Comparing Frontier to Tacoma

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
SoCal 12r
Car: 94 bmw 325is 03ZX12R

hello, new to the forum, my name is Brent and I'm shopping for a new truck and hoping someone can offer some advice especially with comparisons between Nissan and Toyota (pros and cons) but also general Frontier owner feedback would be great too...

basically I'm looking at 06, 4dr crew cab, (long bed if Tacoma) V6 with auto tranny (honda has priced themselves out of consideration). I'd be using the truck occasionally as a daily driver, I have a Ninja 12r for the daily grind... mostly it would be for grocery getter, some camping, fishing and hunting or anytime I want to get something that doesnt fit in my backpack on the bike. I dont get into serious offroading to much because I dont like to fix whatever is gonna get seriously bent/broken or otherwise destroyed, so if I were to get the Nismo offroad stuff it would probably just be for cool looks and the random hunting trip :p

From what I've observed so far...

Nissan seems to have like 20 more hp and pounds of torqueNissan is a few thousand cheaperNissan offers leather upholstery (big plus)warranties and milage seem comparableone thing I dont really like is I'm limited to short bed only on Nissanpersonal preferance thing, I think the Tacoma looks nicer but Nissan still ok!

How come Tacoma's are outselling the Nissan's so much? At least in San Diego it must easily be 10:1 I see on the road, (and it seems like every Tacoma here is silver)

Are there any problems with Frontier that are responsible for such a large difference? I know Toyota historically has a better brand name, but it seems like thats been getting slimmer and slimmer over the years...

appreciate any comments, thanks!

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

The Tacoma and Frontier have always led the midsize truck market, and have been very comparable in pretty much every department.

I've always preferred the Frontier a bit more. The Tacoma's styling never appealed to me, and the Nissans generally have the better motor (the 4 liter VQ is a BEAST).

The main reason that the Tacoma sells more is the same reason all other Toyotas sell so well: marketing.

If you were asking for a recommendation between any two other trucks, I'd say "buy the Frontier" without hesitation. But the Tacoma's an excellent truck, too. I'd say go drive them both and see which one you like.

But if after test driving both, you still can't decide, just remember that the Nissan's V6 is among the very best engines ever made. That's really the big decision-maker for me.

As far as reliability, I'd expect the Nissan to be better--if the two aren't equal. That's not as biased a statement as it sounds, though: Toyota has been having quite a few major recall issues lately pretty much across the board (though it sounds like the Tacoma is unaffected...).

Oh, and welcome!

BadQ45t
Car: 21' Leaf SL Plus (wife's car)
05' X-Terra S 4x4
97' Q45t SOLD! Miss the old girl
84 300ZX (Original Owner)
2016 Mercedes Benz S550e V8 Power and 35 MPG

I agree, the Nissan is cheaper because of the Toyota name. I have a X-Terra with the VQ engine, it rocks. I think you will not go wrong either way both are rock solid. If you can save on the Nissan and be a little less like everybody else that is always a good thing.

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

It appears that Nissan is adding a long bed option for the 2007 model year. It adds 13 inches over the length of the standard Frontier bed.

SoCal 12r
Car: 94 bmw 325is 03ZX12R

the sales guy at the dealership told me that was a rumor when I went down there to see the trucks... hmm that might have made the difference needed finalize my decision

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”