College/Scholarship question

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
BB Turbo
Car: 2007 Nissan Titan KC, 1992 Nissan 240sx Coupe

Well, my dad wants me to start looking into what college I want to go to and until now I haven't given it much thought.

Question: Could you guys be kind enough to give me some links to some good search engines for colleges (that are meant specifically for colleges/degrees they offer, statistics and such)

*REDACTED* is a good one, but I can't get into it (only at school, and that was last year)

Thanks all.
Last edited by Rogue One on Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Deleted unapproved content

rousie13
Car: 2006 Nissan 350z Track Edition, 1997 Ford F250 4X4

What do you want to go for?

navysnail
Car: 1990 240sx fastback

http://www.collegeboard.com

ya ya, jesda fixed my spelling, but i went back and fixed mine too

Jesda

http://www.collegeboard.com/

US News and World Report also publishes an annual guide to all of the colleges in the country. Usually you can buy it off the shelf, otherwise check http://www.usnews.com

BB Turbo

Well, last year, I really wanted to go into something automotive. Then after I was done running around with half baked ideas running around in my head, I broadened up my field/interests. So what I'm lookin at right now is:Marketing/Advertising, Human Resources, and I can't remember the others.

edit: Thanks for the replies thus far, keep em coming guys.
Modified by BB Turbo at 11:35 PM 9/4/2004

navysnail

ya, im looking to going into engeneering, not sure what kind, maby aerospace or somthing, but nothings set in stone yet, i still got 2 more years in high school, but advice is always welcome so if anybody has anything to say about that, speak up

ilovedrifting
Car: skateboarding and drifting

im looking to go into the janitorial arts, me is intarted

navysnail

where are you looking to go henry? any ideas yet?

Modified by 240kid at 1:11 AM 9/5/2004

BB Turbo

*Custodial Arts

I'm still lookin, but I got a huge list down of possibilites. I'll update in a sec

ilovedrifting
Car: skateboarding and drifting

i was jk about the custodial arts thing

vicki

Study something you're really into. Unless you're planning on med school or engineering, you can pretty much major in anything. Most students dont go into the field that their major prepares them for anyway. Good luck.

rousie13

Engineering courses suck, just to let ya know. I'm in my 3rd year for Mechanical Engineering. You have a lot of work, lots of math, and lots of headaches. But I guess it will pay off in the end and you won't use half the crap you learn because you'll mostly use computers for your calculations.

BB Turbo

For anyone that cares, I narrowed it down to these colleges (in my state):

Sam Houston SUSchreiner UTexas A&M UTexas SU: San MarcosU of H

I'm would very much like to go out of state, but damn its expensive=(I'm gonna type down what majors I saw that interested me (doesnt mean I'd really consider it) in a later post.
Modified by BB Turbo at 4:29 PM 9/5/2004

rousie13

I actually got a better deal out of state than I did in state. Apply to schools out of state too...you might be surprised.

BB Turbo

Here are some:

-Arts, Visual & Performing-Commercial PhotographyCommercial Advertising/ArtDesign/ Visual CommunicationsDrama/Theater ArtsGraphic DesignIndustrial Design

-Business, Management, & Marketing-Business - GeneralBusiness Administration/ManagementBusiness CommunicationsInternational MarketingMarketing ManagementMarketing ResearchMerchandisingSales and DistributionSpecial Products MarketingVehicle Parts/ Accessories MarketingWarehousing/Inventory Management

-Communications Technologies-Desktop PublishingPhotographic/Film TechnologyRadio/ Television Broadcasting

-Computer & Information Sciences-Computer GraphicsWeb/Multimedia Design

-Mechanic & Repair Technologies-Auto Body RepairAutomotive TechnologyVehicle Emissions Inspection/Maintenance

-Psychology-Industrial/Organizational PsychologyPsychology GeneralSchool Psychology

And thats about it. Those are just the ones that I sort of had an interest to. Some of them I don't exactly know what they would do, but they sound ok. Some of them are self explanatory. Now I just got to narrow it down allot and research the major.If any of you guys know what these do, or if you all are currently have some of these choices as y'all majors/minor. could you give a brief description please? Thanks.

w1ngzer0
Car: Pfft. i don't own a box

government scholorships are only for poor people that make a total of 18k house hold income. Make more then that? to bad your to rich.

Now orginzation scholorships are great! get anywhere from 100-50,000 just for school

same deal with grants except school loans are teh gay so i stayed away from grants.

elbles
Car: 1990 Nissan 240SX SE Fastback

The Princeton Review offers a lot of great information, and was free when I had to look into things the past 2 years . . . http://www.princetonreview.com/ and you'll have to create what should be a free account, but the information is great, and fairly accurate. For what it's worth, it gives you recommendations as to how you'll do at various schools (how well they fit you, and vice-versa), but I found they weren't 100% accurate, as you would expect.

