Clunk, shudder, misfire cylinder 1, ignition coil.

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

This is for the long term Rogue owners. Anyways, while driving my decades old Nissan, I was feeling a clunk or shudder under my Rogue.

“Oh great, is this the beginning of my cvt imploding”? ... I thought.

In the beginning it was barely felt and thought it was in my mind. But the next day it was more obvious as I drove.

So I check the underbody and removed a rear wheel and tighten some bolts thinking it was because of my lift kit messing up my suspension.

Well the stupid Nissan Rogue computer gave me a reprieve and finally gave me a check engine light.
I was both upset taking my car apart but also very happy to finally know the problem.

I got a code that cylinder 1 was misfiring, so I took that spark plug out because it had a little oil on it and replaced it with the original old ones I saved.

I reset the code and the shudder clunk feeling was gone. Smooth riding again.

But there was a annoying ticking sound, I assumed coming from that same cylinder. So after research, I changed all the ignition coils since they had nearly 100,000k miles on them.

This eliminated the clicking sound. Of course the cvt still has the normal tapping sound but no longer the obvious click I was hearing near the spark plug giving me problems.

My Rogue is still alive and running very smooth again. :domo:

Thought I share this just in case your old rogue experiences these similar problems. :wavey:

casperfun

Update, I think the ticking sound is normal for this crappy cvt. :werd:

Other than that. Car runs great.

casperfun

Update:

I listen to my engine off & on with the hood up and I definitely notice the CLICKING from cylinder 1 is basically gone but the normal tapping that the engine makes is there as usual if that makes any sense.

Hopefully, you know what I mean.

If you're intune with the sounds of your vehicle, you will know what sounds normal and not. I don't expect grandma to notice but car aficionados like us would. :domo: :clap:

Return to “Rogue Forum”