Clicking noise when driving.

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
nissantkguy
Car: 1996 Nissan truck

Hello,
I just registered to this forum. I have a 1996 Nissan truck with 4-spd automatic. I am experiencing a strange noise when moving forward or in reverse. But not when stopped with the engine running. It starts clicking right after starting to move forward or in reverse. The noise is not related to engine rpms. It is not valve noise. And the noise is erratic, not steady. It is coming from behind the glove box. Or it appears to be coming from that area. Inside the vehicle. The air bag is not functional. The red warning light for the air bag is on. This noise almost sounds like a relay switch that is constantly engaging and disengaging. I have tried changing all of the heater controls in every position possible and it doesn't stop the noise. I removed the glove box and the steel 90 degree plate behind it and couldn't find the culprit. The strangest thing is that when I pull up to a stop, the noise also stops. I am wondering if the non-functioning air bag is causing some electronic malfunction. Thanks...........

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Welcome aboard!

I'm guessing you're hearing a relay or solenoid related to the airbag.

You can double-check wiring and components in the FSM, which you can get at nissanservicemanuals.com for free. :)

nissantkguy

Thanks for that tip. I went to your link and opened it up. The RS section pertained to the air bag troubleshooting diagnostics. But showed no physical locations for a relay or solenoid in air bag electronics. The noise is coming from behind the glove box. I don't know if this vehicle has an air bag installed. Replacing the fuse for the air bag doesn't turn off the air bag warning light. I might have to tear deeper into the dash. Thanks........

nissantkguy

I think I figured out that clicking noise. It is the heater/air duct solenoids clicking. The noise is less often and the air duct position/defroster/heater selection all work, so I never replaced the solenoids. Thanks.......

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”