Click / Clunk in Versa Note Drive axle

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
Douginaz
Car: 2014 Versa Note SV

The short version:
My new (used) 2014 Versa Note makes a click in the drive-line when the transmission is engaged in either forward or reverse (most of the time). The click occurs when the drive torque changes direction.
The noise is coming from the left axle at the hub where the splined drive axle rotates ever so slightly within the hub when drive torque changes direction by 25-50 ft-lbs.
It seems to be a nuisance problem that really does not need to be fixed, unless it becomes critical-mass.

This also seems to be a known problem as there is a video on youtube about Z-cars with this problem. The fix suggested by the author is to load the splines in the axle/hub with blue thread sealer and let it cure.

The details:
I recently bought the Note from my son, who had purchased it used about a year earlier. The invoice from the dealer noted that there was a click in the drive-line at the time he purchased it (w/ 40K miles). I didn't notice the noise right away, but it became noticeable in the heat of the Arizona summer.

I was able to force the click when the car was not driven by placing the transmission in Park, with engine and hand brake off. If you grab either wheel and rotate it by hand either direction against the parking brake stop, it will click when the torque is above a certain threshold.

With one wheel removed, I checked each axle, feeling for a click, as I used a bar to apply torque to wheel. It became obvious when I felt the click in the left drive axle, right at the hub end of the CV joint.

At the moment, I don't plan to do anything about it, unless it gets a lot worse, but am always open to suggestions.

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

Hi Doug, welcome to NICO Club!

We have a Versa, but I haven't noticed such a click. Maybe it's play in the splines or joints and is within tolerance. I imagine such measurements would be in the Factory Service Manual. Have you looked at that? You can download it or view it from our website. Here is a link:
http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Versa/2014%20Versa%20Note/
Actually, that is a link to a page with links to each chapter. We don't have it as an assembled PDF. They can be viewed or downloaded one at a time. If you look to the FWD chapter, that's the Foreward and it will have the table of contents, so maybe start there.

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

Anybody dumb enough to stuff RTV into axle splines deserves what will happen in short order, that stuff will absolutely NOT stay in place under oily conditions and it would quickly migrate inboard to the diff carrier bearings to tear the trans up in short order. Simply put, a VERY stupid thing to do................

EVERY CV axle I've ever played with clicks or clunks if rotated by hand under the car, even brand new ones............And I meched on them for years.

The noise you are hearing is commonly greater than that or the rear trans mount which stops engine rotation and windup, once loose they often clunk under load change like that, it is almost impossible to hear a CV axle joint clunk while driving the cars unless they are totally dead.

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

PS - it's not likely the splines. There's so little play in those things. And, as amc49 mentions, don't just put RTV into stuff, especially spinning and moving parts. It's good as a liquid gasket seal on static assemblies. Your plan to drive and observe sounds best.

txchamps
Car: 2015 Versa Note SV, 2023 Kia Rio S

FWIW: I had a similar clacking sound with my 2014 when it was brand new. Took it to dealer, and they diagnosed it as an improperly installed wheel bearing on the right front. They fixed it, and the clack went away. Don;t know if it's the same sound you are experiencing, but, hey, just thought I'd report my experience.

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

I'm quickly coming to the conclusion that Nissan CV joints are crap. '11 Nissan Versa with 60 K miles and began to make noise on both sides at steering rack limit, now it makes noise and jerks the wheels while turning the car around in a parking lot, the joints are getting worse and now at 75 K. My Fords that I cuss so much are still tight like new at those miles; they don't get that loose at 200K.

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”