While web sites are great, I'd HIGHLY recommend touring schools, and meeting and talking to as many students as you possibly can; the information you'll get out of that is far more valuable than any information you can get from a web site. I ended up at Virginia Tech because of what I learned from people I met, and I couldn't be happier . . . well, I could be, but that would necessitate the removal of my 5 8 AM classes. ;-) Good luck man, and enjoy your next 2 years of high school . . . it may seem like it sucks now, but your course load tends to increase a bit at college, as does the number of times you have to get drunk. :-)

Drift Machine
Car: 1991 KA-T 240sx

Yeah I second that applying to out of state schools as well, some can be very cheap. And if you really want to go cheap look into some European schools, as College in some countries over there is free.

vicki

Drift Machine wrote:Yeah I second that applying to out of state schools as well, some can be very cheap. And if you really want to go cheap look into some European schools, as College in some countries over there is free.
This isn't really true. Most in state schools charge less for residents than out of state students.

If it's a private school, the cost is the same regardless of whether you're out of state or a resident. But you are more eligible for state grants and scholarships.

Universities in Canada are definitely a lot cheaper than in the U.S. European schools are TOUGH to get into. I was looking at a few schools in Spain and London a few years ago but they go through a different admissions process and their standards are a LOT higher. American education is pretty much a joke.

Whatever you decide, don't let cost be a factor for you. I go to a prestigious private school that costs $40k a year but I'm really only paying 6k a year with student loans. Scholarships and grants are GOD and my parents definitely don't make under $18k a year, like someone else's post suggested.

Drift Machine

I said some, not all. With things such as the Western Undergraduate Exchange, going to school at the University of Hawaii Manoa would have been cheaper then if I went to the University of Washington (if I went there and didn't live at home, I live like 20 mins away from it).

Heh getting into European schools is different, they could really careless about your high school GPA. They are more concerned with high SAT or ACT scores. Or at least my school is, I go to the University of Limerick in Ireland. As well as if you are from america you can't even apply to some European schools, such as University of Oslo in Norway, until you have gone through a year of college in America. But then again the University of Oslo is free to anyone, you don't need to be a citizen as most people believe.

BB Turbo

Yeah my family makes well over 18k a year=(

Keep the replies coming, they're really helpful.Well, since there are a scholarship out there I know of for smart hispanic students, (I would say I'm pretty smart, A & B student, occasional C) I'm half caucasian, half mexican, do I still qualify?

Any links to a scholarship site? I'm about to google that inquiry, but wouldn't mind you all responding with an answer

Drift Machine

http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/

I believe you can fill out a practice FAFSA and it will give you a general estimate what the government will give you, if any.

vicki

Dude, totally play up the minority status.

I actually had some white friends in hs who claimed they were part native american just because they are middle class and make too much to qualify for anything but too little to afford it without going into ridiculous debt. It's not like they're gonna trace your family line and stuff. lol.

What grade are you in? Junior year and first semester senior year grades are the most important.

http://www.fastweb.com is the best search engine for scholarships. You can even select the categories that apply to you and it'll send you an email letting you know which you are eligible for.

Also as you look for schools, look for one with a large endowment and one that meets most need met (this info can be found on collegeboard.com)

When I was in HS, I knew I wanted a small liberal arts university with small class sizes, ivy league profs, and somewhere within 300 miles. And it just so happens and most of those schools aren't exactly the most culturally diverse schools. So what did I do? I wrote about my difficulties in growing up and trying to adapt to the two cultures and the struggles of the gap between home life and social/school settings. That way I got accepted, and I got offered scholarships from the school and another private org.

BB Turbo

Yeah, there are TONS of scholarships for being a minority. Googled it and came up with a site thats affiliated with collegeboard.com (I think). A quick search based on my ehtnicity/nationalite, gpa, and what I plan to major in came up with about 500 results. Thanks for all the help guys. If theres anything else to add about anything (prefereably the majors I described above) feel free=)

KyleBartee1

And what exactly you plan to do afterwards? Really, it is better to be sure about such things. If you know what you would like to do after your college, think about it again. Maybe you can do something about it? For example, write your resume. Try to learn more about that subject. A resume is a very specific kind of text. It is the most important thing for hiring. See how it must be done at the *REDACTED* resource.
Last edited by Rogue One on Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Deleted unapproved content

Bubba1
Car: 2003 Nissan 350z
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

Holy zombie thread!

datechboss101
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SL -- RIP
2018 Nissan Kicks SR -- RIP
2019 Nissan Rogue SV w/ Prem. Pack

I didn't knew this thread that has been dead for like 15 years even existed!!!! I am in college right now though!

Return to “General Chat”