Comparision between entry level tires.

All over the world, Nissan products are involved in road racing, track days, time attack and autocross.
s1ndicate

Iam in need of a set of decent entry level tires. So far my two choices are going to be between the Dunlop Dizerra DZ101 or the Sumitomo HTR Z(not the HTR Z II). Mostly autoX use, stock s13 rims.

Also posting this in Tires, Suspension forum.

Codeman05
Car: 92 240sx

what class will you be running? Stock, STS, SM???

in stock or SM you can run full on race tires ie...hoosier AS03, Kumho Victoracers, V700, V710

in STS you have to use tires w/ tredwear greater than 140. if you are running this id would definately go w/ the falken Azenis. they are the top contender for the street touring classes and most people in the national circuit run these. plus their cheap, come in many sizes, and are very streetable (no snow though).

Project S13
Car: Nissan 240SX Fastback

Not to threadjack but I'm running in SCCA STS: 91 s13 SE (yes oem viscous diff )HB, currently on yokohama avs es100's. I'm usually just out to learn something about driving, but the people who win consistently are all on falken azenis.

I think the treadwear on the azenis is 180, is there really no tire that has more to offer for autocross only? I have two sets of rims so that's no concern.

Also a general question, looking over the STS rules, I suppose a lightweight flywheel is not an option, can anyone confirm this?

It says no tranny mods but I thought maybe they meant gear ratios or something less common than clutch/flywheel since people replace at least the clutch with age and may get something better than oem typically.-Thanks

TrueSlide
Car: Stuff

Currently running STS, I went with the DZ101s. They SEEM like a good tire. Iam jumping to the cold water on this one. Let everyone know how they turn out after a few hard events.

Codeman05

good luck with those tires. i have personally never driven a car with them so i couldnt give you my opinion. i used azenis for the past 3 seasons in sts and i swear by them. definately a good tire. i have also drove o nthe new nitto road course tire and they were pretty good. but i would still go w/ the azenis for performance and price. too bad that my itb's will be moving me to SM next year. ill have to dish out the big bucks for some hoosiers now.

and about your flywheel/clutch. the clutch is perfectly legal but im not sure about the flywheel. however i have a fidanza lightweight and i just "forgot" to tell anybody about it.

Project S13
Car: Nissan 240SX Fastback

How is the car's response now that you have changed your flywheel?I assume it would improve accel and decel capability, and make you have to relearn timing for shifting, launches, and heel/toe.

Was there any drawback that you noticed or anything that stood out to you about the change?

Codeman05

the car is 100 times moer responsive now. it didnt really take that mcuh getting used to. but i did install a new clutch w/ some more clamping force so that was really the hardest thing to get used to. i woud definately get on if you are going to be changing the clutch anyway. they are a little pricey but worth every penny.

Return to “Nissan Road Racing / Auto X Forum”