Clicking sound when accelerating from stop

Nissan 350z / Nissan 370z technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
LearningZ

Hello all, I am new to this forum and need some help diagnosing an issue I am having. I am capable of doing repairs (been in the performance build world in the past) but haven't got my hands dirty in a while.

The issue I am having with my 2005 350 is when I load the rear suspension (either from a roll or dead stop, as soon as the weight transfers) I get a clicking sound from the rear wheel area on both sides. The sound is not at the same time but offset..click.click. If I am rolling at say 15 mph and then hit the accelerator, same thing.

How can I locate the problem? I'm sure most of you know where this could be coming from and is t something I can fix. Thanks

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

There is a TSB out for this. basically the rear wheel bearings seat and you get a miniscule amount of play in the stub axle. The fix is to pop the cv shaft out, pop the stub axle out, clean the surfaces and reinstall. It's not a problem to worry about and if you find the noise troubling the fix isn't terribly difficult or time consuming.

LearningZ

Thank you! Is this a service that Nissan will cover for free if I take it to them? Thanks again!

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

No, not a service campaign, just a TSB. a TSB = Tech Service Bulletin. It's just instructions for how techs are supposed to address certain issues when servicing a vehicle.
http://www.notre350z.com/forum/files/up ... kClack.pdf

Return to “350z / 370z Technical”