Condensation drain for AC

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Rockhoundrob
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL

My daughter got a 2009 Rogue last summer.
I changed the cabin filter, and BOY did it have debris!

Over the first few months, I noticed there was no water dripping from under the Rogue, like I see on other cars when the AC is on.
Is there a condensation drain? Do they get plugged up?

If so, how is the best way to clear the drain?

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Yes, there is there a condensation drain.
https://www.nicoclub.com/service-manual ... H%22},820]

How to Unclog a Car's Air Conditioning Drain

1. Park your car on a flat surface with adequate lighting, and engage the emergency brake.
2. Cut about 1 foot of metal wire (clothes hanger) and form a hook at one of the ends.
3. Go underneath the engine and locate the AC drain tube, which is a small rubber hose.
4. Insert the wire, hook first, into the AC drain tube. Do not force the wire, but twist, push and pull the wire within the drain tube until you are able to remove the clog.

Allow water to drain from the tube after the clog has been removed. Reattach the drain tube to the engine. Move out from underneath the vehicle, then remove the jack stands and lower the vehicle back to the ground. Perform a test drive.

Rockhoundrob

Thank you! I plan to change the oil on my daughter's car any time. I'll check on that while I am at it.

Thanks again!

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Your drain hose will be on the righthand side of the center console and is easy to access inside the car by removing the frontmost trim panel on the console, beneath the glove box. No tools needed, the panel is held on by pawls. Snaking as Rogue suggested is the best way because it won't make a mess, but the hose makes an acute lefthand bend near the evaporator that a snake might not pass. If it's still clogged after snaking as far as the snake will go, you can access the nipple where the hose enters the evap. The hose isn't clamped, you can just pull it off. However, have a few quart plastic bottles handy. Once you clear the blockage, there may be as much as 1-1/2 quarts of trapped water inside and you don't want all of it on your carpet.

Rockhoundrob

OH!!! Glad you told me this.

So if I am under the car, where is this hose? I might try this first, but it almost looks like I am better off just taking the hose off that is near the glove box?

If there is no water dripping under the car like I see on most cars while driving with the AC on, is it more likely the hose is plugged up, or is the problem near the condenser?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

I've seen both. Often fine debris in the evap housing will build up around the inside neck of the nipple and cause the fitting to clog inside the housing. I've seen mud wasps build castles inside the hoses. The hose should be slightly to the right of the "hump" near or on the firewall when looking from underneath. The only advantage to doing it from underneath is avoiding a mess, there's almost always a significant amount of trapped water in the evap. If you're prepared to catch most of it or lay out some plastic on the floor, doing it from inside is fine.

Return to “Rogue Forum”