Condensor Fan reverse polarity

A forum for the Nissan Armada, Infiniti QX56, and beginning in 2014, the Infiniti QX80
SUB ZERO CAR FANATIC
Car: 1993 Infiniti Q45 ( SOLD)
1997 Cadillac Deville Concourse
1998 Cadillac Seville STS
2009 Infiniti QX56 LE

I have found out the certain Nissan/Infiniti SUV models had the fan wired wrong from the factory. Does this apply to my 2009 QX56? If so can I use the key on /press the door jamb switch 10 times to put it in test mode so that it will check my condensor fan in the process to see if it works and is spinning in the push fresh air in position instead of pulling hot air from engine bay through the radiator method?
I assume this system is similar with most other AC systems and the condensor fan will not engage if low on freon, it cools but does not get cold, the high side line where freon is added is the one closest to driver side firewall i presume, it should be ice cold to the touch, not just slightly cool like mine is.
I will try getting a can of 134a today and charge the system a bit and see if it gets colder and the AC condensor fan will kick on hopefully.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Nothing on the high side of the system ever gets ice cold unless there's a restriction, and then it will only get icy at the restricted spot. The line between the receiver-drier and the evap is usually tepid-warm, slightly cooler at the evap end. The low side line will usually be quite cold coming out of the firewall and just-cold by the time it reaches the compressor. The ejection line between the compressor and condenser should be very hot, and the temperature should drop across the condenser to where it's just warm at the receiver-drier. If you're actually low on refrigerant, the most noticeable symptoms will be a cool-not-cold low-side line at the firewall and a not-so-hot ejection line from the compressor.

SUB ZERO CAR FANATIC
Car: 1993 Infiniti Q45 ( SOLD)
1997 Cadillac Deville Concourse
1998 Cadillac Seville STS
2009 Infiniti QX56 LE

The AC is cooling ok after a bit of freon but the condensor fan is still not coming on.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The IPDM self-test will only tell you if the ECM is causing the issue. The fan turns on by ECM request over the CANbus, but the self-test bypasses that. If it doesn't turn on, the condenser fan has its own fusible link (40A L or 25A N depending on your options) which feeds pin 22 on the IPDM. The fan relay output is pin 24. If you get constant juice on 22 and juice on 24 during the self-test but the fan doesn't run, the fan or fan wiring are bad. If you get no juice on 24 then the relay in the IPDM is bad. If you get juice but there's a big voltage drop between 22 and 24 then the fan is probably stalled, sucking power but not starting. You can find the terminal locations on the IPDM here on page PG-75:
https://www.nicoclub.com/service-manual ... 9%2FPG.pdf
If it is the relay, it's replaceable on your IPDM (see the same diagram).

Return to “Armada Forum / QX56 Forum / QX80 Forum”