
Car: Nissan Murano 2009

My Nissan Murano 2009 makes a high pitch ringing constant (non stop) sound when it's turned off.

It seems to come from the back of the vehicle. Does anybody know what this is?

Docaftershok
Car: 1998 Q45/Cima

Do you have a stock system or modified? If modified then there is a possible ground issue with an amp

llauzon
Car: Nissan Murano 2009

If you are talking about the sound system, it is stock.

luckysplash
Car: 2009 Nissan Murano

Did you find out what this noise was? My Murano is doing the same thing.

kegman
Car: 2014 murano sv

Possibly the fuel pump doing its fuel evaporation leak check. this check usually happens several hours after the car has been turned off and it is normal .When does the sound start?

ScottJ2
Car: 2009 Nissan Murano

Were you able to find out what this was? My wife's car is doing it, also. It will only do it when it is cold out and the sound gets louder the colder it is (Cleve, OH). By the time she gets to the dealer it stops. We have a video and it goes to the dealer on Monday, 2/9/15.

Wirelessman347
Car: 2009 Nissan Murano LE

Any update?

We too have the same issue. It started about 3 months ago and the "ringing/beeping" would start after driving in the rain. I am assuming it is some corrosion that was impacting the beeper for the Power Lift-gate. Today the rear Back-up camera went out. At first the backup "guide" lines went, then the screen started flashing and finally nothing. All in about 15 minutes. :cry:

I still think this is a corrosion issue as roads here on Long Island the the rest of the NE are heavily salted in the winter. This year is no exception! :crazy:

I found a video on how to disable the Beeping, but the camera has me concerned. :frown:

I am hesitant to take it into the dealer as repairs on the LE are $$$$. We've had some weird issues with the Murano & I'd say overall I'd never buy one again.

Replaced Steering Wheel motors (2x!) First the Vertical, then the Horizontal motors.
Power Lift-gate Motor
1 TPMS
1 Front Driver Wheel Bearing
Had to replace 4 nearly new tires due to a 5-cent screw in 1 tire too close to the sidewall.

Jfoz62
Car: 2009 Murrano LE

Has anyone that previously encountered this problem had any luck finding a solution ?

JohnD
Car: EX35, Murano

Whatever it is, it is normal. I have had it on two Muranos. I think Kegman is probably right about the cause.

Leo2005

I had it on my 2014 Rogue and now I have that on my '15 Murano. This is normal. Techs from dealership told me it's ABS checkup system (which is hard to believe) or could be a different item that checks itself.

shiksamomma
Car: 2015 Nissan Murano

Does anyone have an update on this? I have a 2015 Murano and it's doing the same thing now. It's been going on 6 hours now - it was very rainy/windy yesterday, there's nothing obstructing the liftgate from opening/closing and i wiped down the latch area because I did notice some rust. I looked in the spare tire cavity and there's no loose wires or connections. I'm going to the dealership tomorrow but if I can tell them what to look for instead of them trying to figure it out for hours, that would be great. thanks!

shiksamomma
Car: 2015 Nissan Murano

Jfoz62 wrote:Has anyone that previously encountered this problem had any luck finding a solution ?
I just took my car in about this and it was a rear hatch sensor issue. They had to replace the part that detects that the rear door is closed because it wasn't functioning and therefore constantly making the sound that it was ajar. Part was ordered on a Friday and in on Monday so it was a quick fix and covered by warranty.

JohnD
Car: EX35, Murano

Same with me with my 2015 SL. In my case it was intermittent and I could never get it to make the sound when at the dealer. Then I realized it only made the sound when the car was wet. So I had the dealer wash the car and the sound started immediately. The dealer traced it to part of the lift gate warning system which is under the back bumper and exposed to the elements. They are replacing the part tomorrow, but apparently have to remove the bumper to do so. Fortunately it is still under warranty

LINAK US, INC.
Car: Nissan Murano 2015

Hi, I have a 2015 Nissan Murano with 40K miles and it is now doing this high pitched ringing from the rear of the car. It is cold outside, about 9 degrees F. Is this proven to be normal?

Yettababy
Car: 2007 Nissan murano
2009 Nissan Armada

I'm currently having this problem on 2007 murano but the sound is not coming from the rear and the car won't start. Any suggestions?

muranonissano
Car: 2015 Murano Platinum AWD

I get this issue almost every time I give the rear of my 2015 Murano a good washing at the car wash.
The high pitched sound comes from the sensor/device located in the middle behind the back bumper. You can see it from underneath the car. I looks like it is a bit hard to get at.

I suspect this is cause by water getting into or onto a wiring connection or harness inside the back hatch or at the sensor under the back bumper.
The sound seems to stop after whatever got wet dries out. This can take a few hours to a few days depending on the weather.

