Clutches...

For discussion of front-drive SR20DE, SR20VE and SR20DET engines!
campground man
Car: 1990 Ca18det B12 Sentra

I just bought a 91 SE-R with a few slight mods to the motor, possibly putting out about 10-15 more hp than stock...

Anyhow, the idiot that had it before has a stage 3 clutch in it. Basically, you have to STAND on top of the pedal to mash the clutch. In addition to that the clutch is all the way out at about 1.5-2 inches from the floor.

#1 It kills your foot if your in town a lot.

#2 There is no way my wife could drive it in town.

#3 The cable couldn't last much longer...

My questions to you guys is: Would putting a stage 1 clutch in it fix this problem? Would it be easier to mash and could we adjust it to where the clutch isn't all the way out at about 2 inches from the floor?

RED_DET
Vendor
Car: 2004 6 speed G35 Sedan, 2011 G37x, 1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R SR20DET, C7Z06

Yes a less aggressive clutch is going to solve your problem. Stage 3 clutch is at least a Heavy Duty Pressure Plate or even Extreme. It is not for the faint of heart and sucks for daily driving. On a N/A sentra, it is complete over-kill. You can put the oem clutch back in and be fine.

pachuco
Car: 91 sentra ser turbo, 89 240sx, 79 280zx, 01 G20t

I have an act 6puck sprung with a heavy duty pressure plate and it is needed to hold the power of a stock sr20det. It is tough to operate the clutch but you don't have to stand on the clutch pedal to operate. however the cable will wear out and break. I was using a custom 4 puck and pressure plate from a local clutch shop and it slipped after 3 months and kept slipping. There is really no way around having a harder pedal with cable operated clutches.

Return to “SR20DE / SR20VE / SR20DET Forum (front drive)”