Clutch Spring out for the count?

The Nissan 300ZX (Z32) general community discussion forum
FaTaLz32TT
Car: Cars

When I press the clutch pedal it feels like its broken. It is loose as freak, and I can't go into ANY gear! I read on Autotrader that the clutch spring is weak. When I had enuff money I was gonna switch the clutch cause of my current hp output, but I need the car running ASAP. Any info is much appreciated!

NISTECH

does it feel like the pedal assembly itself is loose or does it feel like a hydrolic failure?

FaTaLz32TT
Car: Cars

Well I bled the clutch fluid and it was working jus fine. Now it wont go into gear when the car is on. I can switch gears smoothly when the car is off, but thas no good. z1motorsport said it could be my master or my slave cyclinder going out.

NISTECH

it could be one of those 2 items but it could be a bad pressure plate too. have someone push your clutch pedal while you watch the slave cyl travel it should be a good inch and a half or so travel if it only moves like a quarter inch i would say its hydrolic (master or slave cyl's or both) if it does have good travel i would say your problem lays inside the bellhousing with the pressure plate or clutch disc.

drjohn

Don't forget on this model there is also a bleeder on the inner right fender under the hood that is a bleeder point for the clutch hyd.and if this is not bleed and then the slave rebleed you can get air trapped in the system. This line is about 8mm in dia. and screws into a brass block with a bleeder in it. You may have to alternate and bleed them a couple of times to get the air out.

NISTECH

it usually helps to have the car on an incline when doing the bleed procedure drjohn is talking about. either the front end on jack stands or on a steep drive way.

i2ice4m3
Car: COUNTERSTRIKE!

I think I have a similar problem. I was driving along and press the clutch in, but it doesnt come back up. I fought with the pedal to get it back up and it did, but the clutch pedal can depress very easily. I can shift gears, but the engagement point is extremely low compared to before. Also, when I have the clutch pressed down completely, I heard a metal on metal noise from the engine/transmission area. The sound goes away after I release the clutch. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

NISTECH

i2ice4m3 wrote:I think I have a similar problem. I was driving along and press the clutch in, but it doesnt come back up. I fought with the pedal to get it back up and it did, but the clutch pedal can depress very easily. I can shift gears, but the engagement point is extremely low compared to before. Also, when I have the clutch pressed down completely, I heard a metal on metal noise from the engine/transmission area. The sound goes away after I release the clutch. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

replace the clutch disc, pressure plate, throwout bearing, machine your flywheel, sounds like your clutch has gone metal to metal. you may also want to check to see if you over extended your slave cyl and allowed air to enter the system.

i2ice4m3

Strange...i got the clutch about two years ago. It's got 20k miles on it- I thought it would last longer than that. Any chance it can just be the clutch master cylinder. Thanks

NISTECH

the clutch master will not make a constant metal grinding noise while held in. it would only make noise as it was being pushed or released. same holds true with the slave cyl.

i2ice4m3

ok..well thanks a lot! guess i need a new clutch :P

KEL_VIN
Car: cars and basketball

I have the sort of the same problem with my 91 jdm z32, I replaced the entire clutch system all the way to the top, the master cylinder and all. The master cylinder was bench bled and it was good. Still it doesn't work. We've tried bleeding it but we can't get it to pressurize for some reason. We tried looking for the bleed point "DRJOHN" was talking about but we can't find it. Everytime I press on the clutch I can push it with my pinky all the way to the metal, any suggestions?

NISTECH

the bleader is right on the passenger side about 12 inches back from the head light in plain site very close to the fender lip when the hoods open. note though on a 300zx it helps to lift the front of the vehicle as high as possible to help the air travel to that bleader. it is a bear sometimes and with some persistance you will finally get it blead. you do need 2 people to do it one to push the pedal and one to bleed the valve.

Toms240420
Car: My car

i2ice i have the same problem you have. i still shift fine but sometimes i hear the same metal on metal. sometimes it wont even go into gear at all, but not very often. i bought it that way and havent had $ yet to fix all that. it is not a problem YET, but it concerns me.

Return to “300ZX (Z32) General”