Clutch Problems....

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
SRJesse
Car: Cars, hockey (roller and ice)

Hey Guys,

This morning I warmed up my car to go to school and when I went to leave the shifter would not go into gear. I lowered the e-brake and the car didnt even roll. It was stuck, like the clutch was stuck. So I put my foot out on the pavement and rocked the car and all I heard was a real loud "THUMP". Then everything was fine like the clutch broke loose, although now its really easy to push in and out the clutch. Its not as tight anymore. Its a stage 2 or 3 ACT Clutch and was very tight, now its like a normal stock clutch....... PLEASE HELP! Any clue what could of happened?

Xeromist
Car: Cars, Music, Computers

When you tried to put the car into gear did it grind or just not go into gear? If it made a grinding noise, that means the tranny input shaft was still spinning because the clutch didn't fully disengage it from the motor. If it simply would not go into gear even with the clutch disengaged, there may be something wrong with the tranny.

When you say it used to be "Tight" and now it's not, what do you mean? Do you mean that the pedal effort has decreased, or that the clutch now slips?

SRJesse
Car: Cars, hockey (roller and ice)

The clutch pedal used to be difficult to push in, and now it just feels like a stock clutch. I had a couple of mechanics that I talked to and most of them said its most likely a small leak from the slave cylinder. I am getting under the car later today to look for a leak and to replace the slave cylinder if that is the case. Thanks

mainetc
Car: Driving fast, reading philosophy

I had that exact problem with my stock clutch, it became harder and harder to get in gear, and then one morning I couldn't get into gear at all without INTENSE force. So I barely drove it to a shop and one new master cylinder later it worked fine again. It seems the seal had gone inside my master cylinder and it wasn't holding pressure.

Chris

av8mech240sx
Car: Flyin', Fixin' and Drivin'

at leat I'm not the only one right now having clutch problems!

Anyway, i'd guess and say I agree with the idea of it being a cylinder going out. one other thing that it could be is a broken throwout bearing or clutch arm. That is what my problem turned out to be. If you look at the right side of the tranny you might be able to peek insinde to see if things are ok inside. I was able to do that. My arm was cocked in there at an angle, so I knew it was broke.

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”