Clicking/Knocking Noise after gear change

Nissan 350z / Nissan 370z technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
respectspectro
Car: Nissan 2006 350z Touring Convertible

I just noticed it today while back in parking in my garage but there's a pretty loud clicking noise coming from underneath, possibly the back of my car anytime I ease off the breaks after switching gears from a full stop. In my case it was from reverse to drive and vice versa. I don't know if it's always done this or if my tranny is going out or what!

BusyBadger
Car: '92 Nissan 240SX
'05 Nissan 350Z
'13 Nissan Juke

Is it constant or intermittent?

If it's intermittent...

Are you sure or could vehicle and road noise at speed perhaps be drowning out the noise?

Have you been able to duplicate the noise/make it happen?

If it's constant...

Does it change in speed or pitch with varying vehicle speed?

A coupe of other questions, how many miles are in the car? Maintenance record ok? How old/how many miles are on the clutch? What about the brakes? Have you been underneath the car at all to see if there's something caught up in the undercarriage?

If you can duplicate it try making a recording, uploading it to youtube and posting a link.

Welcome to NICO! :badger

djwarner
Car: 1971 240Z Series I
2006 350Z

Is it a single click each time you switch from forward to reverse - or vice versa. If so, it a wearing U-joint in the drive line. Or it could be a loosened coupling in the drive line.

respectspectro
Car: Nissan 2006 350z Touring Convertible

It's intermittent, i.e. whenever I'm on the brake and switching between gears. I am due for my 78k mile service, I'm about to hit 80k. Here are two videos I was able to capture:

This one is probably the clearest
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MOUmGRNTNw[/youtube]

And this one too just in case
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TuzM4kUY1c[/youtube]
Last edited by Rogue One on Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fix video link

djwarner
Car: 1971 240Z Series I
2006 350Z

Definitely not U-joints. Unless some of our other readers have encountered this, I say it's time to let the experts at the Nissan Dealer have a go at it.

BusyBadger
Car: '92 Nissan 240SX
'05 Nissan 350Z
'13 Nissan Juke

I've watched the videos a few times and been searching through the FSM off and on today, letting things percolate hoping I'd have some "Eureka!" moment, but I've got nothing so far.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

There was a TSB a while back for this issue on Zs, Gs, and believe it or not, Armadas (basically things with IRS and RWD).

If you can, try and put your ear closer to the wheels to see if its coming from there.

The TSB was for the half shaft actually deforming elastically (twisting), building up energy, and then slipping (again, elastically) going from fwd/rev, or even changing gears.
If you pull your half shafts away from your wheel bearing and see no grease between the 2, and striations on the 2 mating surfaces, that'll be your issue. Grease the 2 surfaces with the heaviest duty grease you can find (preferably with a crap ton of Molybdenum Disulfide), re-assemble, and see if it goes away.

You might actually want to get the grease ("Molykote M77") from Nissan. It is imperative that you use the correct grease to sustain the longevity of the repair. Also, do not over-torque the axle nut.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

Found the TSB:
http://www.notre350z.com/forum/files/up ... kClack.pdf

note- Nissan calls the halfshafts (or axles) driveshafts. Driveshafts to them are called prop shafts.

And here's a video of a guy performing the TSB:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9NsxI8XbLs[/youtube]

CHEERS!

RED_DET
Vendor
Car: 2004 6 speed G35 Sedan, 2011 G37x, 1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R SR20DET, C7Z06

^^^^he is definitely on the right track. I was going to say the axles.

Heavy
Car: 1992 Mr.Two, 1996 LS4HUNNID, 1999 Appliance on wheels.

Pop the rear axles out, clean the splines, grease and re-install. Did this about a year ago and fixed the issue

Return to “350z / 370z Technical”