Code P1778

General discussion area for the L32-chassis Altima
Warde3
Car: 2011 Altima

Hello all... The car is a 2011 with 140,000 miles. It went into super granny limp mode and would not accelerate over 5 mph. I checked for fault codes and P1778 came up. I erased the fault and it drove fine... accelerated better than ever and the fault didn't return. My questions are... with the P1778 code, is the CVT a sure gonner? Is there possibly a control module or sensor that went bad? Most everything I've read calls for a new $2500 CVT... I have only had it a year and have no idea if the CVT has been replaced in the past.. PLEASE someone, give me some hope!... Thanks, Don

macgiver

mac, please do a little homework and state what that code (you don't state vehicle ,year,engine & code explanation in Question ) specifically involves , usually also listed is what SPECIFICALLY will "Trigger" that code - conditions , related systems etc. That'll help you and anyone who may care to respond & help , but hasn't because of generality & lack of background, respectfully G 3/29/2018

Warde3

Thanks Mac... Im going to take exception with your response, respectfully of coarse... I have done plenty of homework, and was told this forum is a great resource with lots of friendly advice.. I thought I posted my question in the 4th Generation ALTIMA forum, which tells you what vehicle it is. I stated the year as 2011, my mistake that i didn't mention the 2.5 engine. The ONLY Nissan P1778 code I found in my "homework" is STEP MOTOR FUNCTION. I can't tell you SPECIFICALLY what triggered the code, other than driving the car to work. The CVT is the transmission, which is not very general... anything else I should have added?

macgiver

mac, Warde3 no problem , I 've been lately killing time past 2 1/2 months with seriously busted up knee,and like crossword puzzles & TV - on the Forum here answering threads , I'm mechanic & electrician. I see my response was a little :eek: , especially if your new to the sight , I'm not exactly thrilled at re-reading and you have my attention. :rolleyes:Yeah ,there are some ambiguous codes and tricky situations that's likely your CVT case apparently and hopefully someone with eperiencing the fix specifically to yours can chime in - mine I've done fluid / filter / pan cleaned and supposedly that's the key in avoiding most "situations" ,respectfully G
:cool:

Warde3

Whoa! 2 1/2 months... sorry about the knee G. You must be bored silly, good luck with the rehab.. Please tell me you did it doing something fun.. We'll get the CVT issue figured out. Im just exploring ALL options and knowledge resources before I hand over $2500 to my local friendly Nissan dealer...right??... Sincerely, best of luck with the knee... Don

macgiver

mac, fell off a stage 12:18 AM Jan 1st 2018 :lolling: ACL 30% torn , PCL 50% torn , LCL aggravated old motocycle damage , Popliteus muscle and both heads of tendons injured , no need to explain "How" I may be sometimes over the top , like Charlie Chan says "Scuse me sir " :facepalm: Thanks for the reply - carry on!
G 3/29/2018

Return to “4th Generation Altima Sedan (2007-2012)”