Considering FX vs Murano, any feedback appreciated!

Forum for the unique Murano, and official home of Nissan Murano Club!
jcm

I've decided to purchase either a Murano or FX35, but I'm really on the fence. The extra money for the FX would be okay and at 6'4" the extra adjustment features on the seat/steering column are a welcome addition (it's hard for me to get comfy in most vehicles ;-) But, the Murano is a notch cheaper and seems to have a lot to offer...

I've read through a lot of the comments and threads in this section of the forum and have learned a lot from others' experiences. I'd be grateful for any additional words of wisdom from current owners of either model. I'm particularly interested in any nagging problems like rattling noises (pet peeve), recurrent problems with electronic equipment, any unwelcomed "surprises" that have crept up since ownership (like the guy whose ignition locked up on him!), and how the vehicle has handled in bad weather (ice and snow, in particular).

Thanks in advance for taking the time and energy to share your experiences! The feedback I get hear will likely help me make a final decision.

Bobiam

Well jcm, you posted almost exactly as I would. I’m 6’3” and long legged and few vehicles are acceptable to me from a comfort standpoint. The Murano has the adjustable petals, but that doesn’t help with the nagging of that radio pod (as I call it) that jams into the right side of my right leg/knee. The FX on the other hand has great leg room (relatively speaking) without adjustable petals (and the tilt/tele system is fantastic). In fact, I can not find another vehicle that is better, and would appreciate you letting me know if you have found other tall person compatible vehicles. I note that the FX uses a rod type gas petal lever. It’s practically the same as my 2001 Maxima. I created a precision machined small aluminum block for the Max gas petal that offsets the petal and gives me 7/8” extra stretch to the gas petal. Believe me, that makes a difference. I have reviewed the FX and feel that the same system will work with it. Although a lot of work went into the idea, it was a $40 mod, and I can switch it back to stock in 15 min. I want to buy the FX in the Spring. Keep this gas petal thing in mind and if it works you can enjoy it as well. I have photos etc available. Back to the Murano. It’s OK, but just lacks the real guts the FX35 has. The front end is a bit wimpy compared to FX, and it is primarily a FWD car, that cannot handle like a RWD. If both have an AWD capability, the RWD will be a better performer by far. Also, remember that the Murano is an Altima based vehicle while the FX is built on the G35 platform. Bob

Return to “Murano Forum”