Common Problems with Altima coupe

All things Altima Coupe.
seldomseen
Car: '12 Altima Coupe 3.5 SR & '15 Lexus GS350 F Sport

Thought it would be helpful to start a thread indicating the common problems and resolutions that affect the '08-'13 Altima coupe.

1. CVT failure (mostly affects '08-'11) model years??
2. Driver's seat rocking/movement -- carry over problem that also affects Infinitis
3. Dash board melting - seems to primarily affect '08 model years???
4. Noise from dash board
5. Speaker rattling from music with bass
6. Excessive coolant odor - issue can be intermittent??

Build on this list if there are other issues that affect the '08-'13 Altima coupe. 4th generation sedan owners should feel free to provide feedback as well. :biggrin:

Hussain
Car: 08 Altima Coupe 3.5se CVT

I have a 2008 3.5se CVT coupe, the only problems I've had are number 2 and number 3.

xshinnyshinx
Car: 2011 Nissan Altima Coupe

I'm starting to notice a problem every now and then for my 2011 cvt. When I press the gas the rpm will suddenly drop out of nowhere and then pick back up even with my foot on the gas. A quick 1-2 second thing that happens maybe like once a week or so.

Hussain
Car: 08 Altima Coupe 3.5se CVT

xshinnyshinx wrote:I'm starting to notice a problem every now and then for my 2011 cvt. When I press the gas the rpm will suddenly drop out of nowhere and then pick back up even with my foot on the gas. A quick 1-2 second thing that happens maybe like once a week or so.
had you just braked really hard? I know after you brake really hard the car goes into limp mode for a couple seconds

xshinnyshinx
Car: 2011 Nissan Altima Coupe

No i haven't even stopped at all. When it happened a couple of days ago I slowed down not even pressing hard on the brake to make a turn into the intersection with no traffic and then pressed the gas and it happened.

Ranga14
Car: Boosted 08 Altima Coupe 3.5

xshinnyshinx wrote:No i haven't even stopped at all. When it happened a couple of days ago I slowed down not even pressing hard on the brake to make a turn into the intersection with no traffic and then pressed the gas and it happened.
I have this happen with my new 2013 Juke Nismo. The dealer explains it as some kind of protection mechanism.

seldomseen

I noticed my tach "drop" rpm while on the highway once. But the tach "drop" didn't actually affect the power at all while I was driving. I haven't noticed the tach drop since.

fyrcomm
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe 2.5S CVT
2014 BMW 435i M Sport

xshinnyshinx wrote:I'm starting to notice a problem every now and then for my 2011 cvt. When I press the gas the rpm will suddenly drop out of nowhere and then pick back up even with my foot on the gas. A quick 1-2 second thing that happens maybe like once a week or so.
same thing happens to me everytime i accelerate while going up a slight incline. happens to me at the same place everytime i drive home from work. doesn't really bug me so i don't plan to bring it up until the next time i have to go to the dealer

seldomseen

Tach fluctuation is actually common on cars with traditional transmissions as well. As long as your don't actually experience/feel power loss everything should be okay.

KMiller
Car: 2010 A/C 2.5s CVT
2001 altima GXE(semi-retired)

I've had almost the exact problem as fvrcomm. Slight incline. Same place coming from work. It only happens from a dead stop. If I'm moving even 1 mph it's fine. I'm might be damaging the trans, but I usually shift as quick as I can into 2nd & back to 1st before going thru the gears normally. Also, I noticed the rear speaker rattling, but after I replaced them with good Polk's & baffles, it was still there. I haven't pin-pointed it yet, but I think it's something in the rear shelf or maybe even the trunk.

chaossloth
Car: 2010 Altima Coupe SR

I get the rattling even without the music. Part of it was the center brake light hitting the window but I fixed that with a piece of paper towel for now. It's a horrible noise...I need to take all the plastic out and find it soon. I noticed the cvt "drop" in rpm a lot but once I got the bully dog tuner installed it's mostly gone.

cbelschner
Car: 2009 Nissan Altima Coupe 2.5s

after installing an high flow intake and exhaust the car "thinks" its getting too much air and cuts the throttle while idling it'll fluctuate from 750 to below 500 rpms. anyone else have this issue?

