Code P0340 plus VDC off light and slip light on

A general discussion forum for G35 and G37 owners and a great place to introduce yourself to the NICOclub G-Series Forums!
alfmando
Car: 2003 G35 Sedan 6MT

History:I bought a 03 6MT sedan back in dec of 2007 with 61000 miles.. right now i have 69000 miles .. the only thing i have done to the car is replace the oil with synthetic and replaced the air filter as well as the cabin filter.Problem:Yesterday when i turned on my car the check engine light on as well as the "vdc off" and the "slip" light. The car is difficult to turn over.. but i don't notice much difference in performance. I brought my car to auto zone to have them check the engine code and came up with P0340. Which means that there is a malfunction with the camshaft position sensor in the left bank. I bought a the sensor and plan on replacing it soon.. Possible solution:Replacement of sensor? electrical problem?
Modified by alfmando at 5:45 PM 6/16/2008

mister2nr

while the P0340 is a cam sensor that won't fix your VDC or Slip Light because those two come on when there is an ABS problem. VDC is a different type of ABS so you will need to get the car scanned again. I couldn't tell you if they can scan that because I have no idea what type of scanner they use. But if you take it to a local dealership or to a shop that might have a generic scan tool that can read it I would do so. But yea replace the Cam sensor and you won't have your trouble starting anymore.

fixer
Car: 08 Sentra

check the brake fluid level, if fluid low that can turn on vdc and slip light. if that is not the case, you need to take it to the dealer to scan the vdc for possible fault codes.

OR_350ztt

Did you figure this out? I have an 03' z and I am having the exact same problem. i replaced the sensor and still no go.. I just installed a new engine and am beginning to think that I got bank 1's cams off a tooth.

I have scanned the car at least 5 time and p0340 is the only code I get and my VDC ligt and slip light is on.

My car is heavily modified though so it makes it a little harder to figure out.

JohnFx
Car: 2006 Infiniti M35

That sounds almost identical to what happened to me. Had synthetic oil put in a few days ago and replaced the air filter. I have a 2006 M35 with close to 65K miles on it. I was about 1 mile away from my house on a slight incline and the engine just died on me and the SLIP and VDC off lights came on. I didn't notice any braking troubles. I stopped the car, put it in park and then turned it back on by using the push button start and it came right back to life. The only lingering problem is that the "check engine soon" light came on and has remained on since the stop.

I have also noticed recently that it seems to randomly lose some power and then get it back when I am driving at freeway speeds. I thought I was imagining it and was ready to blame it on a head-wind, but now I don't know. I guess I am heading for the dealer in the morning for what is typically a costly experience.
alfmando wrote:History:I bought a 03 6MT sedan back in dec of 2007 with 61000 miles.. right now i have 69000 miles .. the only thing i have done to the car is replace the oil with synthetic and replaced the air filter as well as the cabin filter.Problem:Yesterday when i turned on my car the check engine light on as well as the "vdc off" and the "slip" light. The car is difficult to turn over.. but i don't notice much difference in performance. I brought my car to auto zone to have them check the engine code and came up with P0340. Which means that there is a malfunction with the camshaft position sensor in the left bank. I bought a the sensor and plan on replacing it soon.. Possible solution:Replacement of sensor? electrical problem?

Modified by alfmando at 5:45 PM 6/16/2008

infinitilovers
Car: G35 Sedan

I had the exact same problem. What did you find out?

infinitilovers
Car: G35 Sedan

Did you figure out the problem?

2004g35rwdsp
Car: infiniti g35 rwd 2004 sp

I also got this code. Prior to doing the reading I had noticed an oil leak from the valve cover gasket into the spark plug holes (3 out of 6 had some oil at the bottom where the spark plug threads to the engine).

If any of you guys have solved this or know someone who has, please post it.

I am planing to change the valve cover gasket and "all the parts in between" + the auxiliary belts since i'm at it and they are showing some cracking and making noise.

I'll post back once I'm done and see if my problem is solved.

Thank you

ArNarG35
Car: 2003 G35 Sedan

I have a 2003 G35 that shows P0340 Code for the Cam Sensor. The car suddenly dies at random times.
Has anyone figured this out? If so, please post the fix.
Thanks!

exusme21
Car: 2003 G35

I had this problem and the car died on me on the highway. The p0340 code was for the left cam sensor. I took it to the mechanic who said there are several possibilities. loose electrical connection, bad sensor, gummed up sensor, low oil or old oil. My oil was done two months ago but he said the oil looked bad...possible future problem? He replaced the cam sensor and all the lights went away (vdc and slip) and the car is running smooth. I also got an oil change for good measures.

SEPTICPROFESSOR
Car: 2006 M35 BASE

Excellent thread !

2006 M35 base with about 125K miles.

Had CEL exact same code pus VDC off light and SLIP light on.
Was hard accelerating and it bogged down. At restart took longer to crank.
Luckily only had less than 10 city miles to get it back home.
Really screams again now !

Code P0340 Circuit "A" (Right, Passenger side bank)

In place camshaft position sensor appeared original as its o-ring was flattened.
Numbers on in place sensor: SGVB000 5414B5 A29-640 C2O

Here's the replacement sensor I installed: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003U ... UTF8&psc=1

Here's and excellent tutorial showing sensor location and correct plug removal:
https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-dri ... rsion.html

Here's the Bluetooth Diagnostic OBDII Reader / Scanner for Android Devices I use:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005N ... UTF8&psc=1

Here's the best app on earth to use in conjunction with the reader/scanner:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IJ ... UTF8&psc=1

Return to “G35 and G37 General Discussions”