Competition Clutch slip on 45 degree slope!

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
Jam-Dodge
Car: Nissan skyline R33 RB25det *Forged*

I've got this competition clutch in my tranny, On-off type & boy was it difficult to drive when i jus bought it but pretty normal now as kinda got used to the bite.
its a fierce clutch very hard on the bite but goes like a shot from there.
a weird thing happened that day when going up a 45 odd degree slope & cause rb's lowered i went in at an angle with the nsf tyre going on the hill 1st follwed by the osf & THEN my nsr tyre approaches the slope with the osr trailing a few inches behind & I LET THE CLUTCH OUT & IT GOES FULLY OUT. Engine speed increases with no movement of the car :frown:
then i decided to reverse up the slope in exactly the same way i was going up forwards, & in reverse it was fine.
I jumped out to check if the rear wheel was spinning when going in forwards but it defo were'nt

Like i says i've got a Competition/paddle shift sort clutch & is that normal for the clutch to slip like that when say one rear wheel has more load than the other. Im seriously confused with this one cause it is ok driving normal & even launching the rb it takes it quite good.

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

Your angle is a bit off, but that's okay. Even crazy steep feeling roads are barely 20 degrees, like in San Francisco.

Anyway, as you describe, that doesn't sound like clutch slip. Especially with the hitting it sideways approach. It sounds like differential slip. If those are clutch pack type diffs, then sure it's a clutch thing, but inside the diff, not at the tranny. Confirmation could be had by having another person watch all four wheels as you attempt this approach. Try forward and reverse. It seems that the front diff is fine and the rear is worn if you can reverse in but not forward in.

Maybe someone else here with a Skyline has some experience to share.

Please let us know how it goes and do you really want this in a skyline engine sub-forum or moved to the skyline car forum? (it doesn't seem like an engine topic to me)

Jam-Dodge

many thanks Centralcoaster33 sure youve got a point there i did'nt think bout the diff but like you says il get my mate to watch me as i go up again but.... what exactly will i be looking for cause when i attempted it last, i did'nt hear any tyre/metallic spin. oh & yes the post can be moved to the skyline car forum instead, i just thought it maybe something techy on the engine/trans side.
i'll update soon as i hit that incline again.....

Jam-Dodge

oh & my mistake it was around 35 degree & not 45 as i put on previous lol

centralcoaster33

I think you and your friend will be looking for a spinning tire (tyre). I realize you didn't hear it scrub, but suspect it might be hanging in the air and spinning free. It's just a suspicion, but seems to make sense in the situation you describe, so check it out.

I'll move to Skyline section where others may see this topic...

Jam-Dodge

ok well after an awfull cold snap & holidays overwith i managed to figure it out & centralcoaster33 your spot on the angle gave the car a 3tyre ride with one wheel off the ground: phew what relief, But saying that should'nt the other tyre have driven/nudged the car up

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

Nope, with certain locking differentials the one side has to have the other side pulling against friction (tire contact to road) or they BOTH quit. One side of the diff has to lock against at least some resistance to make the other side drive.

centralcoaster33

Glad it's figured out. Now, to decide if you want to replace the clutch packs inside your rear diff or replace the whole thing or just keep driving. Enjoy the ride!

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”