Coilovers

Forum for Nissan wheel fitment, tire selection, suspension setup and brake discussions.
Ace
Car: S14

Alright I've heard all about coilovers and I like the idea of lowering to my desired height. But I'm all about performance and I want to know really no BS if there is a significant difference between the cheapest Tein coilovers(can't remember what there called) and my setup or Eibach Sportlines and Koni adjustable shocks. If it is worth it I may have to swap to coilovers so your input is apprectated. But have first hand knowledge, no my friend said he pulled 2 g's in his coilover setup. I may use this car on a few auto-crosses, but it is basically a street car.

Ragpicker

I,m also going to do suspension.What about those coilovers? and forget about bang for bucks..lets just hear about bang. Best, better, good...

I also want performance. I live in the mountains, in twisties, not always smooth.

?Coilovers VS best springs and struts?

TheProfessional
Car: movies, music, cars

i run KYB AGX's with eibach prokits and think the setup is amazing! it only dropped my car a little over an inch, which is perfect for my 18 x 8 TE37's. if youre planning on having a street car mostly, go with KYB AGX and eibach prokits... but if youre ALL about suspension, then go with the Tein HA's, although i dont think theyre worth it. and 2'gs on a skidpad, is BS. but if youll be adjusting your suspension a lot for racing go with coil overs... if youre still really confused... IM me. [email protected].

Ace
Car: S14

The 2 g's on the skid pad was a joke. I have a nice suspension setup already and I like it, but I have never felt what if any difference their is between coilovers and a spring and strut combo. Anyway I'll keep my setup until I have nothing to spend my money on.

APEXi240
Car: 08 Versa S hatch

Yes you can feel the difference. After having coilovers on my car I could never go to a spring/strut combo. And I got "cheap" coilovers too.

Dori Dori
Car: Cars of course

You can get proper dampening from a good aftermarket strut (like a Koni yellow or a KYB AGX). A coilover is not needed. I've had both, but I'm still not sure what I'm going to put on the 240. The only big advantage to coilovers, for me, is that I like how you get it all in one shot. The disadvantage is that they are harsh on the street.

240_Keyy
Car: '90 240 Fastback

Well, I had springs and struts on my previous car and I was kicking myself at every single autocross for not having coilovers. With this car I am getting the Tein HA's and a set of PBM's, that should be fun...

Dori Dori

Spend the extra money on RA's. After the pillow ball upgrade (which comes standard on the RA's), the price difference isn't that much. The RA's are that much better.:)

APEXi240

They are also THAT much harsher on the street.

Onizuka
Car: 91 coupe w/s13 SR20DET 89 hatch w/s14 SR20DE

the best "bang" coilovers would either be tein or apex'i units if money doesnt matter. i forget what the teins cost but the apex'i unit that comes with upper mounts are more than $2000.

240_Keyy

DoriDori, Any Idea as to where I can get the RA's? And I am getting the HA's with PBM's for roughly $1350, how do the RA's compare in price?

Nismo_Freak
Car: 89 240SX

RA are TOO STIFF for the street.... believe me ... I have driven them before and they will dent any wheel and without VERY good rubber they dont handle any better than the HAs on the street. I wish Tein made the HR dampers for the 240 which is a hybrid of the HAs/RAs (HA Dampers w/ RA Springs). I would suggest the Tein HAs w. PBUs (thats what I currently run). Say what you want but compairing Teins to AGXs/Springs is like compairing chocolate to sh-it.

nismo_man

hi im prety new to this ive been readind and im looking for something to handle good on the road i wont be racing on a track but i like to drive fast on the open road so would springs and shochs be good?and if so what kind and where can i get them.

Nismo_Freak
Car: 89 240SX

Nismo_Man you are a AGX + Sportlines kinda guy... hit em up at Enjuku or hit up Daunttless on Aim (SN: Daunttless)

Dori Dori

I had RA's on my last car. They are stiff, but not much worse than the HA's. Also, since the RA's have a threaded shock body, you can adjust height w/out effcting ride quality too much. Also, using RA springs would do nothing positive. You can change the springs on your HA's to any s/r you want. That goes for all Tein coilovers as well. Remember, RA's are aluminum too.

orange_guy182

The HEs are also aluminum, if you can find them.

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

Most complete ride-height adjustable coilover systems are quite flexible in their designs. While not necessarily easy to set-up for the backyard mechanic, you can revalve the shocks and use different spring-rates to accomodate different environments. A lot of these systems come with stiff springs and shock valving. While this could work well on the track, it can perform quite poorly on the street (not to mention the harshness). A huge advantage to height adjustable perches is not so much the ability to raise or lower the car, but rather to be able to play with the corner weighting of the vehicle. It will give you more predictable handling in both directions. Many factory style will handle a little differently when turning right vs turning left. Another advantage is if you find a system that uses standard spring sizes, there will be a lot of choices for springs of different lengths and rates. Personally, I would work on roll stiffness before really getting that involved with the suspension. You'll want to retain more suspension travel and reduce dynamic camber changes by reducing roll.

