Cold start engine noise

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
mmenghani
Car: Nissan Rogue

My Rogue (SL AWD, 500 miles) makes engine noise (like tick tick of a clock but at a faster frequency) for about 5 minutes during cold starts when the temperature is below 20. When the temp is below 30 the noise remains for about 3 minutes. I warm up the car for about a minute to two (the rpm is at about 1200 at that point) before driving slowly but it feels that the engine is still not responding smoothly (the noise is present and the I feel lack of power and smoothness in the engine). Does anyone else have this issue. I am planning to put this overnight with the dealer but that eats up a lot of my time.

philipa_240sx

First off, Is the engine oil level ok? Apparently low oil levels will reduce oil pressure which affects the timing chain tensioners and an increase in engine noise.

Does it sound like a light rattle/tap much like a diesel? If it's more of a metallic rattling, then it could just be a loose heat shield on the exhaust system. I am curious since my '03 Altima with the similar QR25DE motor used in the Rogue developed a light 'tapping' after a few thousand miles. It becomes worse at lower temperatures and is especially noticeable at idle. The sound lessens but does not dissappear once warmed up. Apparently the noise comes from the valve train. As the cam followers (similar to lifters) wear, tolerances increase and they make a light tapping/diesel like noise. Apparently this is normal for the QR25DE and should not cause any performance or reliability issues. My car has had the noise for over 70,000mi and it hasn't gotten worse or caused any issues.

Let us know what the dealer finds if/when you bring it in.
Modified by philipa_240sx at 7:45 AM 2/21/2008

Ticmxman
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL 2WD Gotham Gray

I've noticed that when cold, the motor is a little noisey. But not enough for me to be too concerned. I have notice no lack of power, responce, or roughness in the engine, just a little more taping until the engine is warm in a few minutes. If you find out any more let us know.

MHmidhudson
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD / 2006 Frontier CC SE 4x4

Welcome to Nissan Valve Clatter. Sign of a good engine, it is! My old 3.5 had it; the silkysmooth 4.0 on my '06 Frontier has it; and my Rogue does too. Goes away in four minutes. The clatter is my cold-weather companion...I know the heat's coming up when it fades.

In other words (assuming you're as careful about your oil levels as I am): nothing to worry about. That sound tells you you're a Nissan owner.

MacRogue
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL 2WD Gotham Gray

My Rogue also made loud rattling noise when I would start it in the mornings. I took it to the dealer, and they found a loose heat shield.

PCY

Sorry to address this issue as normal for Nissan engines like the few replies above.

I've had 91 sentra, 95 maxima, 97 maxima, 02 Maxima, 06 frontier, and now 08 rogue. So far every engine have had this clickery noice upon start up except for my Rogue. But I'm ready for that noice to chime in once I break in the engine. I find it to be initial oil pressure doing the work for that phenomenon, especially when I use performance synthetic oil from Mobile 1. I phased it out to Castrol GTX w/same Visc grades and the noice got a lot quieter afterwards. Other than that, suspect loose parts like heatshields and such.

-Peter-

mmenghani
Car: Nissan Rogue

Took it to the dealer, could not find anything. But the temperature on that day was in the upper 40s to upper 50s. I had a loaner Altima 2007 and that too made a similar kind of noise but not to the extent of rogue (again maybe because of warmer temp). The noise appears more if when the revs go beyond 2K rpm when cold.Still, it is on record now with the dealer and they said since i go a 5 year warranty on tranny i should not worry.

philipa_240sx

Well, now that I'm a Rogue owner, I've found the valve clatter is present even on this brand new motor. It's no worse (louder) than the QR25DE in my Altima that had +70,000mi on it. It does go away once the engine has warmed.

MHmidhudson has it right. This is normal for most modern Nissan motors.

I would not worry about it.

EgNyTeR
Car: Rogue SL AWD

Hmm. . . I was actually going to ask about engine noise until I saw this thread. I've noticed that starting the engine in the morning when the engine is still cold seems to feel very like it's very rough. I don't know how to describe it but it feels like the engine cranks very high just to start. I'd say it revs maybe up to 3000-3500 rpms to start. When the engine isn't cold the revs aren't as high to get it started. Is this normal? I've never had a car have to rev so high in order to start the engine and I'm kinda worried. I guess it can be normal but for some reason it doesn't sound right.

northhoustonser
Car: Spec V

welcome to the world of nissan's crappy motors. nissan used to make good motors in the past but as a hardcore nissan fan im ashamed to say.. nissan is no longer existant.

My 2007 sentra specV has the same engine as the rogue and the engine noise is ridiculous and it is going to get worse. that noise is caused from the valves not having enough oil because nissan enlarged the oil ports to correct the oil burning issues on the old qr's so since it takes a while for the oil circulate in the engine it is going to make that noise on startups when the car has been off for a while.

northhoustonser
Car: Spec V

oh and also... if the rogues come equipped with the same electric steering columns as the sentra's prepare to get it replaced.... at around 1,000 miles or so your steering will make a loud obnoxious sound when making left turns. and go ahead and get on the waitlist for the parts that are on backorder to repair it. GO NISSANNN!!!!!

Return to “Rogue Forum”