Comprehensive BC Coilover thread; all issues

A General Discussion forum for Altima owners, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to the NICOclub Altima Forums!
alphapig
Car: Nissan Altima Coupe 2.5S

This is for anyone who has BC coil overs, for 2.5 and 3.5 Altima coupes.

I'd like to keep a running list of members who have experienced any issues, including rattle and obnoxiously stiff/bumpy rear, even on maximum softness.

Please chime in with any comments and issues, I will keep the front page list updated.

I will not be scouring threads for people with issues; please post here.

This will greatly help Loop and his correspondence with BC development.

Altima coupe 2.5 rattle/unsatisfactory stiffness
1. AlphaPig - rear right rattle, rear very stiff compared to front
2. 2010alticoupe - rear rattle, rear very stiff compared to front

Altima coupe 3.5 rattle/unsatisfactory stiffness
1. IBCoupe - front noisy, retaining nut prone to loosen
2. downedzephyr - rear right creaking
3. dangeris - front left creaking
Last edited by alphapig on Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

2010alticoupe
Car: 2010 CrimsonBlack
coupe

Rear is stiff compared to front. Very bumpy. And noisy.
BC Racing told me to preload the rear. I will update with results

alphapig

Pre load the rear? I was under the impression that preloading was possible only on true coil overs, like in the front, since in the rear the spring and damper are separate.

Looking forward to update though.

By noisy, do you mean road noise? Or are you getting the rattle?

IBCoupe
Car: '08 Nissan Altima Coupe 3.5SE
'19 Infiniti QX50 FWD
'17 BMW 330e iPerformance

I get a lot of noise in the fronts. Occasionally, I'll get this horrible knocking noise, but tightening up the locking nut on top, underneath the damping knob, makes that go away. Gets ridiculously loose at times; almost enough that you can turn it with your fingers.

The other noises I get are in cold weather, I'm finding out in my first winter - turning the wheels makes the springs twang. Seems to go away after a bit of driving.

downedzephyr
Car: 09 Altima Coupe 3.5se

i have a little bit of creaking from my rear right coilover, but i haven't experienced any major problems yet.

2010alticoupe
Car: 2010 CrimsonBlack
coupe

alphapig wrote:Pre load the rear? I was under the impression that preloading was possible only on true coil overs, like in the front, since in the rear the spring and damper are separate.

Looking forward to update though.

By noisy, do you mean road noise? Or are you getting the rattle?
I was told to Jack up the rear and preload the spring 5 mm or the width of the spanner wrench
Yea I mean the rattle. Kinda sounds like popcorn popping lol

alphapig

2010alticoupe wrote: Yea I mean the rattle. Kinda sounds like popcorn popping lol
That's the one. Although I'm compiling all problems, the rattle is most relevant. Hopefully Loop can shed some light on that with the BC rear cartridges he's testing.

Please keep posting BC owners; lets do our part to provide R&D incentives!

IBCoupe
'19 Infiniti QX50 FWD

I had some rattling in the rear, but it's gone now. I took off the wheel and tightened everything around the base; it was the wheel knuckle thing. Just needed to be tightened. Don't know if that's going to help you guys. I'll take a picture at some point, if you guys want. Let me know.

alphapig

Sounds like a different issue; my rattle seems to come from the top of the sock tower, I've tightened everything several times over and the rattle is quite sporadic

IBCoupe
'19 Infiniti QX50 FWD

That's where it sounded like it was coming from my car, too, when I was in it. I think that's only where it sounded like it was coming from, because that was the most direct connection to the car, y'know? Not saying it's the same problem, but follow the sound "upstream," if you will, and see if you can't find a loose bolt somewhere else in the suspension that could be finding a vibration path to your C-pillar via the strut.

nogears909
Car: 2008 Niagra Grey Coupe 2.5S CVT

sure hope the new shock cartridges work out well, looking to buy BC Coils in the near future

Loop
Car: only nissan cars

I know there are more people out there with issues but have not posted. If you do a quick search you will know what I mean. It sucks that not many people view the suspension subforum.

EDIT: I know I have not posted my new thoughts on the new rear cartridges, but it will happen, please be patient. I am aiming for this weekend. But all I can say right now it is definitely noticeably better. They are 20% less valved than what it comes from the manufacturer.

Also for those with the default coilovers, try putting the dampening around 14-20 until you find your likings. This may help, I find that not all the dampening settings are valved correctly

fenderpicks
Car: 2010 NIssan Altima 2.5s

Dang coils have that much issues?

alphapig

Thanks for the bump, I guess

Lets please keep this thread tidy

Looks like I need to start hunting down people with issues; this sub-forum gets very little traffic

*Edit: unfortunately 90% of people don't have PM turned on. Why the hell is it off by default?

Oilsink
Car: 08 dark slate

the popcorn issue is due to the spring being loose in the cup (thing?). i had that problem when i first installed them but you just have to raise the height on the perches so that it doesn't have space to rattle around.

