Climate Control Buttons Lighting

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
RoyDaGeneral
Car: 2002 Infiniti QX4 2WD

The back lighting on most of my climate control buttons don't come on at night. Are there any replacement bulbs back there, or do I take a chance and get a unit from a wreck yard with the hope they would work.

mdmellott
Car: '13 Kia Soul+ 2.0L AT
'02 Pathfinder SE 3.5L AT P/4WD

I have a different climate control panel on my '02 Pathfinder than you have on your QX4 but I did have a burned out bulb issue on my A/C on and recirculate buttons. I had to carefully take apart the button switches to replace the bulbs, which I bought from Radio Shack years ago before they closed their doors. Those bulbs were just like these from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Eiko-7219-5-7219 ... =8-47&th=1
They are very inexpensive, at about a buck each, but it is a bit of a pain to carefully disassemble the panel and switches to replace them. By the looks of your control panel, you would have to disassemble it anyways to discover where the bulbs are hiding and if the one I reference is correct.

RoyDaGeneral

mdmellott wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:13 pm
I have a different climate control panel on my '02 Pathfinder than you have on your QX4 but I did have a burned out bulb issue on my A/C on and recirculate buttons. I had to carefully take apart the button switches to replace the bulbs, which I bought from Radio Shack years ago before they closed their doors. Those bulbs were just like these from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Eiko-7219-5-7219 ... =8-47&th=1
They are very inexpensive, at about a buck each, but it is a bit of a pain to carefully disassemble the panel and switches to replace them. By the looks of your control panel, you would have to disassemble it anyways to discover where the bulbs are hiding and if the one I reference is correct.
Awesome, but why are the power wires of those bulbs that long, do you just cut them off to size?

mdmellott

Yep. Just cut off the excess. It was about five years ago when I replaced mine so I'm a little foggy on how they attached in the socket that holds then in place. I do not remember having to solder them in place. I do remember it being very easy and obvious to replace them once I got the switch button taken apart to access the burned out bulb and I remember almost the entire length of the replacement bulb lead lengths were cut off after connecting them to the bulb socket. Yours may be different but there is a good chance it's the same connection type.

RoyDaGeneral

mdmellott wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:21 pm
Yep. Just cut off the excess. It was about five years ago when I replaced mine so I'm a little foggy on how they attached in the socket that holds then in place. I do not remember having to solder them in place. I do remember it being very easy and obvious to replace them once I got the switch button taken apart to access the burned out bulb and I remember almost the entire length of the replacement bulb lead lengths were cut off after connecting them to the bulb socket. Yours may be different but there is a good chance it's the same connection type.
Did you access those bulbs by removing the buttons on the front panel or thru the interior of the a/c unit? I know it's been a while for you.

mdmellott

I had to remove the a/c unit and carefully take it apart in order to get to the button switches to remove them from the unit and then carefully take those apart to get to the bulbs. I use the word "carefully" because I can't think of a better term to use for taking apart something that was never meant to be taken apart. I seem to recall now that I may of actually had to use superglue on one of the switches when I put it back together because I wasn't as careful as I should have been taking apart the first switch. I remember cracking some tiny plastic piece before I figured out how to disassemble it. The second switch was easier once I learned from my mistake and it came apart and snapped back together without any issues. This is tedious bench work and requires patience and tiny tools. I work as an electrical/mechanical engineer and technician so I'm kind of use to this sort of thing.

born2lse

How can you tell if someone's an engineer?
Dont worry, they'll tell you.

mdmellott

:rotfl :lolling: :rotflmao

mdmellott

born2lse wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:22 pm
It's just a job title. No degree. I prefer glorified grease monkey but you really missed the point of how this task is not usually done unless you're willing to spend the time to figure it out and take the risk, for what it's worth.

mdmellott

born2lse ... I don't want to believe you or anybody is born to lose?

RoyDaGeneral

mdmellott wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:38 am
I had to remove the a/c unit and carefully take it apart in order to get to the button switches to remove them from the unit and then carefully take those apart to get to the bulbs. I use the word "carefully" because I can't think of a better term to use for taking apart something that was never meant to be taken apart. I seem to recall now that I may of actually had to use superglue on one of the switches when I put it back together because I wasn't as careful as I should have been taking apart the first switch. I remember cracking some tiny plastic piece before I figured out how to disassemble it. The second switch was easier once I learned from my mistake and it came apart and snapped back together without any issues. This is tedious bench work and requires patience and tiny tools. I work as an electrical/mechanical engineer and technician so I'm kind of use to this sort of thing.
I certainly appreciate your diligence and your input here. Believe it or not, today I got notification that a QX4 was at my local junk yard. So, I went and removed the climate control unit, paid $30 and took it apart, which was much simpler than what you had to go thru. There are 4 tiny bulbs in their sockets that light up that unit and they're embedded in the circuit board. Fortunately they are all good, so I just swapped them with my original unit dead bulbs, and will keep this unit as a spare.

born2lse

mdmellott wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:14 pm
born2lse wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:22 pm
It's just a job title. No degree. I prefer glorified grease monkey but you really missed the point of how this task is not usually done unless you're willing to spend the time to figure it out and take the risk, for what it's worth.
No judgement, just something funny I've noticed. You'd be surprised by how often somebody with preface or end their opinon with "I'm an engineer".

Micallen
Car: 2003 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4 V6

RoyDaGeneral wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:48 pm
mdmellott wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:38 am
I certainly appreciate your diligence and your input here. Believe it or not, today I got notification that a QX4 was at my local junk yard. So, I went and removed the climate control unit, paid $30 and took it apart, which was much simpler than what you had to go thru. There are 4 tiny bulbs in their sockets that light up that unit and they're embedded in the circuit board. Fortunately they are all good, so I just swapped them with my original unit dead bulbs, and will keep this unit as a spare.
Same bulbs I replaced on my Pathfinder. Got them from Superbrightleds. Fairly easy. AC looks great now.

Serdriver
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE

Nissan Bulb 27545-1W600

This is what you need if you auto climate control. There are write ups on how to change the four that are behind it. They simply screw out, but they are super delicate, so be gentle when turning ¼ turn. Just did this and took about 30 minutes with taking out top vents (again, be gentle when pulling the dash panel, it easily breaks if pulled too hard) unscrewing the unit, replacing bulbs, cleaning it up, putting it back in.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”