Clutch n flywheel info needed

Nissan 350z / Nissan 370z technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
AA-Ron
Car: 2004 Nissan 350z

I recently took my 350z into a shop and they told me the clutch was slipping and needed to be replaced. They also quoted me $2200 parts and labor. I've decided to try and look into this myself, but I need some input.

After some reading, it seems my clutch is definitely slipping between gears and when accelerating. A friend of mine suggested it just needed adjusting. Is this possible?

If it indeed needs replaced, do this have to include replacing the flywheel? Also, anyone have a recommendation on a clutch/flywheel setup they've had a good experience with? Of course its a Z so I do like performance but I won't be taking this car to the track so I don't need anything too extravagant.

Any input here would be great.

BusyBadger
Car: '92 Nissan 240SX
'05 Nissan 350Z
'13 Nissan Juke

If your Z has some miles on it I'd recommend doing both the clutch and the flywheel at the same time if you're having issues. Everything is all out and accessible. It would suck to replace one and then have to replace the other later on down the road. If someone else is turning the wrenches and you're paying them that would make even wor$e. The lightweight flywheel is an amazing drivetrain upgrade and really helps the Z rev freely. There is a little bit of clutch chatter at idle but it's not bad. And absolutely replace the pivot ball while the clutch is out, the stock Nissan one is weaksauce and skip that Agency Power clutch line and go right for the one I link to below when I mention the mushy clutch. I didn't even use the one I originally got, it was faulty and I never ended up sending it back.

Here's what I put in when the time came to replace the clutch. I picked up mine from FRSport, you can find them on NICO's Advertiser Directory.

If you're having problems with a mushy clutch, or if you ever do, check this out.

Welcome to NICO! :badger

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

This is one of the areas where I completely disagree with the masses of "conventional wisdom". The stock clutch uses a dual mass flywheel, replacing the clutch does not necessitate replacing of the flywheel, in most cases just scuffing the surface with a sanding block and cleaning with brake clean is sufficient. if it's scratched pretty bad the surface can be ground by a competent machine shop it just takes a bit more effort to secure the flywheel properly. Yes, if you managed to wear the clutch to the rivets and gouged the flywheel it will need replacing but that's pretty rare. Stock replacement flywheels as with most OE parts are spendy, aftermarket simpler lightweight flywheels are substantially cheaper and offer less rotating mass making the engine feel a touch peppier. For me as an autocrosser it's a big no no as it's not legal in stock (street) or street touring classes. If you aren't involved in motorsports this isnt a consideration. Yes it's easier to replace it all once than to risk pulling it apart again but honestly the z33 isn't a particularly difficult trans to pull and with a lift I'm sure I could have one out in about half an hour, probably about an hour sans lift. Back in is trickier especially when on your back.

With cost being your main factor I'd scuff and clean the flywheel, get an aftermarket disk and PP recruit a bud or 2 and plan on spending half a day on it, mostly learning where what is and fighting the track back in, also be sure you get a clutch alignment tool, most come with but without you'll never get it centered right.

Alee4200
Car: Nissan 2003 350z enthusiast

Have a 2003 350 z manual with 250,000 miles and original clutch. Clutch works fine,but I'm getting a loud noise from what I'm being told is a throw out or pilot bearing . It's so loud I need to replace the clutch. The car runs great and body is excellent .
Dealer told me $2000 for parts and $1000 for labor!!!
What to do?

BusyBadger
'05 Nissan 350Z
'13 Nissan Juke

Alee4200 wrote:What to do?
Go somewhere else.

Look at my early post in this thread and follow the "Here's what I put in" link, everything I out in was great quality and it was probably closer to $1500 for parts, and most of that was for a lightweight flywheel.

If you're not doing the work yourself ask around for some mechanic recommendations from friends & coworkers, check Google and online forums and then start making some calls. OEM parts are usually more expensive than the aftermarket equivalent so you can save some money if you do the shopping yourself. Just make sure that whoever is doing the work is ok using parts that they didn't supply.

Alee4200

Thanks !
That's exactly what I'm going to do.

BusyBadger
'05 Nissan 350Z
'13 Nissan Juke

And Welcome to NICO! :badger

Alee4200

This seems like a pretty good deal for a clutch and flywheel combination. does anyone agree

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EXEDY-PAZ-STAGE ... #vi-ilComp

Return to “350z / 370z Technical”