clunking noise from the rear

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
xagna

While idling at stop, when ever I shift into 1st gear or Reverse, I hear clunking noise and jolt from rear of the car. It sound as if the sound and jolt comes from rear diff but not sure. Could this be the subframe moving or rear diff moving? I have stock subframe bushings and stock rear diff. What could be the solution?

rsmithdrift
Car: 1993 240sx fastback se.

Most likely the UV joint on the driveshaft needs replaced or on either or both of the half shafts. There are alot of UV joints on these cars and any one of them can go out and cause the problem you just described.

Good luck.

xagna

Thanks a lot for the reply. What is the worst case scenario if this gets worse? How do I check if UV joint is bad visually? Does this mean I have to change the half shaft or drive shaft as whole?

Flicktitty
Car: 1989 Nissan 240sx 2JZ-GTE Swapped
1994 Toyota Supra
2019 Lexus GX460
1992 Lexus SC400

I have the same problem with My Z31, Im just replacing everything. Alot easier that way!

rsmithdrift

It's U joint, not UV, sorry, I got confused thinking about CV joints.

Anyways, worst case senario, you take it to the shop, they figure out it's the driveshaft and have to replace it. It'd be the most expensive. The half shafts aren't as bad, but if by some fluke they both need replaced then that'd get a tad pricy. Idk the actual cost though, that depends on where you take it or if you do it yourself.

xagna

You are talking about the universal joints, right? Do half shafts have universal joints too?

Is possible to just change the u-joint out of whole thing of driveshaft or half shaft?

rsmithdrift

the half shafts have two u joints in each one. There are two half shafts, so that's four. Yeah, it's surprising they don't go more often. If you can swap out the u joints w/o swaping the driveshaft then, go for it, but to my knowledge you can't. Sounds to me like you should take it to a good, well known shop in your town and see what they say about it.

S14KoukiMonster
Car: 1997.5 Nissan 240SX LE 5spd.

If it is one/all of your "spider assemblies"/U joints in your rear axles. rsmith drift said "If you can swap out the u joints w/o swapping the driveshaft, then, go for it, but to my knowledge you can't." I'm not sure exacly what he means, but you can rebuild your old axle w/new spider assemblies. These axles are pretty much the same as CV axles except they only have splines on the wheel side and bolt to the side flange connected to the diff. And the best difference-they're the same legnth( YAY, no torque steer). But the rebuild process is the same. If it were my car (PENDING THAT THIS IS YOUR PROBLEM BECAUSE I CAN'T KNOW FOR SURE) I'd rebuild them because I know how to. If you're taking it to a shop, get a new axle(s) because the labour time would be more to rebuild than to replace.

If you're going to do it yourself, make another post if you need any advice.

PS-This advice was given ASSUMING that this is your problem, based on the description given. Try to further diagnose it yourself w/ a friend listening before doing anything though, it won't hurt. You could jack up rear, place on stands at pinch weld, remove rear tires, start engine and put into 1st and reverse several times and get your friend to watch listen to axles as they engage and spin. Also with eng off feel for freeplay @ joints(rubber boots)by grabbing axles (one hand on each side of the boot) and twisting each hand in opposite directions.

daniel240
Car: cars/motocross

does it only make the clunking sound when you put it into gear or is it when you are taking off. Because I have this same problem except mine only does it when im taking off or shifting at low rpms. When im letting the clutch out I will hear a clunking sound when the rear end starts to engage.

xagna

Thanks a lot for your advices, guys. I am going to change the subframe bushings and rear differenrial bushings first and see if this problem continues or not.

Daniel, clunk happens only when gear shifter goes into 1st or R gears. Letting the clutch doesn't make the clunking.

TanManS14
Car: 1995 240sx

does it only make the clunking sound when you put it into gear or is it when you are taking off. Because I have this same problem except mine only does it when im taking off or shifting at low rpms. When im letting the clutch out I will hear a clunking sound when the rear end starts to engage.[/QUOTEIm having the same problem with mine. Whenever I let out the clutch without heeltoing and stuff it just makes a big clunk from the rear. And from what Ive been told its just the U joint. To I have to rebuild all my axles and stuff to replace the U joint? Thanks guys.