DReed86
Car: Altima Coupe 2008 SE 3.5 White CVT

But if you tighten the springs in cup thing arnt you raising the car up???

Loop

Touching the spring perch will change the height, rebound, and preload.

Could someone explain what popcorn noise is?

You should have no noise to begin with, make sure the install is correct and everything is tighten to the correct pounds.

DReed86
Car: Altima Coupe 2008 SE 3.5 White CVT

Loop wrote:Touching the spring perch will change the height, rebound, and preload.

Could someone explain what popcorn noise is?

You should have no noise to begin with, make sure the install is correct and everything is tighten to the correct pounds.
With mine it sounds like metal is being smacked together.... not very loud but just enough to be annoying. It has to do with metal on metal contact for me, or it could be that the spring is too loose and when I hit bump the compession/expansionof the spring is causing the noise........ To fix the metal, a half inch thick rubber washers would do the trick.

Im sure it has to do with the tightening, like IBCoupe said over time it gets loose again. I tightened mine the noise was reduced but it came back.

Loop

I don't recommend people using the term popcorn noise, it is to vague and many have people will have different perspectives what popcorn noise is. i.e. consistent or non consitent, loud or muffled pop. Metal on metal contact is different sound from a popcorn noise. Suspension can have many various types of noises if something is loose. It is best to be descriptive to find its solution.

First problem, sounds like you have not preloaded enough. Also for the top bolt, sounds like its not tighten to the correct pounds.

superbad
Car: 2014 alti 3.5SL

this might help with some of your rattling issues
courtesy of Joe at http://www.2j-racing.com

Step 1. With the small wrench loosen the nut under the adjustment knob. Be sure to lift up lightly on the knob and slide the wrench underneath. The nut loosens in the normal fashion (counter-clockwise). The knob and nut are removed as one piece. Do not try to separate.
Step 2. With the nut and adjustment knob removed, slide the 17mm socket over the nut on the shock and insert the 5mm allen key. Remove the nut and threadlock the threads. Reinstall and tighten. You will be able to tighten it by hand to sufficient tq.
Step 3. When you reinstall the nut/adjustment knob, use a small amount of threadlock on the threads of the OUTSIDE of the shock, and screw down the nut. You ONLY TQ THE ADJUSTMENT KNOB/NUT TO LIGHT PRESSURE. Maybe 3-5lbs. If that. Turn it till you feel light tension and stop. Too much pressure and the adjustment knob wont work correctly.

Bori83
Car: Coupe 3.5 MT

I have had issues with mine for a long time. I also contacted BC and they stated I needed to pre-load. I took it to my buddys shop and he said all was looking good.

I am getting a "clunking" noise when I turn my steering wheel left and right. I am also getting a "rattle" from my rears every time I ride over small pot holes or bumps, I mean very minor bumps :wtf2: . I have tried it all, even un-installed, cleaned, lubbed and re-installed. I am out of ideas for this issue and so is the mechanic. I think Im going to sell and move on to Tein. :werd:

nogears909
Car: 2008 Niagra Grey Coupe 2.5S CVT

its posts like that ^^^^ that scare me from pulling the trigger on these

Loop

Bori, the front noise definitely should not happen. Does the clunk happen only during cold weather/starts? Does the clunking go away after driving a while? Did you torque the top strut bolt? Even if you did, I would use a quick jolt from a impact wrench. What is your front preload? I would try lowering the preload to 2-3 mm.

I am still looking into the rear rattle. Its not a big issue and won't affect the performance.

Nogears909, just remember that you have 50+ people(Altima owners) with these coilovers and there is only a small percent who are reporting issues here and to BC Racing.

IBCoupe
'19 Infiniti QX50 FWD

I've noticed the front clunking, too, but it goes away after a short while. It's usually just when I start up, and it only started happening when winter started getting real cold.

Ricko
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe

I dont have any rattle really. Maybe 1000 miles on mine. The only issue I have is they are squeaky as a mofo! I usually dont hear anything with my music but I turn it off and I get squeak from whats seems the back but it could also be all 4 corners. This is on stock settings.

Loop

Coilovers don't squeak, unless its a high pitch squeak from cranking your wheels to one side, which is a sign of dirty rubber cushion or the locking rings are dirty. Are you sure its not coming from the swaybar bushings? Possibly needs to be greased.

Loop

IBCoupe wrote:I've noticed the front clunking, too, but it goes away after a short while. It's usually just when I start up, and it only started happening when winter started getting real cold.
Are you sure you have tightened the top bolt enough?

IBCoupe
'19 Infiniti QX50 FWD

I probably haven't. All I have at my disposal are combination wrenches.

Loop

Sounds like you answered your issue.

IBCoupe
'19 Infiniti QX50 FWD

Sounds like! I'll see what I can do. I'm hoping to install my intake Friday afternoon.

Return to “Altima General Discussions”