Irvxing
Car: 2011 Altima Coupe 2.5s M/T

cbelschner wrote:after installing an high flow intake and exhaust the car "thinks" its getting too much air and cuts the throttle while idling it'll fluctuate from 750 to below 500 rpms. anyone else have this issue?
Try performing an idle air relearn.
Google it as I don't remember the process

TAMU_QR25DE
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL 140,500miles, bought 2013

For 3 I have common problems as well, the dashboard is melting, 5 speaker (Bose) does smack crackle pop, my car is 2008 2.5 SL.
The CVT I don't experience problems. It has 122,000 miles, but I accelerate it super slow (0-20 mph 6 seconds), on the highway I don't really pay attention to RPM, most of the time 2k rpm(75 mph) - 3k rpm(85 mph with 200 lb luggage weight ).

When the weather is cold, starting the engine it stays at 1.5k rpm, then after a while it drops to 1k rpm. (assumed to be system warm up design). Put it in Drive or Reverse, it drops to 750 rpm.

CMBusch
Car: 2009 Altima Coupe 3.5 SE

I have a 2009 3.5 SE. I have number 2 for sure. However, my CVT whines really loud when it warms up(especially in the summer) but it seems to be functioning properly. I can also smell melting plastic, but my dashboard doesn't look like it's melting at all.

seldomseen

The CVT definitely doesn't like it when the weather gets very cold. The CVT doesn't operate as smooth as it should when the temperatures are very cold. :rotfl

vinlogic
Car: 2008 A/C 2.5 S Premium Package

Does anyone have a problem where the car "clicks" that you can feel and hear when you put in in R or D for CVT? It's been doing this for quite some time now... Not sure if I should take it in.

JerseyBoy201
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe 3.5SE

does anybody have a problem with the AUX input for 08 model idk if it the wire i have thats crap or the input hole is messed it cause its not click in right, if anyone has this problem let me know or doesnt and thinks its just the wire let me know thanks

seldomseen

vinlogic wrote:Does anyone have a problem where the car "clicks" that you can feel and hear when you put in in R or D for CVT? It's been doing this for quite some time now... Not sure if I should take it in.
I haven't experienced the problem you've described. How many miles do you have on your Altima? Did you exceed your 120k miles powertrain warranty?

VTMike24
Car: 2008 Altima 3.5 SE 6spd

JerseyBoy201 wrote:does anybody have a problem with the AUX input for 08 model idk if it the wire i have thats crap or the input hole is messed it cause its not click in right, if anyone has this problem let me know or doesnt and thinks its just the wire let me know thanks
I've noticed that the connection for my aux input is kinda loose. sometimes sound only comes out of one side of the speakers until i wiggle the cable.

KMiller
Car: 2010 A/C 2.5s CVT
2001 altima GXE(semi-retired)

Good call on the rattling, chaossloth. Thanks. I wedged a small piece of folded up tire rubber in there, & 'cause of the tint, you can't see it, inside or out. First, I had a little piece of curved plastic from an old battery shroud in there. It worked & looked good, but I think it would have eventually vibrated out. Maybe not.

seldomseen

Has anyone with a 11/12 Altima coupe experienced any CVT related problems? I know the 11/12 Altima's powertrain warranty has ben extended to 100k miles. But I'm curious to know how solid the CVT on the 11/12 Altima's really are. :)

chaossloth
Car: 2010 Altima Coupe SR

A) I was still getting some vibration in the back window. I have since taken all the plastic trim out and lined it with "fake" dynamat along the edges. The roofing stuff from Lowes that people use. It'll probably melt a bit when summer hits but oh well. I also sprayed the edges with black plasti dip so no shine comes from the fake dynamat. After that I tightened the speakers in the rear and everything is rock solid now. No vibration.
B) I just took my coupe in for transmission and brake fluid change today. They said the transmission seal they fixed about 10k miles ago is still leaking. Why is it still leaking? Because I need a new transmission. CVT btw. While driving I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary that hasn't already been discussed on the forum but when I get it back I'll let everyone know if it's any different.

Return to “Altima Coupe (2008-2013)”