S14KoukiMonster

TanMan S14- In reply to your question regarding rebuilding/replacing axles read the reply I made earlier on this page, I'm too lazy to write it all again. Xagna- Why would you replace parts before diagnosis? I would be VERY suprised if that fixes your problem. Better tighten your muffler bearings and top up your headlight fluid while you're at it.jk

lrb_2000
Car: '91 KA-T hatch

My car is making that noise also.. :\

Whenever I take off, or shift into a gear at lower speeds, it makes this nice noise from the diff... I just want something to break so I can fix it.. lol.

daniel240

I was listening today and the clunking noise from my car seems to be coming from the right rear of the car. It does it everytime i dont let the clutch out very smooth. I have a spec stage II clutch so its hard to take off real smooth. anyone have any ideas what this could be? Sometimes it will do it a couple times in a row when im taking off. I will be letting the clutch out and as it starts to engage i will hear a clunk clunk clunk clunk from the right rear and it will stop as soon as the clutch is all the way out.

TanManS14

Wait how did you know my headlights were messed up Koiri? Oh **** I see you were just saying Im a dumbass and didnt know anything. Thanks... there goes my self esteem... Any ways my dad says that hes done it before and that thats what it sounds like. I also have a friend who has replaced the U joints on his car, but it wasnt a 240 so It could be differenct. And didnt you take that hedlight fluid thing from an importtuner article?
Modified by TanManS14 at 12:49 PM 2/1/2006

TanManS14

daniel240 wrote:I was listening today and the clunking noise from my car seems to be coming from the right rear of the car. It does it everytime i dont let the clutch out very smooth. I have a spec stage II clutch so its hard to take off real smooth. anyone have any ideas what this could be? Sometimes it will do it a couple times in a row when im taking off. I will be letting the clutch out and as it starts to engage i will hear a clunk clunk clunk clunk from the right rear and it will stop as soon as the clutch is all the way out.
This is exactly to a tee what mine does, I hope someone can pinpoint the problem...

S14KoukiMonster

No the top note was for YOU( re- axle rebuild/replace info I had already posted at the top of the page)

The muffler bearing and headlight fluid comment was for Xagna(the original poster of this thread) NOT YOU:)

xagna

daniel240 wrote:I was listening today and the clunking noise from my car seems to be coming from the right rear of the car. It does it everytime i dont let the clutch out very smooth. I have a spec stage II clutch so its hard to take off real smooth. anyone have any ideas what this could be? Sometimes it will do it a couple times in a row when im taking off. I will be letting the clutch out and as it starts to engage i will hear a clunk clunk clunk clunk from the right rear and it will stop as soon as the clutch is all the way out.

In your case, I would look at the u-joint as rsmith told us. May be the right half shaft.

xagna

S14KoukiMonster wrote:Xagna- Why would you replace parts before diagnosis? I would be VERY suprised if that fixes your problem. Better tighten your muffler bearings and top up your headlight fluid while you're at it.jk
Sure, I have to tighten my zipper on my pants too... I am thinking about changing the subframe bushings (or installing bushing collars) because I don't feel like U-joint would make a clunking just by engaging gears while completely stopped. Particularly with clutches depressed, there isno reason for drive-shaft and half-shafts to move at all and thus u-joints to move and clunk. Is there?

S14KoukiMonster

I suppose I mis-unstood your original Q(sorry). I thought you meant when putting into gear and moving/taking off from a stop. But you REALLY mean when you put it into gear, but don't move AT ALL there's the clunk(Yes/No?). You're right, your axles wouldn't make that noise in THIS case.

Ok, now that I'm on the same page as you(I think lol). You're right again, it could be your diff bushings/rear sub-frm bushings. I would use a technician's stethoscope(you could get a cheap one for about $10, or better yet borrow one?) to listen to your diff/ rear sub-frm bushings(or other while a friend shifts it in and out of 1st and R. You should be able to pin-point the problem ALOT better anyway. It's worth a shot before dropping your sub-frame anyway.