I haven't taken the interior panel off of the inside of the back hatch to see what's going on in there. I also haven't found any diagrams showing what's inside the back hatch.

If anyone has deciphered what the actual issue is it would be great to know.

rlf

It is definitely the rear hatch sensor. I took my 2016 Nissan Murano Platinum in to the dealer today. The dealer said that the sensor was corroded by water. Although it was 3,000 miles out of warranty, Nissan agreed to cover the $600 one-time replacement. (The dealer had to order the part. I asked if the sensor could simply be disconnected, but then the hatch would not close. The dealer is keeping the vehicle until the repair is complete.) The technician said that there must be some kind of leak that allows water to corrode the sensor. However, Nissan said that they would not cover the leak, nor would they warranty the new sensor, if I did not have the leak repaired.

DTASFAB

Does this problem happen exclusively with vehicles that have a power lift gate?

dscerpella
Car: 2006 Nissan Murano SL FWD

I have this problem as well and it has been worsening. The fact it only occurs after a car wash or rain makes me believe that water is somehow getting into something electrical and the front dash seems to be the place as my sound comes from the front dash. Today I didnt drive but there was a persistent rain all day. When I got out to my 06 Murano, the screen was on and the key light was also on and the tone was so loud it could be heard from 10 ft away from the car. Not only that the key would not turn. I have temporarily remedied it by disconnecting the battery and hopefully tomorrow it will be dry.

It first started in the winter and what I was hearing was barely noticeable, like the finishing sound on an old tube tv when you turn it off. When I started to think about that, I realized that more than a couple times this past winter snow melted and refroze in the pan where the wipers come out of and it would take energetic hits with my ice scraper to clear out that area. So my thought was obviously Ive somehow poked a hole in that part, but what I did was actually moved that piece of molding out of position so water could run right off the windshield into the area underneath. (see picture)

So I repositioned it and thought my problem had been solved. The problem has only gotten worse. My other thought was that somehow my sunroof drains might be partially clogged and the water could be diverting somewhere else. (Many times the floor in my passenger side footwell and back seat was unexpectedly very wet.

So I am this close to taking it to the dealer where I hope tis can be remedied.

Anyone else have any updates on this problem?

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Dans241 ... k.jpg.html

dscerpella
Car: 2006 Nissan Murano SL FWD

Had a big rainstorm this week and when I came out to my 06 Murano, the key (which I use because the Intellikey stopped working a year ago) would not rotate and the car could not be started. Had to have it towed to my auto shop.

What he reported makes eminent sense. It all stems from a leaking sunroof drain. This has been happening for a long time as I would often find my carpet in the passenger footwell wet. What happened is the water has actually now destroyed the intelli key module and it has to be replaced. This is why the sound that started a few weeks back was so reminiscent of a key warning. So if youre still getting the high pitched whine, its advisable you get your sunroof drains straightened out right away, because the leak may ultimately destroy your intelli key module as mine was.

ricmiranda

muranonissano wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:21 pm
I get this issue almost every time I give the rear of my 2015 Murano a good washing at the car wash.
The high pitched sound comes from the sensor/device located in the middle behind the back bumper. You can see it from underneath the car. I looks like it is a bit hard to get at.

I suspect this is cause by water getting into or onto a wiring connection or harness inside the back hatch or at the sensor under the back bumper.
The sound seems to stop after whatever got wet dries out. This can take a few hours to a few days depending on the weather.

I haven't taken the interior panel off of the inside of the back hatch to see what's going on in there. I also haven't found any diagrams showing what's inside the back hatch.

If anyone has deciphered what the actual issue is it would be great to know.
Hi, How did this get resolved. If you let it dry out for days, did it kill your battery? Thanks

bassonfire
Car: 2017 Murano Platinum

I have a 2017 Murano Platinum. This is an issue with the Rear Hatch Sonar. There is a bulletin with Nissan about this. It activates when it gets wet. The bulletin # is NTB 18-036. The kit replacement # is 10007-9UC0B.
It is covered under warranty if your car qualifies. Otherwise, it is about 700.00 for the repair.
I live in BC so they had difficulty finding these USA codes. They're different up here.
That noise was going on all weekend until the battery finally died. I called them today, Monday, and they were able to find the kit and order it.

Hope this helps!

paulday
Car: 2017.5 Nissan Murano Platinum

I just created two posts on this very issue. Instead of reposting the same exact same thing here, I'll supply the links.

First, the problem:

https://www.nissanmurano.org/threads/ba ... ost-749224

The home solution, post #7:

https://www.nissanmurano.org/threads/re ... ost-749230

Hope this points people in the right direction when they're having battery issues during wet weather.

Have a good day.

Return to “Murano Forum”