I Searched the forum, but no luck. I have a complex issue.
P0101 is back after my 147000 spark plug change that I posted that I thought cured from getting rid of P0301 and P0101 - 7 months ago.
NOW 165000 MILES-ISH
I am lacking some schematics or pictures / on where the ground points are on the chassis for checking MAF /ECU grounds???.
7 Months ago:
- Replaced the MAF with a Hitachi
- Replaced the plugs
- Pulled the 4 year old battery out of the tray that was nasty green and cleaned / burnished everything
- Both codes went away
Last Month to Present
- P0101 is back.
- Took to dealer $350 to reprogram the ECU and they advised it probably needed a stock MAF
(Sub note: also took in for CVT going into failsafe they advised me I needed a new trannie, two 4 qt oil changes (Amazon $62.00 and the right fluid level cured that one)
- P0101 light back on the next day.
- I put the stock cleaned MAF back in that I had kept that I thought was probably not bad anyway.
- P0101 came on that week.
- Cleared again took a very long 1000 mile road trip for work Never came on
- Drove in town in the city for a couple days P0101
- 2 cans of brake cleaner – Really never found a vacuum leak.
- Pulled of top cleaned throttle body butterfly (yes I used the brick trick to open the thing up with the gas pedal and did not force it open)
- Erratic idle subsided a little seemed to be running good 2 days later P0101
- Checked all of the intake piping downstream from MAF to throttle body everything looked good from my spark plug change and everything was where it needed to be (NO CRACKS EITHER)
- Replaced battery that was crusting up (cracked post seal) and replaced the connector part because they were trashed thinking it was getting voltage spicks in tow nwhen the alternator could not keep up.
- P0101 Next day
- I did all of the learning resets per the book yesterday, and Poof P0101 within 12 city miles.
- Last night I reset it again and then decided to pull the middle section of the snorkel out to see if it was related (Like the K&N issues everyone has had)
- No light thus far today two trips work and back…………..AND FUEL MILAGE UP 3-5 mpg
• I saw the procedure for checking voltage etc. and the ground however cannot find a picture of print on where the main ground is for the ECU and the MAF?
o If someone has this schematic or can take a picture where they are in the engine compartment that would be great.
• I found a crusty connection (ground) under the middle section of the snorkel next to the battery tray…………IS THAT BOX THERE THE ECU or the engine fuse box?
• I am also wondering about the bottom section of the snorkel, it is able to rotate about 15 degrees in both directions
o This caused me to think maybe I hit road debris and broke it loose from the grill which would rob the air cleaner of force fed air??????
o Does anyone know if this piece should be rigid mounted?
******I NEED TO MENTION THAT BEFORE CLEARING THE CODE THE CAR SMELLS REALLY BAD AT STOPLIGHTS AND IN THE GARAGE ITS RUNNING VERY VERY VERY RICH when the SES light is on.
After I clear the light the rich smell goes away.
Any help on any of this is greatly appreciated.
1. Bad ECU?
2. Walmart Fram El Cheapo air filter not letting air through (been running this filter since 2011)?
3. Snorkel busted?
4. Bad ground?
6. Lock Ness ?