Cold start, drove for a minute, then Versa completely stoppped

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
Stipp
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa

Hello everyone,

I wanted to reach out to see if anyone knew what might have happened with my Versa this morning. It was about 8 degrees out this morning where my 2009 Versa (~115K miles and I haven't done any work to the car short of oil changes and minor repairs to the body in the almost decade I've had it) sits in the driveway overnight every night. It's been snowing, no big deal, and after brushing snow off the car, I started my Versa and started off to work. The blue temperature light was on as it's been this winter and would turn off after a bit but this morning as I came to a 4-way stop the car freaked out. All my dashboard lights came on (low pressure tires, the PS light, the check engine light, etc...) and then the engine stopped. So, I sat there for a minute and then turned the key and the engine came back on and sat for a little while before going on to work and I made it without incident.

Does anyone have some thoughts about what happened here? I've never had a car just completely stop but this is my first winter with the car after it being in AZ for the last 9 years. Thanks for any insights on this one.

Chris

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

You've apparently lead a charmed life as any car on the planet can do that with no warning at all. The mileage hints toward needed maintenance likely that simple changing of fluids does not touch at all. Start with plugs which could easily do it and how long were you planning to run them? Overdue for change.

Likely the engine stopped before the lights all came on and normal.

EdBwoy

Yeah, I think the engine turned off and the dash lit up in the same way as when you turn the key to the second position.

As mentioned above, if you haven't done the spark plugs, PCV valves and air filter yet, (assumed from what you have said you have done to the car) go ahead and address those. I don't know why or how, but one time I was driving my Maxima in a code red storm in Ohio, and the thing stumbled and ran like crap with the check engine light flashing. I pulled the codes and I had mysteriously developed misfire codes on 3 cylinders. I replaced the spark plugs with OEM plugs and all was good. I wasn't even the coldest it had been that winter and it happened while I was cruising at moderate speed.

Check the condition of your belts and battery + battery terminals.

Another thing I've always wanted to ask people with former Arizona cars. Did you change the coolant to a more winter-friendly 50/50 mix or is it still running water with minimal antifreeze?

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

One should be running 50/50 everywhere, it's not just for freeze protection, but corrosion as well. Corrosion increases with heat. Aluminum parts will hate low coolant percentages, they sure do here in Texas. And while coolant does not increase boilover protection nearly as much as the makers want one to think, it does increase it by maybe 5 degrees or so.

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”