S14KoukiMonster

PS-fyi there's a post(stuck post @ top of page) regarding the sub-frame bushing install in the brake/susp./wheels/tires section. Just thought you might want to take a peek(you might have already) if that's what your problem turns out to be.

KAKILLERS13
Car: S13 SR, S14

It looks like it happens to alot of people. I just recently broke my left axle just out of know where. My car made the exact same noises clunks at low rpm shifts, and while taking off in 1st/rev

TanManS14

S14KoukiMonster wrote:No the top note was for YOU( re- axle rebuild/replace info I had already posted at the top of the page)

The muffler bearing and headlight fluid comment was for Xagna(the original poster of this thread) NOT YOU:)
oh, ya hince the quote box huh, thanks man. Dont worry I just smacked myself.

daniel240

hey KAKILLERS13 you said you broke your axle. Did you replace it and did you noise stop after that?

xagna

S14KoukiMonster wrote:I suppose I mis-unstood your original Q(sorry). I thought you meant when putting into gear and moving/taking off from a stop. But you REALLY mean when you put it into gear, but don't move AT ALL there's the clunk(Yes/No?). You're right, your axles wouldn't make that noise in THIS case.

Ok, now that I'm on the same page as you(I think lol). You're right again, it could be your diff bushings/rear sub-frm bushings. I would use a technician's stethoscope(you could get a cheap one for about $10, or better yet borrow one?) to listen to your diff/ rear sub-frm bushings(or other while a friend shifts it in and out of 1st and R. You should be able to pin-point the problem ALOT better anyway. It's worth a shot before dropping your sub-frame anyway.
I didn't know you left a reply in meantime. Sorry for late reply. I ordered subframe bushing kit from techotoytunes.

I think that stethoscope idea is really good one. I should have read your post yesterday before buying the bushings online cuz I have a stethoscope which I bought to listen to my girl friend's heart beat. Her right hand nearly broke my nose.

ghettoslide
Car: '90 240sx, '91 240sx, '98 DSM, '05 Avalance

Change the fluid in the diff. the drain plug is magnetic. they it magnetic so just in case you break a gear or a tooth off a gear it will hopfuly be caught by the plug be for it does more damage. Remove the plug and check for metal. Steel is a gear or gears, brass is the sycronizer or syncronizers aks dog gears. The brass will not be attracted by the magnet so be sure to check it with your finger. although if it is you sycros you would have trouble shifting gears unless you double clutched all the time. My friend had this problem and i found it at school when we had his car on the rack. Flsh the diff and check for metal.

daniel240

I know its nothing internally in the differential, I just replaced mine with an LSD and changed the oil a few months ago. The clunking that im hearing is definetely coming from the passenger rear end of the car. Ive had it jacked up and looked around back there but i still cant figure out whats causing the noise.

djtomy
Car: s13

I have the same exzact problem... when I first start to roll slowly easing out the clutch in 1st gear and wham! Clunk Clunk Clunk I have a Kaz 2 way lsd on my sr s13 and I know thats alittle different feeling than stock.. but I dont think it's the differential.. It's definitlly in the drivetrain and I dont think its in the transmission either.. If I ride the clutch keep the rpms a little higher than norm ease it out from a start it wont happen.. I just put the subframe collers in to see if that was it.. no difference.. I changed the diff fluid last night .. no difference.. what was it? and how did you fix it? Can a wheel bearing make this noise? what about a worn axle? what is that like?

Modified by djtomy at 11:18 AM 10/30/2007
Modified by djtomy at 3:49 PM 10/30/2007

usdm_180sx
Car: 1993 base model 240sx (s13)

It's your subframe movinging because of the bushings flexing. Get subframe spacers and the problem should go away.

djtomy
Car: s13

I put those in Saturday.. It didnt help.. I'm thinking Axles, or Differential... after driving it today I found that it only occurs when I'm taking off on a turn... so from a stand still if my car is pointing straight it dosent clunk.. any other idea's? what should i replace first the axles?

Modified by djtomy at 11:43 PM 10/30/2007
Modified by djtomy at 10:41 PM 11/2/2007

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”