240_Keyy

As for the HE's, http://www.mvpmotorsports.com has a set in stock, or at least they did about four days ago. Phase 2 also had a set in stock, but none of you suckaz can have 'em because I ordered them already :)

orange: I didn't know the HE's are aluminum, that's cool. Is the damper body also adjustable?

nismo_man

i think im going to go with the agx's and the sportlines can someone tell daunt i need to talk to him

Lsnaple

hey 240_keyy, would you tell me how you like them and if you think it was worth the extra money? i ask because i have the money for springs/shocks, but dont know if i want to save a little more to get coilovers. i prefer performance over ride quality/comfort, meaning i liek the stiffer suspension set up over a smooth setup.

240_Keyy

Lsnaple: Ya sure I should get them on Monday so I will make a post about the install and my initial feelings. However I really think that it is worth it to get coilovers as opposed to springs and struts because I was always wishing that I had put coilovers on my last car instead of struts and springs. My wife got Tokico Illumina coilovers for her car and they are mucho nice. Coilovers are totally worth it, even if you just get Ground Controls or somthing like that.

Dori Dori

The HE's aren't all aluminum.

240_Keyy

lol, oh well, the dampers only weigh like 8lbs so whatever they are made of is light!

WhtTrshPunk

So what about like AGX's + eibach pro's + cusco PBM's...would it be too much trouble for a backyard mechanic such as myself to get them to work together in harmony? I want my car to handle well but I'd still like to be able to ride comfortably back and forth to school(50 miles one way) and work. I guess what I'm looking for is the sweet spot in the middle between ride quality and positive handling characteristics.

APEXi240

If you are going to be putting a ton of miles on your car, I'd go with springs/struts/pbm. Unless you don't mind wearing the sh*t out of your coilovers, then go for full setups....but it sounds like you wouldn't benefit too much from coilovers.

S13 King
Car: cars, performance, girls

Hi, I'm new to this forum but I'm S14 King (King 240 at styleandspeed.com, real name is Steven) I have a 95 240sx and I'm going all out with out feeding rice to my Silvia. Now that I've had the dent fixed and a fresh coat of skin put on her she is ready to be upgraded. I know 240_Keyy I believe his name is on here. I'm gonna do the suspension first because thats what I was told should be done first before the SR20DET or SR22DET (haven't decided) is dropped in the engine bay. Anyone who has experience with suspension and many other things on the 240sx platform advice would be helpful. Thank you for your time.

S14 King:help

R240NA

S14 King wrote:Hi, I'm new to this forum but I'm S14 King (King 240 at styleandspeed.com, real name is Steven) I have a 95 240sx and I'm going all out with out feeding rice to my Silvia. Now that I've had the dent fixed and a fresh coat of skin put on her she is ready to be upgraded. I know 240_Keyy I believe his name is on here. I'm gonna do the suspension first because thats what I was told should be done first before the SR20DET or SR22DET (haven't decided) is dropped in the engine bay. Anyone who has experience with suspension and many other things on the 240sx platform advice would be helpful. Thank you for your time.

S14 King:help

Unless your steering wheel is on the rightside, please do not call your car a Silvia. It's a 240SX, live with it.

Nsport240
Car: My Car

oh yeah, well im going to put the steering wheel on the right just so i can call mine a silvia. ha ha. r240 check out the deals gap thread weve got going. For a daily driven car that wont see much track use, it makes no sense to pay the exorbitant amout of money for coilovers. for the best ride quality without sacrificing handling, call nissan motorsports and sorce the KONI yellow shocks and Eibach springs. prokit lowers less than sportline but has a stiffer spring rate. thats what i have ordered and thats what we installed on psyclone69s 240. his car rides no different than aubrys that has coilovers. if you get high end shocks and good springs, all you sacrifice is the ride hieght adjustment. I can live with out it, can you?I just realized that none of you know aubry, hes got a 240sx with coilovers and he lives close enogh to me that i can drive his car. sorry about the confusion.

R240NA

Nsport240 wrote:oh yeah, well im going to put the steering wheel on the right just so i can call mine a silvia. ha ha. r240 check out the deals gap thread weve got going.

And where would this magical thread be located?

240_Keyy

Lsnaple: Here is my update, save up and get the HE's. The installation was by far the easiest suspension install i have ever done in my life (so far I have done a total of 8 on 6 different cars) Everything is super duper top notch quality and Tein really paid attention to detail. The adjustability of both the spring perches and mounting perches is definitely awesome. If you have them set to full soft the ride quality is almost like stock, but much more well dampened. If you bump it up to 8 in front and 9 in back, it is fantabulous! I highly recommend these to anyone.

Return to “Nissan Tires, Wheels, Brakes and Suspension”