Clutch Recommends & Shifter Problems

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
scotty-2-forty
Car: 1996 Nissan 240SX SE KA24DET

Question(s):

1. What clutch (and flywheel combo) have you had or can recommend for a turbo KA24DET daily street driver? I need a unit capable of 350 wheel hp and up (for future).

2. I recently installed the newest B&M short shifter (the true one) ... I love it except for the noise. I have had plenty of shifters, most recently a Steeda model on my 98 Cobra. I realize due to the nature of these units that transmission feedback is inevitable. However, this one seems to be more so on the the noisy side than any others I've had. It sounds like marbles spinning in a tin can. Here's my question: Could the excessive noise be a bad throw-out bearing, or is this just the nature of this transmission?

Any feedback is most appreciated! Thanks.

george
Car: autocross

the transmission in the s14 is a tough set of cogs. i have the nismo short shifter and its as quiet as hell. so you might wanna try that one...it was only $80

george

and for the clucth.....go through stillen for the stage one clucth they offer its good till 370bhp

huguetpj
Car: 93 KAT Coupe

hey george... did you buy the nismo short shifter online? did a quick search but couldn't find anything... thanks

george

a friend of mine got it from pdm-racing, a true 240sx guru. but i heard the obx shifter is just as good.

huguetpj
Car: 93 KAT Coupe

unfortunately pdm-racing don't carry OBX SS anymore :(

george

try jspec.com they usually have some good products

mattback
Car: being a big f'ng ricer

scotty-2-forty wrote:Question(s):

1. What clutch (and flywheel combo) have you had or can recommend for a turbo KA24DET daily street driver? I need a unit capable of 350 wheel hp and up (for future).

2. I recently installed the newest B&M short shifter (the true one) ... I love it except for the noise. I have had plenty of shifters, most recently a Steeda model on my 98 Cobra. I realize due to the nature of these units that transmission feedback is inevitable. However, this one seems to be more so on the the noisy side than any others I've had. It sounds like marbles spinning in a tin can. Here's my question: Could the excessive noise be a bad throw-out bearing, or is this just the nature of this transmission?

Any feedback is most appreciated! Thanks.

not to rape your post but at what rpm does it vibrate?do you want to get rid of it

scotty-2-forty

Yes the shifter does vibrate at 5Krpm and above, coupled with more intrusive "marbles in tin can" sounds. Please note that I have the B&M short throw sport shifter, not just the rod.

I'm just trying to figure if the sounds I'm hearing are normal and just a result of materials used to make the shifter, or if there may be something wrong (or worn) within the transmission itself.

The B&M quality and "feel" are excellent; reduced throw and very confident, notchy shifts. I'm just super annoyed with the transmitting of noise. When I put the palm of my hand completely over the top of the shifter knob, the noise deadens, almost to non-existant.

My past experiences with short shift units have been increased noise (albeit not this much) and a rather enjoyable "ricochet" sound between shifts.

I may re-install the OEM shifter to see what difference it makes. Based on that, I may sell the B&M.

mattback
Car: being a big f'ng ricer

i have noticed that you too live in florida

if youre really sick of it i might want to take it off of your hands.

does it have stops so that it will not break the factory shift forks??

ive gone through one of those already by slamming 4th gear.. haha..

lets not talk about how many gearboxes ive been through.

i'm thinking about dipping the entire shifter assembly in like rubber or something or sprya on dynamat to try and make it stop being stupid.

Emperor

Hey this is interesting, i actually got that shifter about a month ago and was having the same problem. I also posted but no one really could exactly tell me what was up with it, so i called B&M. I had to call because im sure you came to find out also that they had no email support "for a reason".... Well anyways i called up and talked to a guy for a bit, real nice guy to my surprise. He told me the noise IS normal, and trust me i am getting the same noise as you. I asked him if there was ANY way that i could deaden the noise a little bit. He told me what he has done a few times while installing the short shifters was take some tape and some mag wheel weights and tape them around the actuall stick. He told me it wouldnt completely get rid of the noise, but lessen it. I know it doesnt sound like the prettiest way to do anything, but who the hell is gonna take your boot off anyways. I ordered a set of wheel weights from carparts.com since the local shops here like "auto zone"(not to mention any names) had no clue what i was talking about when i asked them if they had any wheel weights, which pissed me off a whole lot. but anyways i havent gotten around to putting them on since i got sick of trying to fix the shifter previously since i took it apart 3 or 4 times. anyways i will post when i swap in the wheel weights, maybe tommarow. Yeah and dont listen to anyone when they say buy that sh*tty rice shifter, trust me you bought the best.

sorry the post was so long.-Paul

scotty-2-forty

Well, it's nice to know I'm not the only one. Anyway, I investigated this a little on my own ... here's how I see it:

The OEM shifter has several noise reduction aids designed into it. One being a rubber (or equiv. compound) filled shifter rod housing. The second being the plastic retainer ring at the ball of the assembly. The third and most obvious is materials.

B&M's shifter rod is solid aluminum throughout. The retainer design at the ball joint is completely different from the OEM unit as it incorporates two spring assemblies encased in their own housings, compared to the OEM O-ring unit. These factors alone contribute to the megaphone affect of carrying noise up from the transmission through the shifter, just by means of metal-on-metal.

The B&M like most every other aftermarket part is designed to maximize performance. In doing so, the designers must compensate on other factors such as noise, harshness and vibration.

I also believe that the way the 240's transmission is designed plays into this as well. You don't get these kinds of noises from most front wheelers that utilize cable driven shifter assemblies. And, like I said before, I had a Steeda short shifter in my 98 Cobra. Yes it made some noise, but the transmission was larger, the car was louder and the shifter design was different which when factored together made the transmission noise less intrusive.

I'm not happy with the B&M from a noise issue alone. The build is superb and the shifts are tight. But, I ended up putting the stock shifter back in. Maybe when the turbo, exhaust and tires get here I'll put it back in ... ;)

Question; what are the design differences in Nismo's and Mr. C's? I've never seen either and was wondering about both.

Anyway, this is the world according to Scott ... feel free to add your own philosophy :D

MarkEmark
Car: fully-built '95 240sx KA-T

Do you want me to take that B&M off your hands? I'll give you $140 for it...let me know[email protected]

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”